Maybe the new staff thinks they can work with some of the young Offensive Lineman on the roster | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maybe the new staff thinks they can work with some of the young Offensive Lineman on the roster

Not gonna lie, it was quite perplexing that Jackson and Kindly regressed, and Liam didn't look the part.
Gotta be coaching...
In 2020 we had a young, inexperienced line that battled away. I had hopes they would benefit from the game time and be much better in 2021. Unfortunately they regressed both individually and as a unit. Add in the diabolical handling of Eichenberg in his rookie year and you really have to shine the light on coaching. Most perplexing part was why they offloaded their experienced guys before the season started.

Yeah, lets ignore the o-line talent in free agency just like we did last season. How did that work out for us??!! Wash, rinse repeat.

Maybe Flores paid them to get Tua injured so he could convince Grier to trade for Watson. Kindley obviously refused to take the money and that’s why he didn’t play.

That makes as much sense as Ross offering Flores $100,000 for every game the team lost in 2019.
I have actually subscribed to some conspiracy theories like this. I always thought Flores was trying to sabotage Tua. I've suspected bad OL coaching or OL play design, putting him in during his rookie season when he wasn't really ready physically or playbook wise, benching him more than once, not playing him because he was injured only to put him in later when he wins the game, the Watson debacle. It makes too much sense. Then he tried to sabotage the whole organization with his allegations. What a joke...

According to Joe Rose this morning the staff felt the O Line was more coaching than lack of talent.

According to Marcel Louis-Jacques, he left the combine feeling that they were more concerned with the receivers than they were with the O Line.

I'll be excited if they think they can salvage our recent draft picks, but we still need to sign 2 tackles. Jackson needs a year to sit and learn, Eich is better suited to guard, and that leaves both starting tackle spots wide open. Davis CAN'T play one of those spots.

It would be very risky to not bring in a proven, solid veteran or two, regardless. You can't count on a bottom rd1, or rd2 pick to be ready day one. I still have hopes for some of our young guys, but wouldn't "count on" that either.

View attachment 100563
While I agree it is difficult to rely on young offensive linemen on day one. The fact is the young offensive linemen on the Dolphins at this time aren’t at day one anymore.
Other than Eichenberg who started several games last year. The rest of the young starting offensive linemen have been in the league at least 2 years.

Maybe none of the offensive linemen, except Hunt will ever be anymore than backup caliber players but with better coaching they might also develop into solid players.

I think most of us questioned the coaching the offensive line received under Flores and perhaps McDaniel and his coaching staff
feel they can get better play out of these players.

While I still would like to see them sign at least one veteran starter at tackle and hopefully add another quality offensive lineman in the draft. I also am willing to give this coaching staff the opportunity to work with the young offensive linemen on the team to see if they can develop them into a much better unit than they were last year.

Just LAST YEAR:

• Miami got rid of Ereck Flowers, and he returned to Washington, where he magically became an above-average guard again.
  • Miami got rid of Matt Skura, he signed with the Giants, and magically became at the very least better than all but one or two players on Miami's line.
  • Miami had what appeared to be an ascending talent in Austin Jackson at the end of 2020, and he became completely unplayable in 2021.
  • Miami drafted Liam Eichenberg, who was considered a plug-and-play starter by many...or at the very least a serviceable part of a rotation. He was a disaster.
  • Miami, for the umpteenth year in a row, could not pick up simple stunts on the line.
Any one or two of those things happening is an aberration and/or simple bad luck. But ALL of them? No.

I've said it regarding much of the talent on offense; I'm of the opinion that the coaching on the offensive side of the ball last year was SO BAD that it's virtually impossible to accurately judge anyone. I swear, if I watched them run the up the middle on 2nd and short out of a shotgun formation one more time, I was going to lose my mind.

Miami is now on their EIGHTH OL Coach in the past seven years. The assembled talent might not be the best, but the coaching was tragic.

According to Joe Rose this morning the staff felt the O Line was more coaching than lack of talent.

According to Marcel Louis-Jacques, he left the combine feeling that they were more concerned with the receivers than they were with the O Line.
Considering Devante Parker is somehow considered important to this team, I share the same concerns.

My hope was to acquire one T in FA. I have been complaining about the OL decisions since last training camp. I do believe that coaching was a a far bigger problem than talent. I'm not saying I think there are 5 all-pros there, but I do think that they could be a serviceable line. I see at least average potential in AJ, Deiter, Kindley, Hunt, and Jones, I don't see a future in Eich at T, but perhaps at G. And I have no idea what we have in Neto. I have been intrigued by his athleticism and the few snaps we've seen.

Obviously there's no guarantee that they will reach their potential. That'll come down to individual drive and coaching. Odds are that at least half won't. IMO Hunt and Deiter should be average or better in the expected system. (Hunt at RG or RT). I think Kindley could be too, if he's motivated enough. I thought it was a mistake to break-up the right side combo of Kindley and Hunt. They had good chemistry there. I still believe AJ has the talent to play LT, but last year set him back. I think he could become average LT, but would be below average this season. He could be serviceable, if protected, but I'd love a FA T upgrade there. If we had a veteran LT I'd feel comfortable with a young G like Eich next to him. I also think Jones is a guy we could be talking about "coming out of nowhere" this season.

I said it a hundred times and i will say it AGAIN.... that SOLOMON KINDLEY is a guy who is going to flourish with McD. There is no stronger brute on this team than big fish and when he locks on its over. Mcoach said he likes guys like that who can keep their guy on ice for the rb to slip through the crease. Unless there is an injury, when season starts kindley will be our starting left guard. And a pro bowl year won't suprise me. We will bring in another guard because we have ZERO quality depth at that spot so if sol goes down i don't want the jesse davis show.

McDaniel JUST came from doing just that with Trent Williams
McD didn't do that. Kyle shanahan and his gm did. McD had no veto power in the draft room in sf or final say on free agents.

I am still hoping they add a legit OL starter but perhaps McDaniel and Co think they can make something out of Jackson/Dieter/KIindley/Eichenberg.

Looking at the Draft unless they move up I don't see a quality OT making it to #29, OG maybe but not OT.

I've wondered a few times about the evaluation Mcd and staff made on current rostered OLmen. The longer this goes without signing a FA, the more likely a few from last year are projected to start in '22. The longer no FA OLman is signed (and allowed to be signed elsewhere), the more likely Mcd doesn't see the need for top OLmen.
Draft? At #29, maybe a starter. No olman at #29 is another indication no '22 starter is targeted. No OLman in R2 would seal it.
Given all that, I will be surprised if no FA olman is signed. In any case, it appears the priorities of Mcd and FH are much different.

No maybe about it

They probably are

And that's the ****ing problem

God forbid we let Grier try to draft another lineman

Grier doesn't target any position. Doesn't draft them in 'common' terms. Failures this year belong to Mcd, scouts, and staff

I said it a hundred times and i will say it AGAIN.... that SOLOMON KINDLEY is a guy who is going to flourish with McD. There is no stronger brute on this team than big fish and when he locks on its over. Mcoach said he likes guys like that who can keep their guy on ice for the rb to slip through the crease. Unless there is an injury, when season starts kindley will be our starting left guard. And a pro bowl year won't suprise me. We will bring in another guard because we have ZERO quality depth at that spot so if sol goes down i don't want the jesse davis show.
I think Kindley came into camp out of shape last season and that put him in the dog house early on.

Back
Top Bottom