Mel Kiper thinks we should have picked Matt Ryan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper thinks we should have picked Matt Ryan

If Ryan becomes a franchise QB in Atlanta, and both Beck / Henne fail to emerge in Miami, Kiper will be correct in making that statement. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, but it certainly could....

PHINZ RULE!!!

The drafting of Hennie did not warrant the job of John Beck, it added depth to a talent depleted quarterback group. With McCown coming in, is obvious that we needed to bring somebody in to fill a huge void. With that being said, there is a quarterback competition and may the best player win.

I understand Kiper's logic, but it would have turned out worse because we needed oline real bad. i dont think it was a case we did not like Ryan. It was obvious we wanted a young Qb to groom but this front office made it known that they liked Henne much like the prior regime liked Beck Both regimes gambled and got the qb they wanted. If people want to act like Ryan was overrated thats fine but people that knew football thought he was worth a high pick. Atlanta got thier qb and got a good lineman by trading up. If people want to act like drafting Henne at 57 over 32 makes the FO seem like they have faith in Beck fine but in reality teams dont draft qb's in second round just for depth. Our team analized the draft and thought they could get Henne at 57 with Brohm still there. Merling was rated higher on every draft board than Henne so I dont see it as anymore of an indictment than us taking Ginn last year in the first. We needed a Qb real bad and still took another position. This FO chose thier qb of the future and will be more than happy if Beck turns out good that way they have leverage and more. I still think Beck will be a good NFL backup(dont see why people see this as so much of an insult since most qb's dont even turn out this good). I personally see no reason to even think of trading Beck since a good backup is hard to find. Anything can happen maybe Beck responds with a Derek Anderson type year although with our receivers that might be pretty hard.

If Ryan becomes a franchise QB in Atlanta, and both Beck / Henne fail to emerge in Miami, Kiper will be correct in making that statement. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, but it certainly could....

PHINZ RULE!!!

And if Long becomes a franchise left tackle going to pro bowl after pro bowl? Would the pick still be considered bad? Not IMO

And if Long becomes a franchise left tackle going to pro bowl after pro bowl? Would the pick still be considered bad? Not IMO

The Long pick should be good on its own merit. I love Ryan as a Qb but I think Long is an elite tackle while Ryan should be a very good qb. We need alot of positions so in that arena u take the highest rated player at a position of need.

PHINZ RULE!!!

It's too bad that Kiper seems to think he already knows what the future holds rather then waiting to see what'll happen.

Must be the hairspray

His reasoning was that the Dolphins drafting of Chad Henne was an indication that Parcells and company don't believe in John Beck's ability. He continued saying that if Parcells and co. didn't believe in Beck's abilities, they should've drafted Ryan 1st overall

First off, Kiper is a human bobble head. I can't watch the guy talk because he makes me dizzy. Seriously. Watch teh guy. See if he's able to talk without bobbing his head all over the screen.

Second, his quote about drafting Henne is completely wrong. He thinks that by drafting Henne means we don't trust Beck. And if we didn't trust Beck you take Ryan. Well thats where his simple mind stops. The fact that we DIDN'T draft Ryan proves that there is a level of trust for Beck and that we got Henne at a good price and since we only had 2 QBs we needed a 3rd. Thus the Henne draft.

Kiper is just dogging the Dolphins picks because he said we'd do one thing and we didn't, thus making him look stupid. Which he is. So now he's trying to save face.

Consider the source: In the premier service which ranks the accuracy of so-called draft gurus, Kiper barely makes the top 40% in the cottage industry he supposedly pioneered. In effect, if Mel predicts rain, pack your umbrella 4 out of every 7 days. Mel's shtick on TV is a little like Jim Cramer going "booyah" on CNBC instead of still running a hedge fund at a time when they were all still printing barrels of money. And as far as Mc'Shea is concerned, ask the Woodson family about him after he predicted his 2nd or 3rd round selection. These TV guys are media court jesters at best.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/FREE_CONTENT/top100mock.shtml

It doesn't matter who our quarterback is, if we can protect him it doesn't matter.

Does Kiper think Brady or Peyton Manning could succeed behind our line?

We are more than a quarterback away from being great.

Agreed!!! We WERE a QB away from being great back during the days of our great defense a few years ago. Back b4 Ricky became overly obsessed with Ganja & when Wanny had his love affair with Jay Feidler

What good is a franchise quarterback if you don't have a solid/franchise left tackle to protect him? The need for Jake Long trumped the notion of selecting Ryan.

Kiper has just developed a line of logic and is running with it. When Chad Henne was drafted at #57, he took it as a straight up indictment of John Beck. The natural extension of that is, well if you're not convinced about John Beck, then you should have just taken the top QB in this draft at #1 overall instead of taking a shot on a kid that has problems.

I respect his line of logic, but I disagree with the first assumption in it. Drafting Henne at #57 was not an indictment of Beck. In fact, I believe passing on Henne at #32 and then refusing to trade ahead of the Packers were both endorsements of what John Beck has shown them since they took over the team.
Yes! Exactly! It was good value for where he was picked and it doesn't hurt to stockpile a couple of QB's for insurance and future value to the team. Look at Gruden.

Yes! Exactly! It was good value for where he was picked and it doesn't hurt to stockpile a couple of QB's for insurance and future value to the team. Look at Gruden.

Teams just dont stockpile qb's by drafting qb's back to back in the second

They do when a) "THEY" didnt draft one last year, and b) last year's looked like garbage.

When you are running a franchise, whether you like what was there when you got there or not, you're not willing to have your name attached to a QB that is considered an unknown. Why waste a year, and wait to see whether John is THE guy, rather than adding a guy that has the potential to be THE guy. Sheesh another Henne/Beck debate.

Fact is, if John works out, then hooray. If he doesnt, there is now a plan in place.

Back
Top Bottom