Mark Duffner to be new LB coach | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark Duffner to be new LB coach

I know the initial reaction is "oh no, he's from the Jaguars."

He has a good track record as a coach. Could be a pretty good hire.

Its a good hire.
The guy has been in the league for a while.

I think this may signal a plan to try and coach up our linebackers.

Hopefully he can help us sign Daryl Smith longtime Jaguar LB in free agency. We need a new starting MLB and WLB. He can play both but is better suited as a WLB. Huge upgrade from Wheeler.

another friend of philbins, they've worked out so well for us.

<sarcasm>So true. It's not like MOST coaches at all levels of football do not hire ppl they know personally.</sarcasm>

UGH!

One of the most amazing coaching transformations of all time. I mentioned it a couple of years ago when Duffner's name surfaced.

Imagine Mike Leach leaving college football and becoming an NFL defensive coach for more than a decade. That's not far from Duffner's route. Twenty years ago Duffner was the king of college football finesse offense. He brought his run and shoot from Holy Cross to Maryland and was relentlessly touted. Lots of guys thought he would revolutionize the sport, that Maryland had made the greatest hire in memory.

I was on Las Vegas radio at the time and got into heated debate on KDWN all the time for several years with one of Duffner's greatest backers, another local handicapper. My friends would tell me there was steam coming out of both of our ears on the panel at the Stardust, that's how passionate we were from different sides of the debate. Then as now, I don't believe in any offense that relies on low rushing totals, the ignorant approach that short passes are somehow a substitute for running plays. It's a house of cards, doomed to fail, unlike the Malzahn route with 50+ runs per game.

Duffner had a few nice wins early in his Maryland career but then everything predictably collapsed. I bet against him all the time and it was sickening when he was gone. The handicappers and college football analysts who had touted him tried to pretend he never existed. I had to bring up the Mark Duffner name as a reminder of the ignorant offensive approach.

It wasn't until years later that I found out Duffner had quietly moved to the NFL as defensive coach. It sounded like a parody.

Anyway, his wife has a great butt, squeeze worthy. Nice waggles also.

I am so sick of every ****ing Dolphins fan making a comment about a new hire. You guys think just because he came from a bad team he sucks, I mean do some research you lazy bums. What do you expect, do you think we're going to hire all defense of personal from the Seahawks and all offense from the Broncos. Good resume, a seasoned veteran and coached solid LB cores for both the Bengals and the Jaguars. Hell last year there are articles stating thank god the Jags kept one of their few good assistant coaches. The doom and gloom needs to go. Philbin btw was a packer, that hasn't exactly worked out

People that make comments like he did don't do research. It isn't like a LB coach from any of the NFL teams is a guy all of us know. So since he doesn't know who the hell Mark Duffner is, he assumes he's a bum b/c he was with Jacksonville and that since he's had experience with Philbin before, that it won't work out b/c it didn't with Sherman.

There's completely way too much overreacting on this site.

I take it this guy is good - experienced nonetheless, but I don't want to Google him. However, us fans do get kind of concerned when we keep showing the tendency to hire coaches with either no experience, or from losing organizations.

Would you hire a guy to be the top chef at your restaurant, if the food sucked at the last place he was the head chef at?

Awful comparson. Mark Duffner isn't responsible for the entire Jacksonville Jaguars team. Paul Posluszny was 2nd in the league it tackles and actually led the Jags in INTs with 2. Their offense was on par with Miami's last year (outside of Reggie Bush) as being complete ****.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley

Bradley said it was "a unique" situation for Duffner. Has been friends with some of Miami's staff for two decades

Its a good hire.
The guy has been in the league for a while.

I think this may signal a plan to try and coach up our linebackers.

I don't think Philbin is a clueless as some make him out to be.

Jacksonvile Jaguar, Paul Posluszny (spelling?) was one of the most prolific tacklers in the NFL last season. Let's hope that Duffner brings him with him because Wheeler needs to improve significantly or get cut. After watching the Seattle and San Francisco Defenses last night, their superiority in Linebacking personnel is self evident. It may be good drafting and good coaching, but both appear to be a mile ahead of us (cough Wheeler, cough).
The Duffner appointment shows that Joe's immediate reaction to Edwards' departure was to go to someone he knew. The linebackers appeared to be one of our biggest defensive problems, Duffner needs to make a difference. It will be interesting to see if Jelani Jenkins has the potential to make it.

I can't tell you how Wheeler was in college but I went to PSU and Puz was amazing at Line Backer U. I don't know how much we can attribute coaching in the NFL to Puz being good. How were the other LBs?

Back
Top Bottom