Matt Canada offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Canada offense

I like the principle but like everything else you're hopeless without the tools to implement it. I always though the primary objective of these drastic shifts was to allow for the QB to get a good read on what the defense is doing. That's all well and good if you have the QB that's capable of making the read and making the right decision. Maybe the Phins have that guy.....just yet to see it in action.

I do think it amplifies the "multiples" approach that the Pats had so much success with over the years on defense and I'm sure Flores is aiming to implement in Miami. The linebacker that's equally comfortable in a three point stance or 20 yds off the line. The safety playing as a backer or corner depending on the lineup.

The problem is that you're reliant on players capable of handling the multiple roles. There's no point in motioning Gesicki to an inline stance if noone believes that hes actually going to block someone. Put Ahmed in the slot and defenders aren't going to be too concerned. Parker isn't taking handoffs in the backfield or in a jet sweep. The Phins have a few players that show some promise of versatility in Gaskin, Bowden, Perry, and maybe Shaheen. Wilson is probably the only player that has shown something real on the field with his glorious 3 game stretch under Gase before he got hurt again.

I'm all for anything that helps out Tua at this stage in his development and if you have players that can execute it the pre-snap sowing of confusion is great. I do hope if they end up going that route the new OC has quite a bit on input on what should be a massive overhaul of the skill positions on this team this off-season.

Fit here is so vital, I know nothing about any of these candidates tbh so have no preferences right away. But reading what folks on here have said about Hamilton concerns me, I hope we don't pick a OC based on being around Justin Herbert last year, we have to get a OC that fits what Tua is good at and can implement a system that puts him into a position to succeed.

What I can't tell from the videos are two parts of the OC job I find critical.
1) finding and exploiting mismatches.
2) finding and exploiting the weaknesses in the D.
TBF, no video can show that. But, Miami doesn't need Chan 2.0

That's fair. The offense is heavily based on the run, which then results in playaction. The misdirection is an attempt to get the D moving with the motion. So offenses like this may not be super exotic or creative with route trees but the idea is the bunch formations and the motion will create mismatches. That is something that the Shanahan offense does as well

I like the principle but like everything else you're hopeless without the tools to implement it. I always though the primary objective of these drastic shifts was to allow for the QB to get a good read on what the defense is doing. That's all well and good if you have the QB that's capable of making the read and making the right decision. Maybe the Phins have that guy.....just yet to see it in action.

I do think it amplifies the "multiples" approach that the Pats had so much success with over the years on defense and I'm sure Flores is aiming to implement in Miami. The linebacker that's equally comfortable in a three point stance or 20 yds off the line. The safety playing as a backer or corner depending on the lineup.

The problem is that you're reliant on players capable of handling the multiple roles. There's no point in motioning Gesicki to an inline stance if noone believes that hes actually going to block someone. Put Ahmed in the slot and defenders aren't going to be too concerned. Parker isn't taking handoffs in the backfield or in a jet sweep. The Phins have a few players that show some promise of versatility in Gaskin, Bowden, Perry, and maybe Shaheen. Wilson is probably the only player that has shown something real on the field with his glorious 3 game stretch under Gase before he got hurt again.

I'm all for anything that helps out Tua at this stage in his development and if you have players that can execute it the pre-snap sowing of confusion is great. I do hope if they end up going that route the new OC has quite a bit on input on what should be a massive overhaul of the skill positions on this team this off-season.
Good post here. Like I've said before unless you have the players that can execute the plays then it doesn't matter who the OC is or what plays he calls.

That's fair. The offense is heavily based on the run, which then results in playaction. The misdirection is an attempt to get the D moving with the motion. So offenses like this may not be super exotic or creative with route trees but the idea is the bunch formations and the motion will create mismatches. That is something that the Shanahan offense does as well

Yeah, I'm in with that and agree. Still, if the OC finds a formation that puts a LB on Wilson, run that play until the D responds. Or, my big complaint with Chan, if the D is 8-in-the-box, don't call runs between the tackles on 1D and 2D. An OC's job is only HALF play-calling/philosophy. The other half is calling plays to counter the D

I saw some of these vids on Twitter yesterday when Canada's name started trending for Miami's search. I really love the feel of his scheme, lots of moving pieces, and misdirection. One of the most frustrating things to watch this year was how little presnap motion there was for the 2020 Miami Dolphins. Also, how every other team is getting away with these ridiculous rub routes and we don't call hardly any even standard crossing routes or quick slants.

I get it that we don't have that talent on the field right now. But an addition of Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, and Najee Harris along with players like Lynn Bowden and Albert Wilson returning could dramatically change the talent Miami puts on the field next year. Not just the level of talent but the type of talent in the passing game would be night and day to what we've been watching over the last couple of seasons.

I am a huge fan of misdirection, motion, disguise, etc.

