McMichael should he get a new deal? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McMichael should he get a new deal?

After last year's brush with the law you'd like to make sure his personal life is in order before offering a contract extension. I'd wait until the first couple of weeks of the season so you can use some of this years cap to cover the cost.

Worst is maybe our actual starter TE won't be there even this season.

Saban wants another kind of TE. Randy wants to have serious numbers in yards and TDs, but Nick needs a sacrifice TE who blocks a lot (QB protection as any OL) and may catch short yardage passes and get as much YAR as he can, as the escape valve.

DolphinsRising said:
After last year's brush with the law you'd like to make sure his personal life is in order before offering a contract extension. I'd wait until the first couple of weeks of the season so you can use some of this years cap to cover the cost.
And Randy will be ok, but Nick and Randy have very different point of view on what a TE should do.

Before he gets labelled with the dropsies maybe someone with stats access can get the actual number of "thrown to" vs "drops" and compare that around the league.

Love the avatar, DolphinsRising.

Right now, we have one very good WR and a RB who by all accounts should be a stud. However, when you throw a dynamic TE into that, you suddenly have an offense that is hard to cover. You have to spy Brown with a S/LB because he can catch so well out of the backfield, so do you cover McMike with a slower LB or a smaller S/CB? Without him, we can't stretch the field, we can't do much of anything. Not to mention he wa probably our best o-lineman least year.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I know there are other McMichael threads, so before somebody gives the old merge hear me out. I think Randy is a good tight end to which I will give my reasoning. He can make catches, and at times he does drop passes. He needs to work on his blocking. If he was a leader, he wouldn't complain publicly about not getting the ball, that's for the locker room. If he was a team leader on offense, he would be a mentor to Lee, and other young tight ends, by that I mean give them an example to shoot for. As for his smack talk on I want the ball, that again is taken care in the locker room with the coaches and the quarterback. I think McMichael can be a great tight end, but he has to give the whole package.

I could be in the minority here, but I say Saban enplains what he expects from him, and see how he does this year. If he steps up his his game on the field, and let's that do the talking for him, becomes a mentor, and helps this offense step it up as a team, then I say sign up for a long term deal.

Does Linehan uses a TE in his offense the way we use mcmike last year?

i think we should sign this guy. I mean listen why would you realse one of the top 6 TE in football. if u have one of the top players at a position in football u dont let him go

MexDolfan said:
Saban wants another kind of TE. Randy wants to have serious numbers in yards and TDs, but Nick needs a sacrifice TE who blocks a lot (QB protection as any OL) and may catch short yardage passes and get as much YAR as he can, as the escape valve.

McMike was our best blocker last season!!!

XXXSURTAINXXX said:

I think Wiggins (TE) led Minnesota in receptions last year.

MexDolfan said:
Worst is maybe our actual starter TE won't be there even this season.

Jermaine Wiggins had plenty of catches in Minnesota. You think Linehan isn't going to use Randy? :rolleyes:

I just dont think we'll spend big bucks on a tight end. McMichael is fortunate that hes coming off a big season heading into a contract year, as it gives him tons of leverage. But I would totally understand why the negotiations may reach an impasse.

I love RM but I am prepared to see him walk.

XXXSURTAINXXX said:
Good question. I like that! Will McMichael play to his potential with a new coach, new offensive coordinator, and looking at a new contract? My hope is that he does. Do you think there will be too much pressure on him?

DolphinsRising said:

You can use this year's cap to cover the cost now. As far as Randy's personal life goes, there is no indication he has failed to do what you suggest.

Back
Top Bottom