Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins

Originally posted by Graythreat

Still high and mighty aren't you? Your nothing more than a Losman fanboy who refuses to see Rivers for who he is. Go ahead laud that, your going to have to eat those words someday.

Though the Green Wave may be one of my favorite teams, it is clearly visible that Losman is better than Rivers. I haven't seen a report yet that denies the fact. That being said I don't want Losman in the first round either, & you can't find a post on the 3 boards I post on the most that say different. Like I've been saying, I don't think that Losman & Rivers are a round or two more talented than Schaub, Pickett, or Navarre.

Originally posted by SMadison29

Though the Green Wave may be one of my favorite teams, it is clearly visible that Losman is better than Rivers. I haven't seen a report yet that denies the fact. That being said I don't want Losman in the first round either, & you can't find a post on the 3 boards I post on the most that say different. Like I've been saying, I don't think that Losman & Rivers are a round or two more talented than Schaub, Pickett, or Navarre.

Do you want to eat those words straight, or do you want Fries with them? Honestly, I'm cutting and pasting them, you ARE going to eat these some day, and it's going to be great.

And Graythreat the same applies for you if you are going to hold him to that bargain.

Originally posted by Jaj
And Graythreat the same applies for you if you are going to hold him to that bargain.

Rivers busts he wins...River booms..................

SMadison29

it is clearly visible that Losman is better than Rivers

Kiper was on Rivers' jock a lot like some of the people are here, only Kiper has seen the

light & stepped back from the dark side.

LOL, this is funny. Like I said last night, I knew I was right about Rivers. He better work

his butt off between now & the combine fixing his release & hitting the weights to get his

arm stronger.

Bad topic. Visit the main Dolphins board to see about 20 topics about him.(phillip Rivers)

---> not his words, but he was using this to dispute Rivers as a good QB More Rivers bashing

from NFL scouts.

After one pass, an NFC scout stated Rivers "from-the-ear" delivery is so bad there's no need

to send pass rushers against him, rather just have linemen extend their hands skyward to bat

away the ball. A rival scout shot back and likened Rivers throwing motion to the golf swing

of Chi-Chi Rodriguez stating, "you may not like the process, but it's the end result that

matters," referring to the signal callers high completion percentage.

Hell I'd take Rivers in 2nd round. My point all along has been that he's not a first rounder

& we better not reach to take him 20th overall.

It's not quite noodle, it's more like fettuccine He doesn't have the strongest arm. It may

be above average, adequate, & better than Fiedler's but it's definitely not one of his

strong points.

NFL scouts are saying it not me. They know better than both of us. He's already no longer a

first rounder according to the Giants & Cowboys.

The only 2 QBs that should start this year are Eli & Ben. Everyone else needs to watch at

least one year.

---> obvious shot to Rivers by not including him--- There is no olineman or QB to draft.

There are only two first round QBs(Eli & Ben) & 2 olineman(Gallery & Andrews). Losman &

Carey are both boarderline first rounders but we dont need to reach.

--> When shown Rivers stats---Stats mean NOTHING in college ball. It's all about your

talent. Marino didn't put up big #s in college & look at him. Now, David Klingler put up

huge #s in college & look at him.

---> When asked if Rivers is better than Jay?---- No, he's not. Rivers has too much to learn

to be a starter.

I'm right about Rivers.

The questions coming in were about his mechanics, foot work, & arm strength. His mechanics &

footwork are still a question, many think his arm is adequate, but the new questions that

have arrised are his accuracy beyond 10 yards, accuracy towards the sidelines, & his

floating & fluttering deep ball. It's amazing how the things I said were wrong with him to

begin with are now starting to be uttered by scouts & draft experts.

With exception to Kosar, who wasn't very good anyway, Marino, Favre, & Vick have VERY VERY

strong arms. Rivers doesn't.

So are Pickett, Navarre, & Schaub. Rivers isn't two rounds better than these guys.

