Mel Kiper thinks we should have picked Matt Ryan | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper thinks we should have picked Matt Ryan

nobody knows how QB's will turn out, but we keep talking about them

if Atlanta keeps making moves like trading up for Baker, things will be tough for Ryan

its all about talent, if you put Derek Anderson with our personnel he wouldn't do jack

What good is a franchise quarterback if you don't have a solid/franchise left tackle to protect him? The need for Jake Long trumped the notion of selecting Ryan.

Agreed, unless you're the Cardinals and Matt Leinart. :lol:

nobody knows how QB's will turn out, but we keep talking about them

if Atlanta keeps making moves like trading up for Baker, things will be tough for Ryan

its all about talent, if you put Derek Anderson with our personnel he wouldn't do jack

Baker is a solid LT prospect, probably has as much upside as Carey did coming out of college and similarily rated.

Right, and Carey has proven to be a far superior RT than LT.

I think Baker is probably better suited as a guard.

Right, and Carey has proven to be a far superior RT than LT.

I think Baker is probably better suited as a guard.

Just saying at least they tried to get some help on line to protect Ryan and Baker and Blaylock are good building blocks. I think Blaylock will become a premier guard in the league. If Atlanta had not moved up the quality of lineman would have been worse so it was a smart move.

Just saying at least they tried to get some help on line to protect Ryan and Baker and Blaylock are good building blocks. I think Blaylock will become a premier guard in the league. If Atlanta had not moved up the quality of lineman would have been worse so it was a smart move.

they had all those picks and they ended up making a HUGE reach for a T

that is bad

I am not totally against drafting for need, but you need to look long term

like us the Falcons are a few drafts away so why settle at T? get a T next year just like we will be drafting a WR and CB(among other things) next year

:sidelol:
On the way to work I was listening to the Doug & Wolf show on KTAR here in Phoenix, AZ. They had Mel Kiper on being interviewed about various football topics and of course the 2008 draft came up.

During the interview he was asked if he was able to redo a team's pick from the 2008 draft, what team would it be. He said the Dolphins and that he would've picked Matt Ryan 1st overall instead of Jake Long. His reasoning was that the Dolphins drafting of Chad Henne was an indication that Parcells and company don't believe in John Beck's ability. He continued saying that if Parcells and co. didn't believe in Beck's abilities, they should've drafted Ryan 1st overall. He also said that he thinks Henne is overrated and has accuracy issues.

I completely disagree with Kiper's point of view. I think we got the best value in the way we drafted, since I think Ryan was overrated. Only time will tell....

Just thought I'd see what some of you guys thought....

Here's a link to their page - I think the interview can be listened to from this page: http://ktar.net/blogs/arrr/

Kiper is a tool, he predictions are usually wrong and the guy never has a nice thing to say about anything...I agree, when Espn gets rid of Kiper, I will stop boycotting their website...

Wait just a second. If the Fins had taken Ryan and traded up for Baker like Atlanta did, this board would have been up in arms. Fact is, they panicked. They took a QB, when they had a serious issue along the OL (worse than us), and had no choice but to a) give up picks to move up and b) reach for a player.

So they have two unproven but potentially good guards. Great. Only their LT is Quinn Ojinnaaka. Good luck Matt.

i'd have taken mel kiper's hair before i took matt ryan with pick number one.

if Mel was signing the checks, I bet he would think twice

you can find QB's in the CFL, late in the draft, off of practice squads

Kiper has just developed a line of logic and is running with it. When Chad Henne was drafted at #57, he took it as a straight up indictment of John Beck. The natural extension of that is, well if you're not convinced about John Beck, then you should have just taken the top QB in this draft at #1 overall instead of taking a shot on a kid that has problems.

I respect his line of logic, but I disagree with the first assumption in it. Drafting Henne at #57 was not an indictment of Beck. In fact, I believe passing on Henne at #32 and then refusing to trade ahead of the Packers were both endorsements of what John Beck has shown them since they took over the team.

Exactly. If you don't think that Ryan is a franchise QB then you don't take him #1, bottom line. Kiper might have had a point re: Henne at #32, but not at #57. Somehow I think that even Kiper knows it deep down, but his pride is getting in the way of his logic. Good think that he doesn't trade stocks. J Livermore would scold him. BTW, TRMB is going to pop, take a look at it.

On the way to work I was listening to the Doug & Wolf show on KTAR here in Phoenix, AZ. They had Mel Kiper on being interviewed about various football topics and of course the 2008 draft came up.

During the interview he was asked if he was able to redo a team's pick from the 2008 draft, what team would it be. He said the Dolphins and that he would've picked Matt Ryan 1st overall instead of Jake Long. His reasoning was that the Dolphins drafting of Chad Henne was an indication that Parcells and company don't believe in John Beck's ability. He continued saying that if Parcells and co. didn't believe in Beck's abilities, they should've drafted Ryan 1st overall. He also said that he thinks Henne is overrated and has accuracy issues.

I completely disagree with Kiper's point of view. I think we got the best value in the way we drafted, since I think Ryan was overrated. Only time will tell....

Just thought I'd see what some of you guys thought....

Here's a link to their page - I think the interview can be listened to from this page: http://ktar.net/blogs/arrr/

Nice find!

But I do not hold stock in what Mel Kiper has to say. Ever since he had the Colts back in 94 taking Dilfer with their #2 pick instead of Marshal Faulk.

All he does is bash draft after draft and has been right....never!

I don't know if anybody remembers when he had Andre Ware QB from U of Houston as an excellent pick and will be a star in the NFL!

What has he ever done to justify even being in a position to make these statements????

He even had Ryan leaf picked over Payton Manning! This guy just pisses me off.

There's some guys on this board that could do a better job! :wave: CK

Wait just a second. If the Fins had taken Ryan and traded up for Baker like Atlanta did, this board would have been up in arms. Fact is, they panicked. They took a QB, when they had a serious issue along the OL (worse than us), and had no choice but to a) give up picks to move up and b) reach for a player.

So they have two unproven but potentially good guards. Great. Only their LT is Quinn Ojinnaaka. Good luck Matt.

How did Atlanta panic, what OL had more value than Ryan at pick 3. No offenisive lineman left was rated higher than Ryan, so u would rather they skip qb and reach for a lesser rated lineman at pick 3. Sam Baker should be able to play left tackle in the NFL the question is how good will he be. He was a 4 year starter for USC and only gave up one sack. His run blocking needs work but he should be a very good pass blocker. They needed an olinemen and Baker was projected as a late first round to early second round pick. The left side of thier line should be very good in pass blocking.

Back
Top Bottom