Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper on Rivers and Jenkins

Originally posted by FinFan4Life814
they will if they can, Marino knows we need a good QB and will at least make an offer to SD. Whether they take it or not, i have no idea, but you just know DanSpiel is gonna make a run for him.

Marino ALSO knows how important the Oline is (ala Isotoners commercials). That's another great benefit of having him this year...another voice that can keep Wanny from getting his way in the draft. Danny's going to Mobile this week was a very pleasant surprise...shows he's not sitting back and just trying to learn how to interpret spreadsheets and powerpoint slideshows.

LOL, this is funny. Like I said last night, I knew I was right about Rivers. He better work his butt off between now & the combine fixing his release & hitting the weights to get his arm stronger.

he won't change his release, as for getting his arm stronger... who completes fifty yard passes consistantly in the NFL? no yards after catch, just straight fifty yard passes. It doesnt happen, he's good ten yards down the field, even 15-20 he isn't bad. After that our receivers may have to make a play with rivers and thats ok, because from everything i hear he's got pinpoint accuracy on shorter passes. If we can get second and short, ricky becomes unstoppable, the play action becomes unstoppable, which also allows for a little more error on a long throw since we'll have more separation... I still havent decided on my position for the dolphins off season, all i know is i hope we get a 1/3 for ogun.

then id hope for some combination of
Rivers/Losman
Carey
Clayton/Reggie Williams/Jenkins, etc...

I have to say I get a kick out of reading this QB evaluation speculation. But, lets keep a few things in mind.

1. The people that know what they are talking about (team execs and scouts) are not going to give you an honest evaluation since the draft is basically a big pocker game. The people that talk are usually media guys (Mel Kiper?!?!?) or fanboys that have no idea what they are talking about.

2. One workout is often a poor way to evaluate a player. I bet Leaf had some outstanding workouts.

3. I'm just one of those fanboys, but as an FSU fan I have watched Rivers for years and its hard to think of too many players that impressed me as much as he did. Even when we were hitting the guy he kept passing the ball at the last second with an accuracy and a release that was not Marino, but damn impressive.

I think the guy has got "it". I could be wrong, but all you have to do is pull out some game tape and watch this guy. If you don't think he is special, then well . . . watch again.

1. The people that know what they are talking about (team execs and scouts) are not going to give you an honest evaluation since the draft is basically a big pocker game. The people that talk are usually media guys (Mel Kiper?!?!?) or fanboys that have no idea what they are talking about.

Kiper was on Rivers' jock a lot like some of the people are here, only Kiper has seen the light & stepped back from the dark side.:vader:

mel kiper knows no more than anyone else, i wish i could find the site i had last year that ran down his scouting reports of past drafts and shown how far off he was on so many picks.

Unfortunately, he and ESPN always only bring up the ones he gets right

Not worth trusting anyone, youll see all sorts of reports from all sorts of scouts. most people donthave any insider info, all these websites and articles you read don't mean much. It's one workout, and it is a poker game, and we wont know til next year(or a few years after) when rivers lands in green bay, then when favre retires and rivers does well we can all b**** about how we didn't get rivers jsut like we did boldin and other guys in the past.

for me it comes down to this:
we're a damn talented team and we always will be because we know how to manage the cap and bring in the right talent to compete. There are very few guys we can take that will make an immediate impact(maybe carey, maybe a WR but there are loads of them)

So i'm all for getting rivers or losman(hell i may even settle for schaub) and at least having the hope of finding a franchise quarterback.
I hate waiting around for stupid Sage and/or Jay to emerge or for us to find some free agent, or some former backup/cfler. I want a drafted dolphin to come up through the ranks and be the man, dan's man, and i want him this year, no more waiting.

bring in brunell, draft the rookie qb, get a wr later
well be extremely young at every position on offense and just good enough on defense to make a super bowl run for the next couple years. Also in future drafts we can go back to focusing on defense
since we are aging there.