The more you make the defense think, the more likely they make a mistake.

Of course, your offensive personnel have to be able to execute..
Not only making them think, but motion should be designed to have the defense tip their hand. Gailey pretty much ran one motions, and that was the slot guys coming across the formation at the snap.

I like Canada alot. Especially when he was at Pitt. They had no business beating Clemson in 2016 which was Clemsons only loss on our way to a national title. Pitt beat us 43-42. In that game he killed us with a designed shovel pass play which he ran 5/6 on crucial downs and it burned us every time. Canada is known for lots of eye candy and pre snap movement. I think he'd be a better choice than the 2 guys in house.

I've read how Canada's offensive scheme is, not only, best suited for Tua, but also for the current players along the offensive line. It seems if Miami were to hire a 49ers asset as OC, it could mean another overall of the type of linemen Miami would need; to run the offense. Thats a lot to change. So with that in mind, I think Canada looks like a better fit.

Is Matt Canada now the front runner?

Like everyone, I love the idea of dissecting the defense with motion. But we need to realize that this ups the complexity level of our offense. We had a more complex offense in Coach Flo's first season, brought directly from New England with a coach he had experience working with and knew exactly how it would be taught and coached. The offense did OK, but not great, and the coach was fired. It did not succeed because the offensive players struggled learning the complex offense. The more they're required to learn, the harder it is to master. That is particularly difficult for young players, which is why often you hear of coaches on either side of the ball "pairing down the playbook" so their players are thinking less and can "play fast." If we commit to a more complex layer of motion on top of the regular playbook, we need to have/get players who are similarly committed to the film room, practice outside of team practice, and sharp enough to internalize this. Our OL need to be comfortable moving and our WR/TE/RB need to be 100% perfect on memorizing their movements to avoid penalties, etc. Guys who master route running tend to be good at this stuff, but guys who rely more on natural ability than hard work do not always do well in these systems.

At the end of the day, if we take on this committment, we ned to be realistic about it.

Sure, interview him even if we don't hire him. Like everyone consulted with Chip Kelly to understand his revolutionary concepts and learn how to play them and play against them. By the time Chip Kelly came to the NFL, most NFL coaches already knew how to play against it ... because Chip Kelly had told them years before when they consulted with him. So yeah, get what you can from the coach and an interview is the perfect time. If he dazzles you, hire him, but also give him the people who can operate his system well.

Like everyone, I love the idea of dissecting the defense with motion. But we need to realize that this ups the complexity level of our offense. We had a more complex offense in Coach Flo's first season, brought directly from New England with a coach he had experience working with and knew exactly how it would be taught and coached. The offense did OK, but not great, and the coach was fired. It did not succeed because the offensive players struggled learning the complex offense. The more they're required to learn, the harder it is to master. That is particularly difficult for young players, which is why often you hear of coaches on either side of the ball "pairing down the playbook" so their players are thinking less and can "play fast." If we commit to a more complex layer of motion on top of the regular playbook, we need to have/get players who are similarly committed to the film room, practice outside of team practice, and sharp enough to internalize this. Our OL need to be comfortable moving and our WR/TE/RB need to be 100% perfect on memorizing their movements to avoid penalties, etc. Guys who master route running tend to be good at this stuff, but guys who rely more on natural ability than hard work do not always do well in these systems.

At the end of the day, if we take on this committment, we ned to be realistic about it.

Sure, interview him even if we don't hire him. Like everyone consulted with Chip Kelly to understand his revolutionary concepts and learn how to play them and play against them. By the time Chip Kelly came to the NFL, most NFL coaches already knew how to play against it ... because Chip Kelly had told them years before when they consulted with him. So yeah, get what you can from the coach and an interview is the perfect time. If he dazzles you, hire him, but also give him the people who can operate his system well.

Agree with that, but a comment. Any HC/OC who want a complex O better accept year 1 won't be pretty, for the reasons you mention. Accept the player mistakes. Accept the 'slow' play until the plays become automatic. The only other option is to put in the basics of the system along with a little complexity and add complexity next season. I don't want the most complex O in the NFL, but 'no complexity' is far worse

Agree with that, but a comment. Any HC/OC who want a complex O better accept year 1 won't be pretty, for the reasons you mention. Accept the player mistakes. Accept the 'slow' play until the plays become automatic. The only other option is to put in the basics of the system along with a little complexity and add complexity next season. I don't want the most complex O in the NFL, but 'no complexity' is far worse
Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY what the Chan Gailey lynch mob failed to understand. Our guy was young and under-prepared due to covid and rehab, and we lacked weapons and linemen... yet, they expected the Chiefs offense.

I've given up on even trying to understand the logic, and am just hoping that the next guy can slowly implement a high powered offense without getting lynched.

Back
Top Bottom