Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre

Originally posted by Justafan
So why are the rest better than Marino then?

They're not, this was a magazine's wish list, doesn't make it true, and I'm not saying this because Dan played for Miami, But when you set every record, make every throw, play as long as Dan did, do you really see those other guys better than Dan. As CK stated, it was the SB rings apparently in those guys eyes, Now Moon and Kelly are equal, they both don't have SB rings, but Moon did complete more Passes than Jim, if you're note, Dan's ahead of Kelly and Kelly went to more SB's..bottom line, you're trying to ask me to explain the logic behind these guys lists, that even I don't agree with..but i'm doing my best.:D

"What a joke. Dan is the best QB ever. Putting Elway or Favre ahead of him is a joke."

Gee, you are not biased at all, are you? ; )

Having watched all of Elway's games, I can give oodles of reasons I think he is one of if not the best ever. Just as you can with Dan. I think they are both excellent QB's though, and if there is a reason that Elway is listed ahead of Dan, it indeed is because of those rings. And the last game he played, the Falcons dared Elway to beat them, stifling our running game. Elway said 'ok'.. and threw for over 300 yards and the MVP. He had it until his last game.

Favre I can see being up there.. he is quite a player. I don't care for him really as a person, but he has some amazing football skills, I'm constantly amazed watching him. A bit to egotisical for my tastes, and he did have the pain pill fiasco, but he did well. Better than Marino? I would say no, just because of Marino's awesome #'s.

My biggest gripe is Montana. He had poise, I'll give him that. But he was also the happy beneficiary of being in the WORST division in football. It was a guaranteed playoff berth, when the then horrible Falcons, Rams and Co. were their opponents half of the year.

Montana was good, but I think he was the lucky recipient of a very effective system. The first WCO.. no one could handle it. As a QB, I think he had rather poor scrambling skills, an ok arm, and awesome vision in the field. But I think had he been playing in Denver OR in Miami, he would have been toast.

Elway just so you know, had it *horrible* in Denver. Not only did we have a horrible oline, and a non existant running game until Davis came along, he had to play under Reeves, who was a tyrant who insisted we run. Drove me nuts.

Once Shanahan came to Denver, Elway posted his best years ever. I've no doubt at all that had Elway not been kept at bay by Reeves, his #'s would have easily rivaled Marino's (not to cheapon the records Marino set mind, he was a machine!)

But I am all for suppoting your QB when he is an awesome one. As a Bronco fan, I am also assaulted with 'Elway.. he wasn't that great', all the time. People are clueless. ; )

And don't feel bad. When Elway wasn't even listed in the top 100 athletes in ESPN, I was seething. The put people ahead of him that baffled the mind. The reason? It was the year before he won his first SB. Winning the SB (and NOT winning it) unforunately seems to count for much. Far TO much, imo. Overlooking some of the greatest players because they were stuck on a horrible team is a sad thing. And it really seems to center on QBs. Barry Sanders probably will always be remembered as the greatest natural RB, or one of. Yet he won no SB's.

So don't be to angry.. people are clueless. And don't insult Elway overmuchly.. he really was a great QB. ; )

BroncoFox

A list is a list is a list....but no way do I believe that if every QB there was in a Draft that any QB would be taken ahead of Dan Marino.....

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
A list is a list is a list....but no way do I believe that if every QB there was in a Draft that any QB would be taken ahead of Dan Marino.....

If there was a level after Pro, and there was a draft for that next level I'm not sure that would be the case Mike. But who knows.

I know Marino would not be my 1st choice at QB from that list. My QB would have to get a 1st down with his legs as well as with his arm. I do not want a trick one pony back there, no matter how GREAT he is with that one trick.

I think as far as talent and potential, Elway would be the 1st choice, and if you like pedigree and winning ball games Montana would be 2nd, and then you flip a coin between Marino and Unitas.

Oliver...

Dan #1 John #2 Joe #3 Johnny #4 And Brett #5! What great or even above average RB was dan gonna hand the ball of to?Come on until any of the QB's had a good if not great running game they didn't win a SB!Good Balance wins a SB not all great QB's. If Dan or any of these QB's had this team they would have a SB ring after this year!(wether it be there 1st 3rd or 5th)

Originally posted by Oliver

If there was a level after Pro, and there was a draft for that next level I'm not sure that would be the case Mike. But who knows.

I know Marino would not be my 1st choice at QB from that list. My QB would have to get a 1st down with his legs as well as with his arm. I do not want a trick one pony back there, no matter how GREAT he is with that one trick.

I think as far as talent and potential, Elway would be the 1st choice, and if you like pedigree and winning ball games Montana would be 2nd, and then you flip a coin between Marino and Unitas.

Oliver...

Dan Marino had Great feet.....especially in is college and early pro years. Even when he was older, he had that ability to slip guys.....but no he wasnt a runner most his pro career.

Montana,then Marino then the rest,in no particular order.

To early for a list to include Danny. 30 years from now when our grand kids go to the sports almanac to see who the best QB of all time is they will find the name Daniel Constatine Marino. There are no records for most rings and records are the measuring stick.

When i went to that almanac I found Fran Tarkenton and I wanted to scramble just like h did.

Dan had the ability to maneuver inside the pocket, thats how he was an effective pocket passer. What puts Joe Montana at #1 in that list and ahead of marino was his famous comebacks. Sure marino had plenty, but no one could lead a team back better than montana. That is gonna stick out in people's minds, not to mention super bowl rings. Had Marino played for Frisco or Denver, he wouldve easily been #1.

Oliver...

the ability to scramble as a QB is very overrated. I equate it's importance to the ability of a WR to run a reverse. It's nice to have but it's irrelevant. Most scrambling QB's fumble and throw INTs too much and get injured a lot. The whole "you need a championship ring to be the best" is stupid. Ty Cobb is easily the best baseballl player ever and he has no WS ring.

Dan Marino IS the best QB ever! God bless him!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre

Simply, I don't agree with that.

Marino stifled the rushing attack by audible out of rushing plays, not calling them when he use to call the plays him self, and he also wore out his D. Marino’s GREATNESS to score at will and quickly, wore out our D, because they were constantly on the field.

I'm not sitting here blaming Marino ALONE for not winning a title; I am simply trying to make it clear I do not feel he is guiltless for not winning a title. He deserves as much credit for getting the Dolphins to a Super Bowl as he does for not winning one.

If someone wants to think Marino is guiltless for not winning a title for himself, his team, and for us the fans, that's their option.

Oliver...

Yes,yes,yes and hell yes! You cannot win consistently without controlling the clock. That was one of our problems last year with Ricky, he broke so many long runs that we could not control the clock with the time consuming grind it runs it requires to put time of possession heavely in our favor. I've seen the time when the Miami Dolphins averaged 80 yd drives and hold the ball most of the quarter. Only throw 10-12 times in the game. It wasn't exciting if you like to see the QB air it out....but...it did make for a PERFECT season.

In looking at these ratings, this particular rater values winning Super Bowls(overated in my opinion since generally defenses are much more responsible for Sper Bowl wins than quarterbacks) as a top criteria. This rater must also value running ability, which could be a reason Elway is ranked too high and Marino and Unitas are ranked lower than they should be.
Also the ranker erred badly by not including Roger Staubach on the list.

A note I still believe that Steve Young was a lot better than Joe Montanna.

Originally posted by mf52dolphin
In looking at these ratings, this particular rater values winning Super Bowls(overated in my opinion since generally defenses are much more responsible for Sper Bowl wins than quarterbacks) as a top criteria. This rater must also value running ability, which could be a reason Elway is ranked too high and Marino and Unitas are ranked lower than they should be.
Also the ranker erred badly by not including Roger Staubach on the list.

A note I still believe that Steve Young was a lot better than Joe Montanna.

I always thought of unitas as a very efficent scrambler. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom