Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins

his numbers may be off, but if by some crazy chance they found a way to land Eli (i personally hope they dont), we would be able to pay him.

Yeah we would be able to pay Eli. The #1 pick gets a good contract, but its mostly signing bonus that makes it intimidating. But signing bonus is just a teams way of saying we're committed to you for a long time. If we got Eli Manning, I have no problem with committing to him for a long time. The chances are that he'll be a quarterback we will be very happy with.

I think we as a team are already so good that unlike teams that draft a top QB prospect and SUCK, we can give Eli all the help he needs to become one of the league elites.

Graythreat, where ya at with all your Rivers love? Starting to whane a little bit?

You gripe and call names about me saying these EXACT same things.

I have never liked Rivers as a pro QB and if we select him I'll root and hope for him to prove me wrong.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
That makes sense to me. Everyone raves about how Rivers was giving the best performances (although the sources I read say Schaub did better than Rivers) but he didn't answer any of the question marks about him. Nearly ALL sources still say that his deep ball was shaky, and inaccurate. He also came out there with the same release point he's always shown and showed little ability to change it. You can argue all you want about whether that release works in the NFL or not but the fact remains that few coaches LIKE that release, and a whole lot of them dislike it. They also don't want to see a QB who is not able to throw it deep. Scouts like to go to the Senior Bowl and see a guy improving on his negatives, but with Rivers he just showed them everything he's showed during the season at NC State. So his stock I don't think really DROPPED, I just think he was possibly slated to solidify himself as a first round QB prospect, and he failed to do so.

If he gets taken in the first round its because a team like Green Bay doesn't think he'll last all the way to the bottom of the second round.

From what I'm starting to gather from all the reports, I think it is very likely we could get one of the QB's we like in round two. I'm not positive which one will slide that far, but it seems based on how many there are and where we pick, plus all the needs of teams, that we would at the very least be in a trade up position to grab one of the guys we like, if not get him at our regular selection in RD 2. I could see Rivers for example falling that far. If a Quality OL or WR is sitting at pick 20, I wont be surprised to see us go that route.

I too will root for Rivers and I don't think I'm convinced he CANT be a decent pro or even an excellent pro. I think he's got the leadership and intangibles to be like another Montana but Montana could push the ball downfield to prevent the corners from sitting on the short routes. Can Rivers? So far it doesn't look good but hey, the NFL is all about learning. One thing is for sure he's got GREAT size...would probably have some great pocket poise. Marino without the arm, or maybe rather Pennington without the arm.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I disagree dreadlockera the most important aspect of a QB is and always was physical abilities. The problem is that most of the time to even get a starting gig a QB must have physical skills that are often comparable to each other and then from THERE the ones who separate themselves are the guys with the intangibles. But you almost never take a guy without the physicals and all the intangibles, and make him into a great QB. The most often used example is Montana, but if you talk to a few guys who do evaluations, they all say Montana had a very nice accurate deep ball.

Tom Brady has a good arm too and a very nice deep ball that has broken open plenty of games, especially when it seems like the game is on the line. Remember our first game against the Patriots? In OT, after two missed FGs that could have won the game sapped our spirits, Tom Brady launches like a 69 yard pass to win the game.

Jake Delhomme, aside from having a great TEAM surrounding him, also has a very nice arm as well....but the way that team is able to play he probably doesn't even need that I mean it seems like the worst his stats are the better the team does.

I'm not saying you need a rocket. But you need a nice deep ball, you need a pretty good arm, and most every starter in the NFL has that pretty good arm. Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese might have the weakest arms among starters in the NFL right now, truth be told. What I'M trying to figure out personally from the reports is whether Rivers has that arm that is pretty strong, good enough. I think what it sounds like is he can get pretty good zip on short passes but his long throws are nearly hopeless. This makes him maybe a little better then Fiedler IF he turns out to be able to read defenses as well as Fiedler.

Well I assume everyone who MAY become and NFL QB has skills, they vary some of course but all have major skill. Those (from that lot) that seperate themselves over the long run have that X Factor. This is the reason Montana is drafted in the 3rd RD and Brady in the 5th. :rolleyes:

IMO the most important skill for a QB is decision making. There are very few who make bad decisions in college then figure it out before the 8-10 year mark. As far as arm strength goes (about 3rd on my list of importance) everybody who says Rivers has a poor deep throw usually also says that his arm strength is adequate for the NFL. I've seen him be accurate at about 50 yards, that's enough for me. Also, I've read some reports from the Senior Bowl talking about wrs that will say they beat dbs for long passes thrown from Rivers.

Everything I'm hearing about Rivers in the senior bowl says that if he's throwing deep, its more of an adventure, or his deep arm was shaky at best.

C.K., as usual is correct in saying that we would be able to find the dollars to pay Eli. We would get it done if we're lucky enough to land him. It's about time we pull off something cool like getting Eli. If we have to jump through flaming hoops so be it. He would strike fear into all our opponents and that would make me VERY happy.

Rivers averaged 9.2 yards per pass attempt this season, and for his career, 7.8 yards per pass attempt. I'm sorry, but you don't get that kind of production by throwing dink and dunk passes all the time.

I live about 45 minutes from Oxford, MS. I've seen Eli Manning probably more than any of you with the exception of Aqua. There is not much difference between Philip Rivers's arm and Eli Manning's arm. In fact, up until this season, people were questioning Manning's ability to throw down the field.

Well, I can see there are more questions than answers with all the QB's out there that we can get. I'm starting to like Picket. I'd take him in the 2nd round but since we don't have one, I have us moving down and taking him late in round one after we take Clayton with the pick we'd get for Ogun if he leaves.

Ozzy rules!!
up the irons!!

"B). He's a rookie.. he can't demand money."

really? why not? wait til the end of july, or beginning of august, turn on your tv to NFL Tonite on espn. they will spend half their show nightly talking about the rookies who are holding out and demanding bigger contracts and reiterating that this hurts them tremendously developmentally and in the eyes of their coaches and (sometimes) team mates. im not saying Eli would do so ( i would actually be surpised if he did) but it happens every year with rookies, first rounders especially. they are the ones who have leverage. 5th rounders wont hold out because they are just grateful to be on a team (any team). 1st round picks who go in a single digit round expect to get paid well. this applies even more so to skill position players. but to me it is a non issue... Eli wont be in Miami, much as i would like to see him there. the Dolphins wont trade up that far to get him.

they will if they can, Marino knows we need a good QB and will at least make an offer to SD. Whether they take it or not, i have no idea, but you just know DanSpiel is gonna make a run for him.

Back
Top Bottom