Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre

My god. Didn't realize they put THAT much emphasis on the ever-elusive super bowl ring...to put Brett Favre ahead of Marino...I mean, come on.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
My god. Didn't realize they put THAT much emphasis on the ever-elusive super bowl ring...to put Brett Favre ahead of Marino...I mean, come on.
or Elway for that matter :rolleyes:

I think that's why Dan played so long trying to get that ring, he knew there would always be that astrick by his name..it's unfortunate, but it seems like that's gonna to follow him...While I like Bret and Elway, they're no Marino..He has just about every record this is, they've got to be kiddin.

I still think he's the best. Does anyone think Marino wouldn't have won on Farve's '96 team?? Elway's '97/'98 teams?? Or how about any of Montana's SB teams?? Montana said it himself, if they had switched places, Dan would probably have had more rings than Joe.

I got an idea......would Favre, Elway, or Montana have won titles in Miami?? I don't think so.

to me
  1. Dan
  2. Johnny U
  3. Fouts
  4. the rest of the guys
    [/list=1]

those 3 were great QB, not the QB of great teams

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I don't really want to comment on the order of these great players....

I just want to point out that you have to watch alot of Brett Favre throughout the years to appreciate what he has really acclomplished...

That playoff team in Green Bay last year went as far as Brett Favre could take them.....He is all they had...

It's unfortunate, but that stupid ring means a lot from a historical perspective. Just ask Fran Tarkenton; the guy whose records Dan broke week after week. While Fran was great and most people in the know acknowledge him as such, the average fan probably doesn't even know who the guy is/was. Sad, just sad.

Originally posted by 1972dolphins

I don't really want to comment on the order of these great players....

I just want to point out that you have to watch alot of Brett Favre throughout the years to appreciate what he has really acclomplished...

That playoff team in Green Bay last year went as far as Brett Favre could take them.....He is all they had...

I'd have to disagree with that last statement as Favre was nowhere near being the dominant force he has been in years past in his play this past season. I watched a lot of Packers games and I can honestly say that the Favre of the second half of the season looked like a man who just wasn't into what he was doing.

In other word, last year's Packer team made the playoffs in spite of Favre.

Originally posted by Muck
I still think he's the best. Does anyone think Marino wouldn't have won on Farve's '96 team?? Elway's '97/'98 teams?? Or how about any of Montana's SB teams?? Montana said it himself, if they had switched places, Dan would probably have had more rings than Joe.

I got an idea......would Favre, Elway, or Montana have won titles in Miami?? I don't think so.

Montana never would have. He was good, but just look at that talent around him. I think Favre and Elway could have taken the team about as far as Marino ever did because of their uncanny abilities to put their teams on their backs.....on Denver's losing Super Bowl teams, Elway didn't have a whole lot more talent than Miami did in their best years with Marino.

I don't put a lot of stock in that list because it's just one person's opinion. Hey, if they want to qualify being a top-three QB with having a Super Bowl ring, then that is their criteria. For the whole stats package, though, no one is better than Dan, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Muck

Yes I think the odds of those teams winning would have gone down with Marino as their starting QB's.

He simply hated to rush the ball, because it took away from passing the ball and he would have done his BEST to not get a rushing game going for those teams. He has made it clear the rushing game is only good for when a team has a lead. This explains why what happened here in Miami, happened.

Like it or not Marino did as much to harm this franchises chances to win a title with his constant attack agaisnt the rushing attack as he did to help it with his amazing passing abilities.

Marino was a GREAT player, but he had some very serious faults. It was his way or the highway, and that included the HC that coached him.

And yes I know this is not a popular opinion that I hold about Marino, but that's just how I see things.

Oliver...

Originally posted by DolphinzD

Montana never would have. He was good, but just look at that talent around him. I think Favre and Elway could have taken the team about as far as Marino ever did because of their uncanny abilities to put their teams on their backs.....on Denver's losing Super Bowl teams, Elway didn't have a whole lot more talent than Miami did in their best years with Marino.

I don't put a lot of stock in that list because it's just one person's opinion. Hey, if they want to qualify being a top-three QB with having a Super Bowl ring, then that is their criteria. For the whole stats package, though, no one is better than Dan, in my opinion.

I disagree, Montana made those players better. Just as they made him better. The point is they were a team, and they played like a team and that is what makes Montana the BEST QB ever. He did nothing to hold his teams back.

He did that with many combinations of talent essembled as well.

Oliver...

Don't know if it's about the ring. Moon over Kelly and yet Moon never mad it to the sb? Personal achievements.

Then Farve/Elway over Marino which could be arguably be because of the ring.

:huh:

Originally posted by Oliver

Yes I think the odds of those teams winning would have gone down with Marino as their starting QB's.

He simply hated to rush the ball, because it took away from passing the ball and he would have done his BEST to not get a rushing game going for those teams. He has made it clear the rushing game is only good for when a team has a lead. This explains why what happened here in Miami, happened.

Like it or not Marino did as much to harm this franchises chances to win a title with his constant attack agaisnt the rushing attack as he did to help it with his amazing passing abilities.

Marino was a GREAT player, but he had some very serious faults. It was his way or the highway, and that included the HC that coached him.

And yes I know this is not a popular opinion that I hold about Marino, but that's just how I see things.

Oliver...

I'm glad you said that. It's important for everyone to have their own opinions about things.

Back
Top Bottom