Mel Kiper thinks we should have picked Matt Ryan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper thinks we should have picked Matt Ryan

Jal

It's Alive!
Reaction score
On the way to work I was listening to the Doug & Wolf show on KTAR here in Phoenix, AZ. They had Mel Kiper on being interviewed about various football topics and of course the 2008 draft came up.

During the interview he was asked if he was able to redo a team's pick from the 2008 draft, what team would it be. He said the Dolphins and that he would've picked Matt Ryan 1st overall instead of Jake Long. His reasoning was that the Dolphins drafting of Chad Henne was an indication that Parcells and company don't believe in John Beck's ability. He continued saying that if Parcells and co. didn't believe in Beck's abilities, they should've drafted Ryan 1st overall. He also said that he thinks Henne is overrated and has accuracy issues.

I completely disagree with Kiper's point of view. I think we got the best value in the way we drafted, since I think Ryan was overrated. Only time will tell....

Just thought I'd see what some of you guys thought....

Here's a link to their page - I think the interview can be listened to from this page: http://ktar.net/blogs/arrr/

I can't wait till McShay takes Kiper's job and I never have to hear from him again.

It doesn't matter who our quarterback is, if we can protect him it doesn't matter.

Does Kiper think Brady or Peyton Manning could succeed behind our line?

We are more than a quarterback away from being great.

I just don't see what all the hype is about Ryan. On the morning of the draft I was hoping the Jets would take him. That's how much I believe in Matt Ryan:lol: I thought he was worth maybe a 3rd round pick.

He has said this over and over again, and I still think its dumb. NO QB will succeed behind a suspect OL. Not Matt Ryan. Not Tom Brady. Not Peyton Manning. Its pretty simple actually. MOREOVER, I always tape the draft, and as I watched it over, I heard Kiper talking about who some team could take at the top of the 2nd at QB (maybe the Jets? I forget, but its irrelevant). He said something to the effect of, "You're looking at Brian Brohm, I dont see Henne or Flacco getting out of the first."

So, let me get this straight. He is overrated, but you felt he could be a 1st rounder? AND, it was a bad pick, even considering we got who you considered to be a 1st round value in the LATE 2nd?

Long and Henne > Ryan and Baker

On the way to work I was listening to the Doug & Wolf show on KTAR here in Phoenix, AZ. They had Mel Kiper on being interviewed about various football topics and of course the 2008 draft came up.

During the interview he was asked if he was able to redo a team's pick from the 2008 draft, what team would it be. He said the Dolphins and that he would've picked Matt Ryan 1st overall instead of Jake Long. His reasoning was that the Dolphins drafting of Chad Henne was an indication that Parcells and company don't believe in John Beck's ability. He continued saying that if Parcells and co. didn't believe in Beck's abilities, they should've drafted Ryan 1st overall. He also said that he thinks Henne is overrated and has accuracy issues.

I completely disagree with Kiper's point of view. I think we got the best value in the way we drafted, since I think Ryan was overrated. Only time will tell....

Just thought I'd see what some of you guys thought....

Here's a link to their page - I think the interview can be listened to from this page: http://ktar.net/blogs/arrr/

Ryan was definately overrated even in the top ten. Kiper is a moron

It doesn't matter who our quarterback is, if we can protect him it doesn't matter.

Does Kiper think Brady or Peyton Manning could succeed behind our line?

We are more than a quarterback away from being great.

I totally agree :up: - I was hoping for Chris Long originally, but I had no problems with Jake Long #1 since Jake can be the foundation of a new O-line. The only pick I couldn't stomach was Ryan at #1 - I think there was comparable talent in the 2nd round as I thought he was only marginally better than the other top QBs.

I think we made the right pick.

IMO, Matt Ryan = Alex Smith

He has said this over and over again, and I still think its dumb. NO QB will succeed behind a suspect OL. Not Matt Ryan. Not Tom Brady. Not Peyton Manning. Its pretty simple actually. MOREOVER, I always tape the draft, and as I watched it over, I heard Kiper talking about who some team could take at the top of the 2nd at QB (maybe the Jets? I forget, but its irrelevant). He said something to the effect of, "You're looking at Brian Brohm, I dont see Henne or Flacco getting out of the first."

So, let me get this straight. He is overrated, but you felt he could be a 1st rounder? AND, it was a bad pick, even considering we got who you considered to be a 1st round value in the LATE 2nd?

Long and Henne > Ryan and Baker

Very true - Not to mention the fact that the linemen were flying off the boards in the 1st round. There's no way we could've drafted the talent we got if we had taken Ryan 1st overall.

Mel Kiper is a douche bag who cares what he says. this is the same dude that said Alex Smith was going to be a great QB.

Kiper is a moron. If the Fins had NO faith in Beck they would have taken a QB at #1 or #32. Drafting Henne tells me that they like Beck but arent sold which is what we were hearing before the draft.

Mel Kiper is wrong half the time... He is just like a weather guy, wrong 60% of the time and he still has a job...

Kiper has just developed a line of logic and is running with it. When Chad Henne was drafted at #57, he took it as a straight up indictment of John Beck. The natural extension of that is, well if you're not convinced about John Beck, then you should have just taken the top QB in this draft at #1 overall instead of taking a shot on a kid that has problems.

I respect his line of logic, but I disagree with the first assumption in it. Drafting Henne at #57 was not an indictment of Beck. In fact, I believe passing on Henne at #32 and then refusing to trade ahead of the Packers were both endorsements of what John Beck has shown them since they took over the team.

Mel Kiper does not know a thing Ryan isnt much better than Henne and we couldnt have got a linemen as good as Long in the second round

Back
Top Bottom