Kiper has never been great at mock drafts. What he is good at is evaluations.

mel kiper knows no more than anyone else, i wish i could find the site i had last year that ran down his scouting reports of past drafts and shown how far off he was on so many picks.

Actually he's towards the top of the list.
http://thehuddlereport.com/mockcomp.htm

C'mon guys. I mean who REALLY knows?

It's always a 50/50 crap shoot with any athlete when they hit he NFL. The ones with all the tools sometimes don't make it and sometimes some 5th rounder who had a laundry list of knocks against him, then makes it.

No one should be living or dieing by these comments.

By the way for everyone who says River can't throw the deep ball, they said the same thing about Montana and Pennington.

I still thik we can get quality talent at WR in the late rounds. But next years QB crop is weak. We better take one this year.

They said Pennington had a good but not great.

A deep ball does not require a fantastic arm.

Look at Brady his deep balls are accurate and good, but he is only a slightly better than Pennington arm.

Mock Drafts are scored (S) 1 point for each player correctly placed in the first round (P) and 2 points for each player matched to correct team (M). --according to huddle report

1 point for every player placed in the first round, i think im good for 25 points at least there, another two for getting the team right(i think i could be mid to high 30s, and i wouldnt be put a couple points off from mel, who changes his right up until draft day after talking to every gm he can)...
My espn challenge results last year
1st - Cincinnati Carson Palmer, USC QB 1
2nd - Detroit Charles Rogers, Michigan State WR 2
3rd - Houston Andre Johnson, Miami (Fla) WR 3
4th - NY (AFC) Dewayne Robertson, Kentucky DT 4
5th - Dallas Terence Newman, Kansas State DB 5
6th - Arizona Byron Leftwich, Marshall QB 6
7th - Minnesota Marcus Trufant, Washington State DB 7
8th - Jacksonville Jordan Gross, Utah OT 8
9th - Carolina Terrell Suggs, Arizona State DE 9
10th - Baltimore Kyle Boller, California QB 10
11th - Seattle Jimmy Kennedy, Penn State DT 11
12th - St. Louis Boss Bailey, Georgia LB
13th - Chicago Kevin Williams, Oklahoma State DT
14th - New England Jonathan Sullivan, Georgia DT
15th - San Diego Ty Warren, Texas A&M DT 15
http://games.espn.go.com/nfldraft/entry?entryID=69291

6 exactly right(12 points), most if not all of them in the first round(didn't double check), gives me another 15 points... im at 27 and i didnt even pick the last half+ of the round.

I'm a 21 year old full time market research assistant and full time college student, needless to say i watched all of about 2 college football games that season... my guess is as good as kipers, so is yours.

Originally posted by SMadison29
LOL, this is funny. Like I said last night, I knew I was right about Rivers. He better work his butt off between now & the combine fixing his release & hitting the weights to get his arm stronger.

Still high and mighty aren't you? Your nothing more than a Losman fanboy who refuses to see Rivers for who he is. Go ahead laud that, your going to have to eat those words someday.

And for the earlier post about people consistenly hitting 50 yard passes, your right, it doesn't happen. And you said he's good 15-20 yards, and great within 10..WRONG there. Last night the Big O said he was AWESOME through 20 yards out. What a team needs is a QB who can read defenses, and throw 10-20 yard accurate passes, Rivers can do that and more. I know you were agreeing that Rivers is good, I just fitured I'd give you a little ammo to shoot at uneducated boobs that say "rivers has a noodle arm, and is inaccurate beyond 10 yards". Despite ALL reports saying he's accurate as hell within 20 yards, and has an impressive arm.

Hoenstly, I think I'm going to start saying Dan Marino was on crack and was gay. My saying that has about as much valididity as SMadison here saying "rivers has a noodle arm, and can't is inaccurate past 10 yards".

I think the ideal situation for Rivers is actually in Trestman's system if Turner leaves.

Back
Top Bottom