Mel says Rivers is rising | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel says Rivers is rising

I like Rivers more than Losman. Thanks for coming up with that detailed (over)analysis of each and every one of Rivers' passes but to be honest I seriously doubt that every single one his 19 attempts except like two of them, were his primary reads.

There is NO way for you to know that. None. You can look at the tape all you want and try and discern whether or not Rivers looked at anyone else before he passed it to so-and-so, but that doesn't make them his primary read even if he didn't. Part of the most important reading a QB does is BEFORE the snap, reading the defense and deciding who his primary read will be. If it looks like Rivers is completing the ball to his primary receiver a ton of times, that should be viewed as a good thing because he's obviously changing up his reads at the LOS based on what the D is doing.

Anyway his high YPA at NC State is more than likely due to his 72% completion. If he had a 72% completion and a low YPA that would draw some serious red flags.

And quit talkin about how the North wasn't allowed to blitz. A lot of NFL teams do not blitz very often including the two teams playing in the Super Bowl

This system stuff is a little overblown. GB in theory runs a WCO but they pound Green and throw long often just like Norv's O is supposed to. Norv used the deep out more, but both offenses use the deep in. The only real difference is that GB uses man blocking while Norv preferred a zone blocking scheme. The WCO has so many incarnations b/c everybody adds something new. I'm sure every play in GB's playbook exists in Miami's and vice-a-versa. Differences are the result of individual preferences and talents. GB throws long b/c Favre is good at it. Also, our OC is now Collier who worked under Norv and Gailey plus many others. I'm sure he learned things from all of them. If he is any good then he will adjust his play calling to fit the talent available to him.

I'm sure every play in GB's playbook exists in Miami's and vice-a-versa. Differences are the result of individual preferences and talents

That, is not true.

There's a lot of differences between Norv's offense and a WCO offense. The misconception here is that a WCO doesn't throw deep. They not only do, they have to because if they do not then CBs just sit on the short routes. This is why the best of the WCO quarterbacks like Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Donovan McNabb all have guns. Joe Montana had a decent gun as well.

That's the whole point that I've been trying to make for at least a month (less than that here). Our offense DOESN'T WORK for the players we have.

You're right to a point. It doesn't work for the QBs we have.

Originally posted by Fisticuff

i like the offense myself. i understand it wins SB, but Smad is right. the dolphins aren't going in that direction.

IF Charlie Wies could be miami's HC, then i think rivers would fit like a GLOVE. but it's not the offense miami runs now.

how do you know what the future holds for the finz' offense? rivers might fit in perfectly in collier's system and they might take him at #20. we've never seen collier's offense, so we don't know what kind of offense we will see next year

True. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen is how completely awkward and dumb Paul Hackett's offense seems in NY when someone other than Chad Pennington is running it, and how brilliant it seems when Chad Pennington runs it. WEIRD.

Originally posted by SMadison29

What about Marino & Elway?

it's an ignorant statement to begin with... just ignore it.

How many WCO variations are there? The basics of the WCO were short passes to backs and TEs, timing based routes and man blocking. The various WCOs don't adhere to these principals. Norv uses passes to the backs and TEs and timing based routes. Every system has some form of a route tree. Do you believe that some branches are missing depending on the system? I've heard various NFL people (players and coaches) say we all have the same plays we just choose to emphasize different ones.

I also disagree about Montana. He threw a nice seam pass but his arm was about as strong as Rivers, good enough but not a cannon.

Montana had a pretty good arm for throwing deep and had great deep accuracy. We don't know whether Rivers has those same qualities until he gets into the NFL.

I've heard various NFL people (players and coaches) say we all have the same plays we just choose to emphasize different ones.

So uhh, whats your point here. If in one offense you run a particular kind of play 1 out of 100 times and in another offense you run that kind of play 20 out of 100 times, they remain really different offenses and in the first the QB doesn't necessarily have to have that play perfected while in the latter if he doesn't, the offense goes nowhere.

Hey if we want Rivers bad enough then we will trade up. I really don't think AZ cardinals will pick Big Ben. I keep reading about how they need a young QB blah blah, but what about McNown. He's a young guy (4th pick last year) that matured toward the end of the season when he took over for Blake. Pitt will swap picks with AZ and pick Big Ben up. If we some how get into the top 15 we HAVE to pick the guy were targeting (hopefully Rivers).

Originally posted by ckparrothead

So uhh, whats your point here. If in one offense you run a particular kind of play 1 out of 100 times and in another offense you run that kind of play 20 out of 100 times, they remain really different offenses and in the first the QB doesn't necessarily have to have that play perfected while in the latter if he doesn't, the offense goes nowhere.

My point is that every play in GB's O is in Miami's and vice-a-versa. That was the exact point you questioned earlier. I also mentioned that a good OC will call the plays his team runs better, so the system doesn't matter as long as the OC adapts.

This is amazing, We're talkinng about what kind of plays we'll run next september and this is january...lol

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom