Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins

glh205

Starter
Reaction score
in his espn column today he said that Philip Rivers was one of top 5 players to hurt their draft stock this week. His unorthodox delivery and muscling of deep throws has put him behind Losman and Schaub.

He also said Michael Jenkins was one of top 5 players to help themselves and that he is now a 1st rd prospect.

That makes sense to me. Everyone raves about how Rivers was giving the best performances (although the sources I read say Schaub did better than Rivers) but he didn't answer any of the question marks about him. Nearly ALL sources still say that his deep ball was shaky, and inaccurate. He also came out there with the same release point he's always shown and showed little ability to change it. You can argue all you want about whether that release works in the NFL or not but the fact remains that few coaches LIKE that release, and a whole lot of them dislike it. They also don't want to see a QB who is not able to throw it deep. Scouts like to go to the Senior Bowl and see a guy improving on his negatives, but with Rivers he just showed them everything he's showed during the season at NC State. So his stock I don't think really DROPPED, I just think he was possibly slated to solidify himself as a first round QB prospect, and he failed to do so.

If he gets taken in the first round its because a team like Green Bay doesn't think he'll last all the way to the bottom of the second round.

the more I hear about Losman nad Rivers, the more I feel that this is notthe year for Miami to take a Qb in round 1, unless somehow they can get Manning or Rothlisberger. There are just too many question marks with either of these guys. They both would be great Rd 2 picks, but of course Miami has no Rd 2 pick this yr

Jenkins always was a first round prospect, there isn't one reason he shouldn't be selected in the first.

my sentiments exactly....go for a good WR in the 1st that would have an immediate impact on us. Maybe trade a future 2 pick and this years #3 for a #2 pick this year and if the QBs are let then....take one.

Originally posted by chambers84
I still thin Dan/Spiel will pull the trigger to get Eli.

I'd MUCH rather Have Big Ben. IMHO

Originally posted by chambers84
I still thin Dan/Spiel will pull the trigger to get Eli.

IMPOSSIBLE!

Even IF we could move up to no.1, we couldn't pay him the money anyway. we have a better chance at getting archie manning out retirement. Far be it from me to tell you what to think, but don't think that. :cool:

I sort of feel that Losman might be worth a flyer in the first round because he embodies the chance you're taking in drafting a QB.

You know the guy has all the tools and can play. He can be a double threat running and passing. All the coaches I've seen interviewed talking about facing Losman they always talk about how he is the guy that immediately catches your eye on Tulane and how you have to be careful because he can beat you running or passing. Even the scouting reports that I've read about him that HATE Losman, they talk about how he's an all-world athlete with superb tools and good size and great ability...not to mention a very smart guy who is known as a scholar in his school for how smart he is.

The problem is he's about as arrogant as they come. Supreme confidence in his abilities, which is all well and good until the chips are down and this turns into placing blame for losses squarely on his teammates and not himself. Then again if you talk to him, everything he says to the press is that he did not play well enough...he NEVER plays well enough, he's like Mark Dixon in that way. But this in itself is supreme arrogance...because even if he tosses 400 yards on 25 attempts for 5 TDs and 0 INTs, he'll say he didn't play as good as he could have. In other words in his own mind he's like a god among men playing quarterback, which means he likely hasn't learned his own limitations...which I feel is important in the NFL because EVERY athlete ends up having to learn to play within themselves a bit...even a Randy Moss.

He also has a tendancy to divide a locker room between people who love him and people who hate him. He'll say that you can hate me all you want but he's going to challenge you to be the best you can possibly be...but when the chips are down he's not likely to uplift a fellow teammate and give them the confidence to play better, he's more likely to yell at them for sucking or making snide comments to the press that he's not getting much help from his teammates.

He could grow up into a Dan Marino...or he could grow up into Leon (Jeff George).

"When the team loses this badly of course the first place I have to look is squarely at myself."

"The best players do..."

"Yeah and since we know THAT can't be it, I have to blame the media, fans, executives, teammates..."

Thats like Losman.

I remember a story about Marino having an akward release and one of his coaches (in Dan's early years...maybe highschool) said to Dan...don't let anyone ever tell you to change how you throw the ball...and look how Dan turned out to be!!!

But I think what was in question for Dan was that he never brought the ball all the way back...it was a halfway motion and bam the ball came out!!!

Go Fins!!!

Originally posted by Stamos

IMPOSSIBLE!

Even IF we could move up to no.1, we couldn't pay him the money anyway. we have a better chance at getting archie manning out retirement. Far be it from me to tell you what to think, but don't think that. :cool:

lol what are you talking about?

A). Miami can have around 20 million if they do some major cutting (my cap #'s and cuts/restructured deals has them at 16 mill)

B). He's a rookie.. he can't demand money.

C). i'm starting to like Losman..

Originally posted by Chisel Monkey

I'd MUCH rather Have Big Ben. IMHO

I disagree. Typically the most important aspect of a QB is the X factor. The intangible that cant be measured. That factor is far more likly to be intact with a QB from the background Eli has. Too many people get caught up in arm strength and etc. Look at the two QBs in the SB.

I disagree dreadlockera the most important aspect of a QB is and always was physical abilities. The problem is that most of the time to even get a starting gig a QB must have physical skills that are often comparable to each other and then from THERE the ones who separate themselves are the guys with the intangibles. But you almost never take a guy without the physicals and all the intangibles, and make him into a great QB. The most often used example is Montana, but if you talk to a few guys who do evaluations, they all say Montana had a very nice accurate deep ball.

Tom Brady has a good arm too and a very nice deep ball that has broken open plenty of games, especially when it seems like the game is on the line. Remember our first game against the Patriots? In OT, after two missed FGs that could have won the game sapped our spirits, Tom Brady launches like a 69 yard pass to win the game.

Jake Delhomme, aside from having a great TEAM surrounding him, also has a very nice arm as well....but the way that team is able to play he probably doesn't even need that I mean it seems like the worst his stats are the better the team does.

I'm not saying you need a rocket. But you need a nice deep ball, you need a pretty good arm, and most every starter in the NFL has that pretty good arm. Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese might have the weakest arms among starters in the NFL right now, truth be told. What I'M trying to figure out personally from the reports is whether Rivers has that arm that is pretty strong, good enough. I think what it sounds like is he can get pretty good zip on short passes but his long throws are nearly hopeless. This makes him maybe a little better then Fiedler IF he turns out to be able to read defenses as well as Fiedler.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

A). Miami can have around 20 million if they do some major cutting (my cap #'s and cuts/restructured deals has them at 16 mill)

B). He's a rookie.. he can't demand money.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Back
Top Bottom