Mel says Rivers is rising | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel says Rivers is rising

Originally posted by Fisticuff

Then why would you want him?

IMO Rivers is a great college QB who has all the intangibles you want in an NFL starter.

Like Smad was saying (i don't know if he was thinking this) his passes are not deep. they're very short, and IMO he is a SYSTEM QB. Thats not a bad thing if you run the system. But you can never change the offense. I can't see him running the dolphins offense if NT was still our OC. He couldn't make all those throws.

70% completion means he's dinking and dunking. no QB who runs a vertical offense can have that stat throughout an entire season.

Let things get in motion... and IMO i still think Losman has what it takes, and needs to adjust to a pro style offense (remember he ran a shotgun in 2003).

Pickett is another name you should remember. I think he can be a very good NFL QB.

have you watched Rivers? He had a 70% completion rating with passes over 80 yards 3 out of his 4 years (2nd year longest was 60), and YPP average was longer than Losmans.
He's not a dink and dunk passes, he makes good reads and takes what is given to him. Be that a 5 yard out, or a 50 yard bomb. That is what gave him a 70% completion rating.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Except the senior bowl. You can check this to be sure if you want but I do believe Greg Jones carried offensive MVP honors for the Senior Bowl.

5th Paragraph

Rivers completed 12 of 19 passes, two for first-quarter touchdowns, to earn Most Valuable Player honors. He played one series in the final three quarters, re-entering late in the fourth.

hmm... it's interesting because i KNOW Greg Jones was MVP.

"I just wanted to show everybody that even though I'm 250 pounds I can do almost everything," said Jones, who was the South's offensive MVP. "I try to do everything and I want to do everything, and I want to be the best."

http://www.ajc.com/uga/content/sports/uga/0104/26senior.html

Originally posted by 13isgr81

You' re Wrong
here is the quote:
Came back to win Offensive MVP honors for the Wolfpack at the Tangerine Bowl, where he passed for 189 yards.

If you Check the link you will see that EVERY YEAR he went to a bowl game, won the game and was MVP. I guess for every superman there is a Lex Luther.

You need to read more critically. That says came back to win the offensive MVP award. Not the game or MVP award.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2001/bowls/news/2001/12/20/pitt_ncstate_ap/

Pitt won 34-19

You're not the only one to make that mistake.

Originally posted by Graythreat

have you watched Rivers? He had a 70% completion rating with passes over 80 yards 3 out of his 4 years (2nd year longest was 60), and YPP average was longer than Losmans.
He's not a dink and dunk passes, he makes good reads and takes what is given to him. Be that a 5 yard out, or a 50 yard bomb. That is what gave him a 70% completion rating.

I've watched rivers 4 times this year, have preached rivers all year, and i know what I'm talking about. His offense is a dink and dunk offense. WR screens, RB screens, 10 yard patterns, etc..

i didn't say he wasn't capable of hitting deep passes, because I've seen him do it. The majority of his offense is based on yards after catch.

I've watched rivers 4 times this year, have preached rivers all year, and i know what I'm talking about. His offense is a dink and dunk offense. WR screens, RB screens, 10 yard patterns, etc..

i didn't say he wasn't capable of hitting deep passes, because I've seen him do it. The majority of his offense is based on yards after catch.

Hmmm....sound like an offense that's headed to the SB....or two offenses even?

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

What does that matter? It's not our offense.

Originally posted by Graythreat

South MVP, not Game MVP right?

hmm (reading more closley) yes you're right. PR was game MVP.

i like the offense myself. i understand it wins SB, but Smad is right. the dolphins aren't going in that direction.

IF Charlie Wies could be miami's HC, then i think rivers would fit like a GLOVE. but it's not the offense miami runs now.

Originally posted by SMadison29

What does that matter? It's not our offense.

That's the whole point that I've been trying to make for at least a month (less than that here). Our offense DOESN'T WORK for the players we have.

I guess next I'm going to hear that the only offense that will work for Miami is Norv Turner's, or the one Dan Marino ran.

SMART offenses scheme to take advantage of their players' abilities and strengths (i.e. New England/Brady, Carolina/Delhomme...imo Rivers has it over both of these guys). I'm not saying we need to jump right out and mimic their offense to a T, but there are lessons to be learned there.

The next Dan Marino to come out of the draft will NEVER come out of the draft. He's retired and wearing a suit.

There's no 1 right formula for offense.

i like the offense myself. i understand it wins SB, but Smad is right. the dolphins aren't going in that direction.

IF Charlie Wies could be miami's HC, then i think rivers would fit like a GLOVE. but it's not the offense miami runs now.

Tunnel vision will continue to kill us then.

Tunnel vision will continue to kill us then.

Maybe, but thats the direction...

I think Losman is a better fit for the offense, and i don't see why everyone has shrugged him off because he had a bad game. He needs more then a week to learn a pro style offense after being in a shotgun offense for a few years. it's not like miami would make him the starter opening day.

Maybe, but thats the direction...

I think Losman is a better fit for the offense, and i don't see why everyone has shrugged him off because he had a bad game. He needs more then a week to learn a pro style offense after being in a shotgun offense for a few years. it's not like miami would make him the starter opening day.

Well...I never disregarded Losman. Have said several times I'd be happy with either, I just prefer Rivers.

I think with this shakeup in the offensive coaching collection that we'll see better adjustments and better gameplans to fit the players. Wanny being relieve of the burden of calling offensive plays is a big plus.

Back
Top Bottom