This will be the funnest one to pull out of all...---Rivers, IMO, is the 7th best QB but I

know he won't be the 7th taken. He is a second round prospect & will go in the second round

unless some team like the Cowboys or us gets cold feet & doesn't want to risk him last that

far. Rivers hasn't improved his stock at the Senior Bowl because scouts are leaving with

more questions about him than when they came(same with Losman). Green Bay right now is more

intent on getting a DE or FS with their first pick.

I don't think Carey will be a first rounder because of his ankles & he just had surgery.

Okay maybe 5th, but I'd definitely take Ben, Eli, JP, & Pickett over him. Navarre looked

horrible today so I'll drop him down. It's a toss up between him & Schaub.

Exactly. We're ready to win now. A WR or olineman would help us do that. A QB in the first

round like Losman or Rivers would just be sitting the bench for at least one year & more

than likely two years.

---> first part is a quote on Rivers performanc, second is his slander--- North Carolina

State QB Phil Rivers also had another solid day; Rivers was particularly effective hitting

on the intermediate routes, but his deep passes tend to hang,

What I've been saying all along about him but the people that claim to have seen every game

of his this year say other wise. I knew there was a Fiedler arm in the pile.

This is the second source(the other is TFY) that I've read today that the Cowboys really

want Rivers but they realize he isn't a first round talent. You can have him Dallas.

"Cowboys & Giants both feel Rivers is a second rounder, again from TFY:

As to what players they like.....both feel their teams will make a pitch for

Philip Rivers. In fact, the Cowboys scout jokingly asked the Giants people

"not to steal Rivers from Dallas in round two."

If we got Rivers in the second or third round I wouldn't care as much, but if we

waste a first rounder on a talent not in the first round I will be highly P Od."

They aren't really questioning his release now. It's his accuracy down the field.

It's not a good thing when scouts go to the Senior Bowl with questions about a player &

leave there with more questions as is the case not just with Rivers but the other QBs as

well.

There's not much seperating Losman, Rivers, Schaub, Navarre, or Pickett. None are guarantees

so it would be wise of us just to take one in the third round so a) it won't cost us much$ &

b) the risk isn't so great.

---> When looking at a mock draft ---- Notice there's no Rivers

---> upon hearing that Rivers is out with Dan Marion--- :tsk:

4-We can grab Pickett or Navarre in the 3rd round & they're nearly as good as Losman &

Rivers in terms of ability. There isn't much seperating the 4.

2-There isn't going to be a QB or an olineman worth taking with the 20th pick because Eli,

Ben, Gallery, & Andrews will all be long gone.

---> On rivers throwing motion--- I'd tell him never to throw that crap in the pros. That

thing wobbles like a dead duck & has little velocity.

If you've seen them both play then you can't argue the point about the supporting cast

advantage Rivers has, especially on the offensive line. Losman has no oline, his best

lineman is his center(one of the Traina brothers). He was running for his life most of the

time just like Dave Ragone was doing last year at Louisville.

I was expecting this all-world QB(LMFAO) Philip Rivers to come out & light the world on fire

but there were two QBs that played better than him yesterday & they weren't named Eli & Ben.

It was Navarre & Schaub. Rivers is already slipping.

They say don't change it because he's been playing like that his entire life & he would need

about a year or 2 to correct the problem, but it is a problem because of batted balls. His

accuracy isn't that great from intermediate to long range. His foot work is bad. Contrary to

what I've read about his arm strength at the first Senior Bowl practice it isn't very

strong.

If anyone would take Rivers over Losman they haven't seen him play. In the NFL you need

players with talent & the ones that have the least amount of flaws. Rivers has the most

flaws of any of the top 7 QBs in the draft. The misconception of his accuracy being so great

is only limited 10 yards.

17 Philip Rivers N.C. State QB 6047 226 32.25 9.25 Not a lot of definition but solid.

Rivers is more like the 5th-7th best QB in the draft but some team, like the Raiders, will

reach for him.

There won't be a franchise QB around at pick 20, Eli & Ben will be long gone. I'm not

willing to sacrifice now for the future to wait 2 years before Losman or Rivers are ready to

play. I believe if we take a QB first being this close our team will give up. We are so

close now, get someone that can help us now.

