Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino 4th best ever bahind Elway and Favre

Originally posted by Muck
I still think he's the best. Does anyone think Marino wouldn't have won on Farve's '96 team?? Elway's '97/'98 teams?? Or how about any of Montana's SB teams?? Montana said it himself, if they had switched places, Dan would probably have had more rings than Joe.

I got an idea......would Favre, Elway, or Montana have won titles in Miami?? I don't think so.

No arguing that.
Elway could'nt get it done either until a nicely wrapped present in the form of an all pro running back was delivered to Denver.
Montana...... PLEASE! That 49er team was completely loaded in almost every area. No doubt Danny got screwed by horrible draft pics and Shoes inability to build a team around him.

They can say what they want but they can't take his records from him. He's listed at NO. 1 in a majority of the categories for QB's.
Did that on a crap team as well.

Originally posted by justafan
He is the greatest passer, not the greatest leader.

That can certainly be argued the other way.
This guy singlehandedly drove the Phins to wins.
Overcoming teams scoring 20,30 and even 40 points per game on the Fins and he still pulled the games out.

This while every defense the Fins faced KNOWING that the Fins were going to pass because there was no running game.

That is like leading a group of 20 into a fight with a group of 50 and still coming out on top.

The only QB with more comeback victories is Elway if I'm not mistaken.

Comeback drives made exclusively by Dan's passing and nothing more. Passing against defenses pinning their ears back with a full on pass rush and defenses geared 100% for the pass.
Still was able to do it.

That is leadership plain and simple

Kelly is still the only QB to take off on a QB scramble lower his head and flatten a LB, placing him on the IR for the rest of the season (the LB in case anyone misunderstands). Don't get me started on his toughness!

Originally posted by DolphinzD

Montana never would have. He was good, but just look at that talent around him. I think Favre and Elway could have taken the team about as far as Marino ever did because of their uncanny abilities to put their teams on their backs.....on Denver's losing Super Bowl teams, Elway didn't have a whole lot more talent than Miami did in their best years with Marino.

I don't put a lot of stock in that list because it's just one person's opinion. Hey, if they want to qualify being a top-three QB with having a Super Bowl ring, then that is their criteria. For the whole stats package, though, no one is better than Dan, in my opinion.

Actually, Elway had a much better defense than Marino did. Marino was equally as good late in the game and was far better throughout the game, it's just that he had zero defense. Denver actually had one of the better AFC defenses throughout those years.

Here's my top 5:

1. Unitas - of all the greats, remember he was essentially QB AND Offensive Coordinator. Unlike the other guys, he called all his plays and ran the offense. He was a mastermind at attacking a defense as well as a great QB. His competitiveness was unmatched. He also played in an era where the DB's had a huge advantage before countless rule changes.

2. Montana - He wasn't as great a passer as Marino, but I do think he had perhaps the best instincts of all time. He was also impeccably accurate. More accurate than Dan by a hair, but not nearly the arm or the release.

3. Marino - Greatest passer of all time. Greatest release ever. Tremendous instincts for when to throw the ball. Very accurate and great deep ball. Equally as competitive as any QB ever.

4. Elway - An incredible arm - only Favre compares. But, he was often inaccurate. However, when the game was on the line, he was able get the job done both passing and running. A winner. Had better teams than Marino both in SB losing years and winning years.

5. Namath - 2nd greatest release of all time. Knew how to win. Also called the offense, and ran a masterful game against the Colts in the SB. He was also incredibly accurate. If he didn't have horrible knees and an OL that deserted him completely in later years, would be up higher. But, in his prime, he was equal to any others below him. He was, in reality, the precursor to Marino. Kind of like Dr. J to MJ.

- Favre, Staubach, Young, Aikman, etc. get honorable mention.

Lets end the debate.
1)The highest rated QB in Bronco history isn't Elway(hint: he's playing in Miami now). Elway didn't even break 80.0 in QB rating.

