McAdoo choosing Giants a black mark against Philbin? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McAdoo choosing Giants a black mark against Philbin?

testtubetimmy

Supreme Lord Emperor
Reaction score
These two worked together in Green Bay and McAdoo seemed to draw big interest from the Dolphins. Was Philbin not interested in bringing him in, or do you think McAdoo was wary of our organization and saw more stability under Coughlin?

If McAdoo did indeed choose the Giants because of the unstable situation in South Florida, this will not bode well for our OC and GM search. Just more bad publicity. Personally, I'm hoping McAdoo just liked NYC and wanted to live there.

Just because they worked together doesn't mean they are best friends and want to work together. Remember when people thought Matt Flynn supposedly spurned the Dolphins?

Look....

All you have to do is use some common sense. Philbin and McAdoo have been friends for quite a while. Do you really think...McAdoo wouldnt have already known all of what was in place with Miami's organization before he even agreed to take the interview? McAdoo would never do something that would make Philbin look bad. Yes there is a reason why he went to NY. No its not because of the supposed "unstable" situation in Miami. And for all that supposed stability with Coughlin...you think if NY misses the playoffs again next season...Coughlin will be there? Um...no.

The most likely reason is because we were not going to be offering him the job. My belief..is we already have our answer.

Possible we did him a solid like I think we did with Matt Flynn. Possible that the news of some other positions being filled broke while he was here and that changed things for us.

Possible he really did just want no part of Joe, friend or not, on a red hot seat.

Look....

All you have to do is use some common sense. Philbin and McAdoo have been friends for quite a while. Do you really think...McAdoo wouldnt have already known all of what was in place with Miami's organization before he even agreed to take the interview? McAdoo would never do something that would make Philbin look bad. Yes there is a reason why he went to NY. No its not because of the supposed "unstable" situation in Miami. And for all that supposed stability with Coughlin...you think if NY misses the playoffs again next season...Coughlin will be there? Um...no.

The most likely reason is because we were not going to be offering him the job. My belief..is we already have our answer.

Feel this way too

When you interview for the same job at two different places, and the first one calls and says- congrats- we selected you for the job. Common sense says, you're going to say yes.

as a friend, philbin would ask to interview mcadoo whether he was interested in having him as OC as not. it's what you do to help people get ahead in this world.

Look....

So is this more of a slight against McAdoo then? Philbin is in charge of his staff, the hiring and firing. Meaning the OC position is his decision. If he didn't want McAdoo, is there something wrong there (like the Matt Flynn situation?)

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

When you interview for the same job at two different places, and the first one calls and says- congrats- we selected you for the job. Common sense says, you're going to say yes.

This isn't how it works. There are agents involved, wheeling and dealing, contracts to be signed and owners flying here and there to recruit. If we wanted him, we wouldn't let him go to NY. Unless we couldn't seal the deal.

Its rumored that Philbin wants to call plays like what McCarthy does in GB, I wonder if that would factor into the decision at all?

People dont take jobs because they were offered. They take jobs because they like the situation and fell its a fit. Macadoo put us last. It feels more that Macadoo was doing Joe a solid.

No. I don't think it says anything about philbin other than he is on the hot seat. And if a better opportunity is offered then they take it (i.e. - Giants OC position). In reality, there are/were 10 better OC positions than ours (Vikings, Lions, Browns, Giants, Titans, Bucs, Redskins, Houston, Balt, and SD). All offer way more job security than the Dolphins position.

My pessimism is starting to shine through now, more than say a week ago. I am already seeing Gaine promoted to GM. A puppet position that won't threaten Aponte. Funny part is, I like Aponte. I think she is good at what she does -- negotiate contracts and manage cap. However, I haven't liked her involvement in the GM search. She is capologist, not talent evaluator. What can she add to the GM process with no experience of her own?

O'Keefe promoted to OC since no one outside the org except shanny jr wants it.

So is this more of a slight against McAdoo then? Philbin is in charge of his staff, the hiring and firing. Meaning the OC position is his decision. If he didn't want McAdoo, is there something wrong there (like the Matt Flynn situation?)

this is how the interview went:

Philbin: Hello Mcadoo, please have a seat.
Mcadoo: Hello Philbin, how are you (sits down)
Philbin: I'm doing fine, lets get this started.
Mcadoo: Ok, sounds great.
Philbin: Do you know how to call plays, because i've never done it.
Mcadoo: No sir, I've never done it either.
Philbin: OK great. Interview is over. Thanks for your time.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Its rumored that Philbin wants to call plays like what McCarthy does in GB, I wonder if that would factor into the decision at all?

I would love to see Philbin call the plays. I've wanted a coach like that for a long time.

I think that McAdoo took the interview just to build up his demand. McAdoo knows Philbin, and probably knew going in that he didn't want to work for Joe. Again, Ross screwed up by not cleaning house.

Back
Top Bottom