[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!?

This is the right way to build a football team. I love the current regime we have in place, there's reasons for optimism in Miami again. I wonder if Smiley will play right or left guard.

This looks like a classic example of a few people being pissed that the big marquee name was passed over for a "lesser" player. I know a lot of people want to make a real splash and bring in guys who ESPN likes to hype, but it just isn't always the best way to go.

Is Faneca a better player this minute? Sure. Is Smiley ever going to reach that level? Probably not. However, his best years are still ahead of him, while Faneca has maybe another 2-3 years max of playing at an elite level. Considering how many positions need to be upgraded, this was a very smart move, imo.

Smiley didn't play very well last season, but he was fighting injuries, including a separated shoulder, and the Niners offense on the whole was just atrocious. The year before, in 2006, Smiley played very well, and I think he outperformed all their other O Linemen.

He is a clear upgrade over Rex in my book, and that is really the goal here. To get better. If we only needed to fill a few holes and were close to contending, Faneca would have been the perfect fit. We're not, though.

no matter what anybody does there are always going to be ******* who will piss moan and complain about everything

i trust parcells, ireland and sparano

parcells record speaks for itself and it includes winning he knows talent and for him to come in 40 minutes after the fa signing period starts shows parcells believes he has the talent to help this football team

I feel EXACTLY the same way!

FA is our chance to land a veteran QB and REAL help for our Defensive and Offensive lines.

Keep in mind, in a true 3-4 scheme, our young NT's and DE's are just too small! None of the rooks we have fit what Parcells is looking for. Of the whole line, 3 players COULD adapt to a 3-4, that's it! Jason Taylor and Joey Porter are set on the outsides, but Parcells likes SIZE and SPEED in the 2 middle LB positions and CHANNING CROWDER doesn't project well for a 3-4 scheme.

So having said that:

Now that we've signed a RG, we need another veteran Guard but NOT a LT. The free agent pool sucks now that Adams is gone and PACE won't work with everything that we need. IF we didn't have to sign a QB maybe, but we can't afford it. The draft is CRAZY deep with LT's so you look there.

We aquire via trade or FA a TRUE 3-4 NOSE TACKLE. That will make ALL of the difference! Remember how BAD New England was the year BEFORE they drafted Wilfork, when they were playing our 38 year old NT and giving up over 100 yds per game? Wilfork solved that problem right quick for them.

We need THAT!

We also need 2 linebackers and a good FS.

If we get that, I'll be thrilled. Then we can draft whomever we feel will BEST help the team without having to plug in the whole NEED thing too much. Because with a first round pick, you don't draft need, you pick Best Available Player.

This year that could be any one of 6-7 players, depending on who you talk to. So, you sign ehlp in the trenches, draft their backups in the later rounds and acquire skill position players via the first 4 rounds of the draft.

That's how all of the great teams have done it lately!

Very happy with the SMILEY signing, it's a reasonable deal with good numbers and a good upside.

GO PHINS!!!
I disagree about our youth on the D-line. Rod Wright is plenty big enough to play DE in a 3-4 or a DT in a 4-3. Soliai is plenty big enough to play NT but he needs to develope and as posted in a thread the other day he knows what he has to work on. Remember he was a kid that got alot of playing time at the first of the year and our vets were shaking their heads and wondering why the coaches just quit playing him. Roth is plenty big enough for DE in either D as well. He set career highs in sacks and tackles last year while battleing injuries since training camp. Then of course we have Vonnie Holliday whom was injured last year and can play both. I say we just draft our D and maybe only for depth so we can the best players available.

Have you ever heard of Justin Smiley before tonight? Well said, just because Parcells signs him, he must be gold huh?

Last year during the draft this guy name was mentioned around these boards. In fact the 49ers were trying to trade him and alot of people on this site wanted us to pull the trade.

smiley is not that good of a lineman. hes not worth that kinda money. given its a good pic up for us only in the sence that hes better than most of what we have on the oline. but hes not a player that is going to wow anyone.

two hawaiian "shakahs" on this signing! build both sides of the line w/young players! won't be challenging for a super bowl w/older free agents! can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and see if we sign anyone else! i know free agents are expensive and often end up as busts . . . but still so exciting!!! let the real work get done in the draft and supplement with smart free agent signings!

yeah i remember smiley in college, he was good at alabama he is quick and can really move during screens he gets going quick

I hope he's stronger then he was at the scouting combine when he was drafted. He only bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times which is bad for an o-lineman!!!
The benching thing is way over rated BS. It has nothing to do with functional strength. Did you see the NFL network commercial with J. Allen? He benched 225 like 14 times or something like that and he's a pretty good football player, huh? I would kill to have that guy. I grew up with a lot of big gym, bench pressing muscle heads, my brother being one of them and most of them are such wusses, no functional strength at all. Growing up, whenever my parents needed something really heavy moved, they would always call me because my brother would always whine and complain that it hurts his back and he's 3 yrs older and like twice my size and can bench like 3 or 4 times as much as me. You can be both, but it doesn't tell much in and of itself.

smiley is not that good of a lineman. hes not worth that kinda money. given its a good pic up for us only in the sence that hes better than most of what we have on the oline. but hes not a player that is going to wow anyone.
Smiley is a great pick-up. I don't know where you found your sources but he is a beast. Why are you trying to bring us down? Is their any facts to what your saying? Can you give us a link to where you got it? Or are you just another pessimist that think we can't do anything right?

For you people that just come on here with opinions you need to go read the link on post #68.

I have just heard that Kris Jenkins of the Pasnthers will be traded to the Jets.

Back
Top Bottom