[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!?

From ESPN

"[Jake] Scott, [Justin] Smiley and [Jacob] Bell are all somewhat similar because they are still relatively young (26), and are all on the rise when it comes to their techniques and learning the tricks of the trade. They are all athletic and play with good leverage, effort and intensity. Scott is probably the most athletic of the three but plays a little light and lacks the kind of power the others bring. Bell is also athletic but plays a bit stronger than Scott and is extremely competitive. Smiley plays the strongest of the three and runs a close third when it comes to athleticism. This trio of guards are apt to command a lot of interest in free agency. Any team that lands one of these players would be getting [him] as [he] reach[es] [his] prime. As a result, a team could build its line around [him] or make [him] the final piece of the puzzle."

exactly parcells and ireland called him right at the start of FA signing, the dolphins wanted him because parcells and co see the talent he has, parcells knows talent, he isnt going to wait up until 12 in the morning to sign a guy if he isnt going to help this football team down the line

he wants to be here, he sounds very excited to be a dolphin why do people have to ***** about everything?

for the first time in a while things are looking up for the dolphins and people want to bring us down because they didnt go out and get the huge name

games are won on the field, it doesnt have to look pretty, you dont have to have the best stats or the best talent to win, you dont play the game for stats except the stat that matters and that is wins, if you want a player with hype and to look at stats go buy some football cards and leave us the hell alone

If you believe the deal didn't take place until midnight, I have a bridge to sell you. Not that I have a problem with it. Every team does it.

Im surprised no one has mention Jake Scott who we could also possibly sign to play the LG spot. Jacob Bell would be an awesome additionthat would solidify both Guards spot, but I think Bell has only played the RG spot in Tennesee. He is defitnetly a player I have been following for several years.

Jenkins is a good player. I dred seeing him twice a year. When he is motivated he is the best in the league. I was hopeing we could get him really.

I was hoping the Jets would pursue Smiley. He was up on the list with Faneca, Locklear, and Bell. Definitely psyched about Jenkins though, if it's a done deal and we actually hold onto Robertson (provided he restructures), the Jets DL could improve drastically.

If you believe the deal didn't take place until midnight, I have a bridge to sell you. Not that I have a problem with it. Every team does it.

shhhh dont want to get the dolphins busted for tampering:D

i also read on a site and people think the dolphins will make a run at maurice williams of jacksonville

Nice signing. Great to come online and get that news as our 1st signing.

I was hoping the Jets would pursue Smiley. He was up on the list with Faneca, Locklear, and Bell. Definitely psyched about Jenkins though, if it's a done deal and we actually hold onto Robertson (provided he restructures), the Jets DL could improve drastically.
The report I seen said that Robertson don't fit what Mangini was trying to do and they gave him permission to seek a trade.

How is 6-3 311 undersized for a pulling Guard? You know Faneca is 6-5 307 don't you?

That assesment was pulled from various scouting reports I have read. And what players "list" at and what they "really" are, usually are two different things.

If you want to see for yourself that reports scout him as not having the best size, go look at the one listed in the thread about us signing him.

Honestly I dont care either way, hes known for being mobile and good on the move. Not for his strength. But as I said I am very happy about this signing!!!

I Want to see more good, smart signings that make us younger and better!:hi5:

Im surprised no one has mention Jake Scott who we could also possibly sign to play the LG spot. Jacob Bell would be an awesome additionthat would solidify both Guards spot, but I think Bell has only played the RG spot in Tennesee. He is defitnetly a player I have been following for several years.

bell was the starter for the titans on the left side i believe in 2006 and i think in 07.

That assesment was pulled from various scouting reports I have read. And what players "list" at and what they "really" are, usually are two different things.

If you want to see for yourself that reports scout him as not having the best size, go look at the one listed in the thread about us signing him.

Honestly I dont care either way, hes known for being mobile and good on the move. Not for his strength. But as I said I am very happy about this signing!!!

I Want to see more good, smart signings that make us younger and better!:hi5:
Check the ESPN report on post #90 in the Dolphins sign Smiley thread. I like it best.

The report I seen said that Robertson don't fit what Mangini was trying to do and they gave him permission to seek a trade.

I'd heard that the Broncos had interest, but not so much as the Jets gave him permission to seek a trade. It wouldn't surprise me though given his horrifying contract. A move to DE, even in a 3-4, would work wonders for him me thinks.

Some of the latest news including the Jenkins deal.

Everyone expected a quick start to free agency, but the limited market of players made things ever crazier than normal Friday morning.

Less than a hour after the 12:01 a.m. start to free agency, the Dolphins reached a five-year, $25 million deal with 49ers guard Justin Smiley that included $9 million of guarantees. The Raiders quickly made contact with 49es tackle Kwame Harris and may try to do something at a similar price although talks are in the early stages.

The 49ers wasted no time hitting their free-agency shopping list. They agreed with Vikings linebacker Dontarrious Thomas to a two-year deal and allowed Lions quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan to be re-united with new 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz by agreeing to a one-year, $645,000 contract. The 49ers also locked up a two-year, $1.8 million deal with former Panthers halfback DeShaun Foster and a one-year, $870,000 deal with kick-returner/cornerback Allen Rossum.

The post midnight contact for Steelers guard Alan Faneca set the stage to a possible $8 million-a-year deal before Monday. The 49ers, Rams and Jets contacted Faneca's agent, Rick Smith, after midnight to set up visits. Faneca plans to spend Friday mapping out plans and visit a team Sunday. The Cardinals expressed interest in Faneca but indicated to him they couldn't do an $8 million a year deal now because of Larry Fitzgerald's contract. Fitzgerald has a $16.48 million cap number this year and the team hasn't been able to restructure his contract.

The phone was busy for Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel with the Eagles making the early calls and winning the first visit. Samuel is hoping to get a five-year, $50 million or six-year, $62 million contract that will force him to leave the Patriots.

Things were tight-lipped around Randy Moss, the Patriots receiver who wasn't franchised and is technically a free agent. Many believe he will re-sign in New England, but there was no deal in place at the start of free agency.

The Falcons contacted Seahawks kicker Josh Brown and also tried to convince Chargers running back Michael Turner to make a visit on Friday. The Panthers convinced Raiders defensive end Tyler Brayton to make Carolina his first visit. The Vikings and 49ers battled it out to convince Bengals defensive end Justin Smith, but Smith informed the 49ers he will make San Francisco his first stop.

Late deals to keep players prevented some suitors from getting visits. Defensive tackle Brian Young is considering an offer to re-sign with the Saints and declined a visit. Chris Redman is considering re-signing with the Falcons.

Plenty of trades are expected to be announced Friday. The Packers traded franchise defensive tackle Corey Williams to the Browns for a second-round choice. Williams is expected to sign a six-year, $38 million contract. The Saints are close to finishing a trade for Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma. Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is heading to the Jets for a third-and fifth-round pick. Vikings wide receiver Troy Williamson will go to the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick. Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers and Jaguars defensive tackle Marcus Stroud are also on the trading block and deals could move quickly involving them.

Back
Top Bottom