Mark Duffner to be new LB coach | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark Duffner to be new LB coach

I know people are killing Joe that this is another personal connection hire, but Duffner is experienced and might not help.

Zachary Thomas has a very wealthy family and in my estimation a pretty good some from his play. I have never heard he wants to coach so why the h would we get him. Long hours, low pay, it's not like he's LB coach in the SEC.

Not really an impressive resume.

Whats wrong with his resume. His resume is better than many coaches we have on our roster

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

I actually think its a good hire too bad he has last years free agent crap to work with

Its a good hire.
The guy has been in the league for a while.

I think this may signal a plan to try and coach up our linebackers.

This makes the most sense. Duffner was the linebacker/defensive coordinator with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2001 when Coyle was hired to be the secondary coach. Duffner should be able to explain the responsibilities of the linebackers within the scheme better than the last linebacker coach could.

Some quotes on the Duffner hiring.

“I want to welcome Mark and Kathy to the Miami Dolphins family,” said Philbin. “Mark brings an impressive coaching resume and a wealth of football knowledge to the organization that will not only benefit our defensive players, but the team as a whole.”

“I want to thank Coach Philbin and the Miami Dolphins for this opportunity,” explained Duffner. “The opportunity to join a franchise like the Miami Dolphins and work with Coach Philbin was one that I could not pass up. I would like to thank all the fans, the players, the coaches, the staff, Mr. Weaver and Mr. Khan for the wonderful experience that my family and I had while we were with the Jaguars. Our time spent in Jacksonville provided us with countless special memories that will last a life time.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...rs-Coach/28776be2-464e-49e3-874a-6e2a3e0801fc

Prior to joining the Jaguars, Duffner held the same position with the Green Bay Packers for three seasons (2003-05). During his time with the Packers, Duffner was instrumental in the development of 2003 first-round draft pick Nick Barnett, who set a franchise record with 194 tackles and became the first Packer to lead the team in tackles for three consecutive seasons (2003-05). Also while in Green Bay, the Packers defense concluded the 2005 season as the NFL’s top ranked defense against the pass, and as the seventh ranked defense overall in the NFL.

Duffner entered the NFL coaching ranks with the Cincinnati Bengals, where he spent six seasons as linebackers coach (1997-2000) and defensive coordinator (2001-02). In his first year as coordinator in 2001, the Bengals defense allowed the unit’s fewest points (309) since 1989 and fewest yards per game (302) since 1983. In addition, the defense set a franchise single-season record for sacks that year with 48, a mark that stood for 11 seasons.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley

Duffner says his familiarity with Ellerbe and Wheeler stretches back to when they came out of college. "They're talented players."

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP

Duffner on Ellerbe/Wheeler: "They're talented players, it'll be my job to really find ways to allow that talent to get better and better."

Nice. How could you not be on board with this guy?

Jesse Agler ‏@finsjesse

New LBs coach Mark Duffner tells us he has used tape of Zach Thomas over the years to show guys the way to play the position.

some of the quotes to me seem like he was unimpressed with the coaching of George Edwards with our LBs.

He's experienced. I'm not expecting any miracles from him, but I expect him to perform competently. I think it's entirely valid for a coach to hire extraordinary people he's encountered during his career, it's far less valid if he just chooses someone because they're friends. I hope Philbin is drawing that distinction.

Our LB play last year was horrible. You can't teach instincts, however Wheeler's technique was equally bad which the LB coach can help with.

Our LB play last year was horrible. You can't teach instincts, however Wheeler's technique was equally bad which the LB coach can help with.
Wheeler reeeeally shouldn't be on this team next year.

Back
Top Bottom