?

• Total voters
Dolphins News For 2006!!

Posted on Sun, Dec. 18, 2005

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

Free agents: QBs weak, defense strong

BY BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@herald.com

The list of impending NFL free agents is out, and there's mixed news for the Dolphins, who will have more than $10 million in cap space, and potentially as much as $25 million. Though Miami should be able to upgrade on defense, particularly the secondary, it shouldn't expect to acquire long-term answers at left tackle or quarterback through free agency. Some thoughts:

• Assuming San Diego keeps Drew Brees and Houston picks up David Carr's option (as expected), that would leave Arizona's Josh McCown and Kurt Warner, Cincinnati's Jon Kitna and Detroit's Jeff Garcia as the best of a weak free agent group. None of those four is clearly better than Gus Frerotte, who's signed through 2006. Possible releases include Tampa Bay's Brian Griese, Oakland's Kerry Collins and New Orleans' Aaron Brooks.

• Upgrading over Damion McIntosh at left tackle will be difficult before the draft. The free agent list is lousy, with the best options being Detroit's Jeff Backus, Philadelphia's Jon Runyan and Denver's Matt Lepsis.

• Looking to upgrade over Sam Madison and Reggie Howard at cornerback, the Dolphins will study a free agent list, including Oakland's Charles Woodson, Chicago's Jerry Azumah, the Giants' Will Allen, Minnesota's Brian Williams and Buffalo's Nate Clements.

There are several good safeties available, such as Minnesota strong safety Corey Chavous. There's likely a need to improve over Travares Tillman and injured Tebucky Jones at strong safety, but Miami will be fine at free safety if Lance Schulters re-signs.

• Figure on Miami signing at least one veteran linebacker to replace Junior Seau. A deep list includes San Francisco's Julian Peterson and Carolina's Will Witherspoon.

• With the emergence of Chris Chambers -- who's signed through 2009 -- there's no need to overpay for a free agent like Indy's Reggie Wayne. ESPN's Chris Mortensen predicts Terrell Owens will be a Dolphin next season but said off-air he has no inside information to support that. A friend of Owens tells us Miami appeals to him.

Several big-name receivers past their prime -- including Buffalo's Eric Moulds, St. Louis' Isaac Bruce and Jacksonville's Jimmy Smith -- could be cap casualties, and would be worth a look at the right price.

Posted on Sun, Dec. 18, 2005

Around the NFL | Law likely to become free agent

BY JASON COLE

jcole@herald.com

New York Jets CB Ty Law has made a nice return after his injury-marred 2004, leading the Jets with six interceptions. But don't expect Law to be with the Jets much longer.

He has an $11 million bonus due in March. While the Jets would like to rework the contract and keep him, Law is of the belief that he can do much better in free agency, even though he's 31 and is still somewhat hobbled by a sore foot.

Law is also hoping the Dolphins come calling because he has a house in nearby Plantation. He had hoped during the offseason that the Dolphins would sign him, but the team showed only minimal interest.

DOLPHINS MIGHT SEEK SAINTS QB BROOKS

If this does end up being the end of the line for QB Aaron Brooks in New Orleans (Brooks was benched this week), don't be surprised if the Dolphins take a look.

Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller was the person who traded for Brooks when he was in New Orleans, essentially sending a third-round pick to Green Bay for Brooks. Mueller was gone by the time the Saints signed Brooks to a six-year contract during the 2002 season.

That's when things went bad for Brooks with the Saints. Coach Jim Haslett stopped disciplining Brooks, who developed a number of bad habits. Most of all, Brooks gives up too much ground on sacks. Still, Brooks is a terrific athlete who has the capacity to learn.
• Ricky's future: Should the Dolphins trade Ricky Williams or keep him? Our inclination is the latter. He has proved he is still a top back. He is in his physical prime. And the tandem-ing with Ronnie Brown has served the team well.

