Marino Hates Bubble Screens And I Do Too | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino Hates Bubble Screens And I Do Too

Surely we can put the debate on bubble screens to rest with some DATA.

What does the data say when it comes to YPbsA, turnovers per bubble screen attempt, etc.?

Damn, I liked the video, hated seeing snow in the back ground.

If I were Tannehill I would just audible out of them every time he calls them. And by audible I mean just call something different in the huddle.

I think it needs to be the other way around. Gase needs to eliminate them because if they are there Tannehill will leave them alone and throw it short.

Not merely screens, but anything short of the marker.

We got away with that a couple of times last week for first downs but normally it is more difficult against division opponents. They have studied your tendencies and personnel more closely during the offseason so the last thing they want to allow is a cheap underneath throw to ramble for a key first down.

Screens are okay on second down. That is the long established tendency. If a first down run or pass fails I don't mind an underneath play to reach 3rd and manageable.

But Gase has obviously never studied leaguewide trends, since he calls so many screens on 3rd down. I'm not sure they would matter to him anyway since he's an arrogant type who believes in his own personnel.

Throw the darn ball down the field. Good things might happen. This Jamal Adams kid is like Reshad Jones in that he weakens the further removed from the line of scrimmage.

Surely we can put the debate on bubble screens to rest with some DATA.

What does the data say when it comes to YPbsA, turnovers per bubble screen attempt, etc.?

In 2016 the Dolphins' pass offense was significantly worse (statistically) when throwing screen passes vs throwing any other pass.

I don't have data for 2017, because NFL1000 didn't do it for me, and I sure as **** am not going to go back and manually chart 14 games of Jay Cutler.

In 2018, the Dolphins have thrown screen passes twice. One picked up 11 yards on 3rd and 21, which, whatever, the team was up and wanted to kick a field goal to extend to a two score lead. The other screen came on a 3rd and 8 and picked up a cool three yards.

It's probably my least favorite play in football.

Hell, I can’t remember a time when Marino threw short of the marker on 3rd or a bubble screen. Everytime it was 3rd and long, Marino would be in the shotgun and everyone knew what was coming. They jist couldn’t defend a perfect pass.

I'm happy they didn't throw any in game 1

I want to see Tannehill in a downfield offense. This quick passing game can work, but you have to be very good at consistently to score points and it seems to get harder to be good at it on a compressed field in the red zone.

I think it needs to be the other way around. Gase needs to eliminate them because if they are there Tannehill will leave them alone and throw it short.

Not merely screens, but anything short of the marker.

We got away with that a couple of times last week for first downs but normally it is more difficult against division opponents. They have studied your tendencies and personnel more closely during the offseason so the last thing they want to allow is a cheap underneath throw to ramble for a key first down.

Screens are okay on second down. That is the long established tendency. If a first down run or pass fails I don't mind an underneath play to reach 3rd and manageable.

But Gase has obviously never studied leaguewide trends, since he calls so many screens on 3rd down. I'm not sure they would matter to him anyway since he's an arrogant type who believes in his own personnel.

Throw the darn ball down the field. Good things might happen. This Jamal Adams kid is like Reshad Jones in that he weakens the further removed from the line of scrimmage.

Sean McVay called a screen on first down and it got nothing. Came back with the exact same play call on second down and got a big gain. I'm not one to judge play calls in a vacuum but that is definitely an example of some brilliant, outside the box thinking.

As with any play, the success depends on the timing of the play and what the defensive alignment is.
It works when the defense is playing off and the blocking is well executed.

Back
Top Bottom