Marino makes the All-Time Team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino makes the All-Time Team

Good list, it was obvious he was going to
make it, or to me it was at least. You cant leave the greatest pure passer ever off that list.

Brees has amazing stats but theres no one id take off that list and replace him with. Hes more of a product of playing in a passing era and playing till hes 40.

Happy he made the list. I was sweating it a bit as he was the last one named. A lot of good QBs were left off: Brees, Rodgers, Starr, Bradshaw, for starters.
I glad they gave Marino respect without SB ring. If he had Ring he would of been higher..

The fact is, rings matter. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do.

In the specific case of Brady v Manning, they are very close in terms of the regular season, but when the playoffs rolled around, Brady shined under the bright lights, when the pressure was on, while Peyton usually disappeared.
Brady was cheating. Non example for me. Yes we agree that some people count rings, fairly won or cheated, even though they shouldn't in either case. Everyone realizes it but it's still wrong, unless of course you have a guy who was usually surrounded with a championship caliber team and always choked.

Also, in this case, to exclude Brady would mean they would have to explain why and nobody wants to go there. In fact, no NFL employee is allowed to go there and no media person wants to go there.

Brady was cheating. Non example for me. Yes we agree that some people count rings, fairly won or cheated, even though they shouldn't in either case. Everyone realizes it but it's still wrong, unless of course you have a guy who was usually surrounded with a championship caliber team and always choked.

Also, in this case, to exclude Brady would mean they would have to explain why and nobody wants to go there. In fact, no NFL employee is allowed to go there and no media person wants to go there.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and surmise you despise Brady, Belichick and the Pats in general. :shrug: Cheatin bastards!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and surmise you despise Brady, Belichick and the Pats in general. :shrug: Cheatin bastards!
You're very perceptive. :funny: I have a problem with cheating and dishonesty in general, but yes, this is the reason I am a lot less interested in the NFL than I used to be.

How many of those guys could actually stand toe to toe with Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, Von Miller..How many of those corners could stand up to Julio Jones, Mike Thomas.

They played other limited athletes. Again im not talking about 80s and 90s. Just 40s through 70s
I think there are a lot of 70s offensive lines who would hold their own against the defenders you mentioned, one of them, the Fins.
And those WRs.......they would be mugged like everyone else, with no flags thrown.
Lots of hissy fits by WRs! Hehe

I might've been disrespectful to the past greats but when I watch some of them play it's very basic football and very rudimentary athletics.

I think there are a lot of 70s offensive lines who would hold their own against the defenders you mentioned, one of them, the Fins.
And those WRs.......they would be mugged like everyone else, with no flags thrown.
Lots of hissy fits by WRs! Hehe
I don't know how old @Phinatic8u is, but I would venture a guess that he isn't old enough to have seen the monumental affects of rule changes through the years/eras of the game.

It's true that, as a rule, the players are more athletic today, but that is a product of better training, diet, medical techniques, etc. Todays players are also paid so much better, that they can afford personal trainers, chefs, physical therapist, etc. If players from the past had those advantages, they most certainly would have been better athletically as well.

Your point about WRs can't be overstated, IMO. It took a special player to go across the middle, knowing a DB was just waiting to lay him out every time, not to mention the fact that they, litterally, had to fight their way downfield.

Last edited:
I might've been disrespectful to the past greats but when I watch some of them play it's very basic football and very rudimentary athletics.
It was the necessity, as the rules were so much different. They had to protect themselves on every play.

I realize it may be hard to appreciate how it was such a different mindset, if you haven't seen the evolution first hand.

I think if he had won a super bowl there would be more talk of Marino being the best ever. Very unfortunate with some of those teams he had to carry on his shoulders. His best chances really came in his first couple of years when Miami still had a formidable defense.

That article doesn't offer reasons, it offers excuses.

Career...
Completions - #1
Completion % - #1
Yards - #1
TD passes - #1
QB rating - #3

Single season...
Completions - 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 (top 3 single season and 6 of the top 10 single seasons)
Completion % - 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 (5 of the top 8 single seasons)
Yards - 2, 4, 5, 6, 10 (5 of the top 10 single seasons...Manning #1 with 5,477 and Brees #2 with 5,476)
TD passes - 6, 9, 14, 24 (tied with P. Manning for most single seasons in top 25 with 4)
QB rating - 7, 8, 21, 25 (most single seasons in top 25 with 4)

And he has a SB ring.
The article does talk about current players having a hard time making it. While Brees has accumulated impressive stats (in an era where it is very easy to throw the ball), he’s never passed the eye test for me. I don’t know what it is but it’s not as if he is a anything special athletically or has a great release or the strongest arm or... fairly or unfairly I think he’s going to come up short or lower ranked than the stats would suggest on a lot of these lists. Personally I don’t consider him in the same league as these other QBs - in spite of the stats. He’s a great QB but it’s not as if he stood out for anything in even the modern era the way Brady or Rodgers or Mahomes (long way to go) did / do. A bit like Warren Moon or Fouts in that regard.

Just watched it. How the NFL can showcase Tom Brady (deflatigate) and Belichack (spygate) on this program is incredible! This speaks more to the credibility of the NFL than anything. What's joke!

Back
Top Bottom