Of course, Miami should be receptive to an offer it cannot refuse. That would include another team being dumb, er, I mean desperate enough to dangle a first-round pick, even a low-first. That would also include packaging Williams in a trade-up for a shot at Matt Leinart. Or including him in a deal for an established QB who might be available, such as (if rumors are true) Minnesota's Daunte ''Love Boat'' Culpepper.

Barring that, keep him. Ricky has proved he is worth more to Miami than a second-round pick and a bag of chick peas.

I'd love to have Law. Brooks, maybe, still not sure if he's really more productive than Gus. T.O., no, I don't want the headaches.

Brooks could be worth a look (though IMO we oughta just draft someone and give Sage a chance to run the team), but i DO NOT want T.O. under any circumstances. The guy can play, but IMO a selfish, spoiled attitude like his is one of the worst things about professional sports. I want him nowhere near our team. Law would be nice, though...cutting Madison and picking up Law would upgrade our CB spot (tho I hate to diss old Sammy, he's been real good for us for a long time).

finsmx said:
exactly my thoughts :yes:

he chose the jets over us and now that he realize they suck badly, he wants to be here, screw you law

He chose the money not the Jets. We did not want to pay him the money he wanted and I guess we were idiots for not doing it also. We could be in a better position if we gave him the money but I rather keep Surtain if your going to

dominizzo said:
Bump i do not want Owens

Same here. All he would do is become a big distraction to the rest of the team. We do not need that. Saban wouldn't put up with it his antics either. I vote N-O for T.O.

Joneal7 said:
ill take Aaron Brooks and TO
I'll take them too....as far away from Miami as I can... :sidelol:

Ozzy rules!!

Go Italy 2006 world cup

Law would be nice, though...cutting Madison and picking up Law would upgrade our CB spot (tho I hate to diss old Sammy, he's been real good for us for a long time).

Why would you cut Madison if we sign Law? Having them both would be like reuniting Madison & Surtain. Certainly you don't think Poole, Daniels, or Howard are better.

WestVirginiaFan said:
Do you personally know saban?
Do you call him at night while watching lifetime?
Do you two take long walks on the beach to discuss who he will pick in the next years draft
Do you go to the gap and tell each other that the cotton sweater makes him look fat?

:sidelol:

Seriously. I think Saban would actually be open about having TO. Look at david boston and ricky williams. I know Ricky Williams is the COMPLETE opposite of Terrell owens, but the one thing they DO have in common is they are "sketchy", and some coaches wouldnt want him, period. David Boston is ALOT like TO. He got suspended for conduct problems in SD.

That being said, He signed a 1 year contract for the vets minimum. Imo TO has a chance of going to Miami. Saban has showed he is not against bringing players in with questionable character. However, he has also shown he is the boss, and TO is not. He will not get a multi year contract. He will get a 1-2 year deal and will not be the starter. I am ready for the offseason though. :) I am getting chills just thinking about it.

What do you think the chances of Sage breaking through for the 06 season is? Isnt the only reason Saban went with Gus was his knowlege of the offense? Sage has shown he can throw, scramble, and be pretty accurate. I know all of you are going to mention the Cleveland game. Most QB's have problems when the line cant pretect. Call me ******ed, but I like Sage.

Does anyone here listen to Sabans PRs or read his columns? He wants a home grown team- one that is built through the draft with HIS players that he can develop and mold. Saban is trying to establish an "identity" and a certain chemistry for the Dolphins, and none of the FAs mentioned in this thread will be able to fit into that as fast as drafted players who learn first from Saban. All of the free agents listed in this thready will not be Dolphins- and I would bet any amount of money on that. Saban and Mueller will chase some free agents, but they will not go after the big guys who eat up tons of cap space and wont be around for the long term.

To all the Culpepper fans- The guy tore 3 ligaments in his knee and wont even be able to practice until a month into the next season. Brad Johnson will most likely be starting opening day next year. No GM or coach would give up anything for Dante.

Back
Top Bottom