2)Both were nine time pro bowlers, Dan more so early in his career, Elway later.

3)Elway was 1st or 2nd in the league in attempts twice, completions twice, yards twice, & TDs once.
Marino was 1st or 2nd in the league in attempts ten times, completions nine times, yards seven times, & TDs six times.

4)Elway only had 74 more TDs than ints, Marino had 168.

5)Of course Dan owns all of the career stats so I won't list them all.

6)Elway had 6 seasons of plus 20 TDs, Marino has 13.

7)Most TDs Elway ever threw in a season was 27, Marino beat that in 5 different years.

8)Credit to both; Elway had a defense in the top half of the league 8 times, Marino 6.

9)Elway had 8 1000 yard rushers, Marino had 1.

10)Elway was 8-8 in the playoffs prior to TD's arrival, Marino was 8-10 still waiting for his TD to arrive.

11)Marino had more 4th quarter comebacks than anyone ever, Elway had more 2 minute comebacks than anyone.

Without Elway's two rings this wouldn't be a debate. Elway hitched a ride on Terrell Davis & got those rings. In the two Super Bowl runs Terrell had 100 yards rushing in every game(1049 total, 7 games, 5.5ypc) & 11 TDs. In those 7 games Elway had only 3 games where he threw for more than 200 yards & only one of those was over 300. A wopping 6 TD passes during those SB runs. You're telling me & the rest of the world that because of this Elway is better than Marino? The world thinks not.

Elway's career QB rating is 79.9; average at best, Steve Beuerlein's career QB rating is 80.9 & some people are trying to say Elway is better than Marino, get a clue.

Sources:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/ElwaJo00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MariDa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/denindex.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/miaindex.htm

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

5. Namath - 2nd greatest release of all time. Knew how to win. Also called the offense, and ran a masterful game against the Colts in the SB. He was also incredibly accurate. If he didn't have horrible knees and an OL that deserted him completely in later years, would be up higher. But, in his prime, he was equal to any others below him. He was, in reality, the precursor to Marino. Kind of like Dr. J to MJ.

- Favre, Staubach, Young, Aikman, etc. get honorable mention.

Namath in this list is a complete joke....

To support this opinion I'll point to an ESPN article of the 10 most overrated athletes ever. Sums it up perfectly.....

...."1. Joe Namath
I'm a Joe Namath fan from way back, so it pains me to say this, but Namath was a great quarterback for only a few seasons. He's been properly credited for leading the Jets to a Super Bowl III win (and a few bonus points for being cool enough to know he didn't have to pass to beat the Colts). Namath was an icon, a product of his times, and he played the New York tune in perfect key, fur coat and all. But as a player ... there have been dozens of better QBs in modern times. Some surprisingly lousy career stats to consider: 173 TD passes, 220 INTs, completion percentage of 50.1."

Yeah, he's one of the five greatest...... :nono:
Precursor to Marino?...... :eek:
Better all time than Favre, Aikman, Young?.... OYE.

The rest of the article can be found at the link below.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/alltimeoverrated.html

I'm guessing you never saw Namath play & are just making stuff up as you go. Namath has to be the most overrated player in NFL history.

Namath's career completion percentage-50.1%, yep that's incredibly accurate.

Number of years Namath had more TD passes than interceptions-2 out of 13, pathetic. (173 TDs to 220 ints)

Originally posted by SMadison29
Lets end the debate.
1)The highest rated QB in Bronco history isn't Elway(hint: he's playing in Miami now). Elway didn't even break 80.0 in QB rating.

Should I be scared now that you have a HOF back-up qb? That's really scary. I don't know what your point was in comparing Griese to Elway.

Originally posted by justafan

Should I be scared now that you have a HOF back-up qb? That's really scary. I don't know what your point was in comparing Griese to Elway.

keep the smack off the main board, I know it was smack because it was such a lame response to a great post.;)

Back
Top Bottom