Maybe the new staff thinks they can work with some of the young Offensive Lineman on the roster | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maybe the new staff thinks they can work with some of the young Offensive Lineman on the roster

Very risky indeed

I assume we will be signing 1-2 OL still, OT for sure

I dont get the freaking out right now, most of the top ones are still out there...
They are, and they are in no particular hurry to sign with anyone. Ppl have to look at it from the business aspect, rather than a kid in a candy store.

These guys that are looking at top tier contracts can wait and let teams have bidding wars for their services. It's like an auction. What do they care if they wait until the end of FA? They are getting paid either way. From their POV, time can only drive up the price.

Once one domino falls though, the rush will be on because the flip side to the above is that there are a limited number of teams in the market.

I guess my point is, top tier FAs have no incentive to sign, until they do.

No maybe about it

They probably are

And that's the ****ing problem

God forbid we let Grier try to draft another lineman

It would be very risky to not bring in a proven, solid veteran or two, regardless. You can't count on a bottom rd1, or rd2 pick to be ready day one. I still have hopes for some of our young guys, but wouldn't "count on" that either.

View attachment 100563
you're preaching to the choir

I'm hoping the new offensive line staff can develop our existing talent and turn a couple into solid starters. Having said that, people are acting as if all the OT talent in FA has been signed, when in reality the first domino hasn't even fallen.

Armstead, D. Brown, T. Brown, Moses, Williams, Reiff, etc., are all still on the market.
Very good post from a fellow Canadian. I am really hoping for an upgrade at RT and I see some on that list....Hoping we will get one.

It's only been 6 hours and no doubt guys like Collins, Armstead, etc have things to work out before they settle wherever they will end up.

The only lineman we have that would start for other teams is Robert Hunt, that's it. everyone else are backups at best. eichenberg gets a pass because of the **** show he went through. The weakest link is the OLine, a genius cannot coach up the scrubs we have, im sorry to say.

What the Fins are doing right now is flat out by the book how you should be addressing FA... Lower tier guys at high value positions and better tier at the cheaper ones, all solid guys. I love it.

The tackle position is where this gets tricky... Signing a Tackle to a huge contract is a mistake, there's really no other way around it. Problem is, the real problem here is being in desperate mode at Tackle after picking Tackles high in the draft in consecutive years. I really dont know here, do you just try and fix your prior mistakes by making an even bigger one in FA, or you just stay the course and execute the optimal path, and keep hammering OT in the draft until you get it right...?

Either way, the player picking part has got to get better for the Fins to ever have sustained success.

I am still hoping they add a legit OL starter but perhaps McDaniel and Co think they can make something out of Jackson/Dieter/KIindley/Eichenberg.

Looking at the Draft unless they move up I don't see a quality OT making it to #29, OG maybe but not OT.
Totally New Concept - Coaching Counts!
I Love It! - LOL

It would be very risky to not bring in a proven, solid veteran or two, regardless. You can't count on a bottom rd1, or rd2 pick to be ready day one. I still have hopes for some of our young guys, but wouldn't "count on" that either.

View attachment 100563
Solid starting tackles are like gold. Teams rarely allow these players to reach free agency unless there are issues with them. Either an injury history, age, or their play has regressed.

So while not signing an offensive lineman in free agency might be risky for a team like the Dolphins who are certainly in need of solid veteran starters on the OL. Signing free agents who are coming from teams that no longer think they are worth the money they are looking for in free agency also has its own risks.

Back
Top Bottom