Rivers won't be ready to start for at least two years because he's so screwed up. That would

be the biggest waste to take him first because our team is built to win now & we need

someone that can come in & play right away.

I hope your hungry buddy

:D

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

lol what are you talking about?

A). Miami can have around 20 million if they do some major cutting (my cap #'s and cuts/restructured deals has them at 16 mill)

B). He's a rookie.. he can't demand money.

C). i'm starting to like Losman..

You're joking right, I mean, you seriously cannot be making these statements with ANY kind of sincerity; it would be ludicrous!

A) Miami absolutely CANNOT have $20mil in cap space unless they cut every single defensive starter on the team and use an UFA at QB. You need to do a little more cap research prior to making an eroneous statement like that.

B) Another joke, right? You've never heard of a first round pick holding out? You've never noticed the astronomical signing bonuses and contracts that the last three QB's taken #1 overall- Vick, Carr, and Palmer- have received not to mention the HUGE contracts any top 10 draft pick garners. Rookies ABSOLUTELY can and do demand money and they usually get it!

You're a funny guy, you really have to be because I KNOW you couldn't have been serious when you wrote A & B.

Originally posted by BSQX4
C.K., as usual is correct in saying that we would be able to find the dollars to pay Eli. We would get it done if we're lucky enough to land him. It's about time we pull off something cool like getting Eli. If we have to jump through flaming hoops so be it. He would strike fear into all our opponents and that would make me VERY happy.

You mean like trading for Ricky Williams? Let's face it, this team has done something "cool" the past two years and it's amounted to nothing, it's time to start doing something that wins!

Originally posted by Jaj
Look at Brady his deep balls are accurate and good, but he is only a slightly better than Pennington arm.

He said Look at Brady's deep balls. :lol:

Sorry, it's late. :sleep:

Originally posted by glh205
in his espn column today he said that Philip Rivers was one of top 5 players to hurt their draft stock this week. His unorthodox delivery and muscling of deep throws has put him behind Losman and Schaub.

He also said Michael Jenkins was one of top 5 players to help themselves and that he is now a 1st rd prospect.

who the hell is mel kiper anyways?:lol:

Expert Mel Kiper had Brady rated 10th at his position, behind players such as Giovanni Carmazzi, Tim Lester, Marc Bulger, Doug Johnson, Todd Husak and the Steelers' Tee Martin, whom Kiper had ranked fourth. Of Brady, Kiper wrote: "Smart, experienced, big-game signal caller getting very high grades in the efficiency department. ... He's very accurate, throws a very catchable ball and also knows when to take a little off the pass." But, at the pro level, "his lack of mobility could surface as a problem."

His description of Brady kinda sounds like his description of Rivers (sans the unorthoox throwing motion). Bottom line is Rivers started all 4 years at N.C. St. Went to 4 bowls (winning 3 and being named MVP in all). Is smart, accurate, mature and comes up big in big games. And as we can see...Kiper doesn't know everything.

Re: Re: Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins

Originally posted by finfan54

who the hell is mel kiper anyways?:lol:

Well Bill Polian was wrong on the pick that he told Mel that. Mel said something like only an idiot would pass on Trent Dilfter because Jim Harbaugh is not a very good QB & take a LB in Trev Alberts. Trev lasted 3 or 4 years & is now on College Gameday, Trent has put himself together a nice career(though not what you expect from a 1st rounder) & is still playing.

Michael Jenkins is being compared to David Boston and Randy Moss in alot of the draft sites I've read... He has all the tools to be great, but he laks the will power to be the best and be consistently excellent..

Reggie Williams, Mark Clayton, Rashaun Woods and Jenkins in that order for me..

I read back on page 3 where P. Rivers needs to hit the weights; wonder how many QBs that anyone here knows, that can bench press 400 lbs.? Philip Rivers can! At least he could last summer, at that time he weighed 238 and I see that he's dropped to 226, trying to get a little quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom