Marlins might be moving out of Pro Player... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marlins might be moving out of Pro Player...

Miami should not get a dome. PPS is great for the Fins. The heat is a great advantage for us. Maybe a new name for the stadiuum which alot of the people on this site think there should be. But me, myself, I like Pro Player Stadium.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Miami should not get a dome. PPS is great for the Fins. The heat is a great advantage for us. Maybe a new name for the stadiuum which alot of the people on this site think there should be. But me, myself, I like Pro Player Stadium.

You have to have some kind of stadium in Florida for baseball that will protect the fans from the weather, the almost daily rain.

Attendance drops significantly when there is bad weather in baseball. The concept of building a stadium that will protect the fans from the weather is that more fans will come to games over the long run. This lines the owners pocket with more $ of course.

This is something that should of happened in Miami back in '95. Anything that gets that God awful baseball diamond off our football field is a GREAT thing.

Oliver...

This has got me thinking...you know what team needs a dome?

Buffalo! This way we won't have to play them in a blizzard again.

Man, I am dreaming right now. Big time.

To answer the question of why the Marlins would be moving and the Dolphins would not be, would be the fact that PPS is not located in the center of a densely populated area. Baseball attendances have been dwindling for years and the Owners of the Marlins and MLB officials believe that more people would come out for ball games if the games were played in Downtown Miami. Where as in football, the popularity of the sport is so immense that it really doesn't matter for attendence if the stadium is centrally located or not. On QAM, I don't remember who said it, but someone said that not having a baseball stadium in Miami is killing the franchise in every aspect and as soon as they get the new stadium, that this franchise could compete year in and year out. Also the guy said that if the Marlins would indeed get a new stadium, that would open the doors for new renovations to PPS that would give them more of an advantage (ie new set of closer seats, easier groundskeeping etc). Here's to a new stadium that would benefit the Dolphins and the Marlins.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Wait a minute.. Marlins to get a dome?? What have they done to desrve it?? If anything, the Dolphins should get the dome stadium.. Am I the only one seeing it this way?

Why would you want the Fins in a Dome???

Domes suck.

A retractable roof for the Marlins would be nice but a immovable dome roof would be rediculous in S. Florida. Defeats the purpose of being in S. Florida.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Why build a dome? At least make it a retractible roof but that will prolly cost too much.

Actually Herald made a mistake in the tittle and if you read whole article is really retractible roof.

I think last year they were showing a model of what a new stadium for the marlins would look like.. they said it was right next to AAArenas , and the stadium would let homerun balls go into the river by bayside..this was around when they signed PUdGE... What happened to that? that would be sweet if we had a stadium like the Giants(baseball)....

Originally posted by dolfans1988
I think last year they were showing a model of what a new stadium for the marlins would look like.. they said it was right next to AAArenas , and the stadium would let homerun balls go into the river by bayside..this was around when they signed PUdGE... What happened to that? that would be sweet if we had a stadium like the Giants(baseball)....

Yes it would. It would be a fantastic way to showcase what really is a beautiful city. Beautiful regardless of the many problems it has of course. One of the things I loved about the Orange Bowl ( in addition to the unreal noise level it produced) was the open end zone and how it had the City of Miami skyline in the background. Although I'm sure there will be some tax increases to overcome, having a stadium right downtown could only help the recovering economy of the area longterm.

Originally posted by poppy
The Dolphins in a Dome????? UUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only thing I care about and would pray for if the Marlins moved is that Wayne would renovate Pro Player and make it into a Football Stadium rather than the Multi purpose piece of crap it is.

I've been whaling on this for years. We lost a significant piece of our Home field advantage when we moved out of the Orange Bowl in 1987. The stands at the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie are too far from the field to create the electricity and buzz that the Orange Bowl created. I really think the Orange Bowl was a 2 win handicap for us compared to P.P.S.

A dome stadium would come to Miami if the rest of the league made them! The Sept. heat is what its about!

As for redoing Joe Robbie Stadium. Well, the owner already stated he looked into it and the cost would be something he is not willing to do....

I think he said around 35 million to revonvate...

I hear the people who say get rid of the crappy diamond, it looks plain awful. On the other hand, putting the fins on artificial turf is BY FAR THE WORST IDEA. I would be furious if we lost key players to turf injuries. Turf-toe affects players through-out their career, we have enough problems with injuries already. I say keep the fins in Pro Player and move the Marlins out. Look at Ricky (which i dont know if its attributable to grass) before grass, Pffft! On grass, league's leading rusher! LOL Who would risk that?

The only way I would EVER concieve this idea is if the dome field had a surface like Fieldturf or NexTurf. NOT ASTROTURF. Something like they have in Reliant or Ford Field, player friendly. I still don't like the dome idea very much though.

Originally posted by Rrodr038
To answer the question of why the Marlins would be moving and the Dolphins would not be, would be the fact that PPS is not located in the center of a densely populated area. Baseball attendances have been dwindling for years and the Owners of the Marlins and MLB officials believe that more people would come out for ball games if the games were played in Downtown Miami. Where as in football, the popularity of the sport is so immense that it really doesn't matter for attendence if the stadium is centrally located or not. On QAM, I don't remember who said it, but someone said that not having a baseball stadium in Miami is killing the franchise in every aspect and as soon as they get the new stadium, that this franchise could compete year in and year out. Also the guy said that if the Marlins would indeed get a new stadium, that would open the doors for new renovations to PPS that would give them more of an advantage (ie new set of closer seats, easier groundskeeping etc). Here's to a new stadium that would benefit the Dolphins and the Marlins.

WOW.. I'm glad someone saw the big picture when I posted last time.. Huge misunderstanding and it was my fault.. I should of explained myslef alot better but my point was not about Miami getting "a" dome stadium.. It was about the Marlins moving out and Miami staying in the same stadium.. If anything, Miami deserves to be the one moving out to a better stadium.. That was my point.. Rrodr038, props to you for understanding my post, you answered my question beautifully.. When I said "Why doesn't Miami get THE DOME STADIUM", the Dome Stadium meant the Dolphins moving out instead of staying but I got way ahead of myself there.. BOY was I surprised when all these "No Dome Stadium!!", "Takes Away Heat Factor" posts came about.. Should of spelled out my point of my post alot better.. Sorry kids..

Back
Top Bottom