Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 103 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Well now that it looks pretty good that Harrington will end up a Dolphin I think it bears looking into this kids situation a little.

He was a highly touted 1st round selection at QB that has clearly had some troubles living up to expectations.

I'd be interested to hear any input from Boom or Parrot as to what exactly Harrington's problems have been adjusting to the NFL game and if either of you feel he could improve himself with this change of scenery.

Regardless, I'll be happy to have him here.

He may be forever mediocre but considering our only other options for a starting QB if Culpepper does not return in time were Maddox or Lemon, bringing him in is a good move.

Boom or Parrot, any thoughts on Harrington?

FinFan57 said:
Boom

I see a post in the main forum that indicates Denver traded away their 2nd 1st round pick. That does make things a bit interesting. It would appear that Holmes or Jackson may drop into our lap.

How do you think the Denver trade may affect us?

Well if John Clayton is to be believed, he feels that Santonio Holmes is the guy they want. But Ashley Lelie apparently wants out of Denver, which would probably mean that Jackson is the better pick because I don't see Santonio as a number 1, more a superb number 2, or a 1 and a half if you will. But then Denver are really close to the Big Kahuna and Holmes will be more likely to help them achieve that in 06/7 IMO.

Motion said:
I've heard from multiple places they are looking DT.

They could look at a TB, they could add a receiver, they could look at RT, they could add a DT, a young FS or a LB. Winston Justice is seemingly the player they covet most and Andy Reid will be aggressive in getting up to get him.

FrostyFinFan said:
CK or Simon,

The latest news indicates that it is likely that we acquire Harrington from the Lions. What's your take on him, considering the Lion offense was very different than Miami's. Also, PFW rumors say that a Ricky to Denver for a second or third round pick wouldn't be surprising, assuming of course that he wins the appeal. Is that a bunch of bunk, or do you think Denver is willing to take a gamble. They clearly did with Clarett, which backfired in a major way. Thanks again to both of you for your patience and willingness to share some of your knowledge with us. Oh, one last thing... if we do get Harrington before the draft, do you think Saban still takes a 7th round chance on Holland from Colorado St?

I think Harrington has struggled obviously. He flashes ability at times, but it's hard once you feel that the fans and the front office aren't behind you. But then if he'd have played better, then they would have been behind him. The Lions offense WAS different, but I've often thought that Harrington looks much less a West Coast QB than most people. I think our sort of attack will suit his game. He has the arm to get the ball down the field and it's not based so much on those pure elements of timing that Bill Walsh's system and all the *******isations of it were. I think considering the available options, he was a solid choice and he gives us great depth.

As for Ricky, well personally if he wins, I hope that he stays a Miami Dolphin. A 2nd round IMHO isn't value for a player who offers so much. I think of course it's possible, especially WITHOUT a 2nd round pick. I would just be disappointed to give one our main rivals in the AFC one of the best backs in all of football. I certainly think Denver would be willing to gamble. Williams is too good not to grab for a 2nd round pick. He would more than likely put them over the top. They won't have had a back as good since Terrell Davis.

As for Justin Holland, he's certainly someone we've been paying a LOT of attention to. But with Harrington, Culpepper, Berlin and Lemon, I'm not sure where Holland fits, unless they get rid of Lemon (I think Berlin is done too) and Justin sits behind the 2 veterans.

Thanks for the commemts.
Boom.

Motion said:
I've heard from multiple places they are looking DT.
there are tons of rumors out there so maybe I'm wrong but they need another good WR although they also need a DT.

Boomer,
What do you think about Jon Alston in the third. Not as a LB but a SS. 6' 1" - 223lbs 4.4 -4.5 speed. He has played some safety before and they say he is very quick and good in coverage. We need some size at the safety pos. I'm sure he could come in and play sp. teams until he learned the system. He is from Stanford. It seems that after the top 3-4 safeties are off the board, the rest of the pack run in the 4.6 - 4.7 40 range. This guy is smart, fast and big. I have read a couple of bio's on him and there are very few negatives. Just wondering if you had an opinion on him thanks.

Boomer said:
I think Harrington has struggled obviously. He flashes ability at times, but it's hard once you feel that the fans and the front office aren't behind you. But then if he'd have played better, then they would have been behind him. The Lions offense WAS different, but I've often thought that Harrington looks much less a West Coast QB than most people. I think our sort of attack will suit his game. He has the arm to get the ball down the field and it's not based so much on those pure elements of timing that Bill Walsh's system and all the *******isations of it were. I think considering the available options, he was a solid choice and he gives us great depth.

As for Ricky, well personally if he wins, I hope that he stays a Miami Dolphin. A 2nd round IMHO isn't value for a player who offers so much. I think of course it's possible, especially WITHOUT a 2nd round pick. I would just be disappointed to give one our main rivals in the AFC one of the best backs in all of football. I certainly think Denver would be willing to gamble. Williams is too good not to grab for a 2nd round pick. He would more than likely put them over the top. They won't have had a back as good since Terrell Davis.

As for Justin Holland, he's certainly someone we've been paying a LOT of attention to. But with Harrington, Culpepper, Berlin and Lemon, I'm not sure where Holland fits, unless they get rid of Lemon (I think Berlin is done too) and Justin sits behind the 2 veterans.

Thanks for the commemts.
Boom.

Hey boom!

I do not agree with the way Harrington played for detroit, yes he struggled at times but he showed a lot of poise and posted some decent numbers in 2k4 last year his confidence was shaken. Harrington gave them the best chance to win. Their lack of offensive line play and running game certainly did not help him. And why in the world would they draft 3 WR in the top 15 3 years in a row? a Lineman would of helped a complete Tight end wouldof helped and production from charles rodgers would of helped.

nick1 said:
there are tons of rumors out there so maybe I'm wrong but they need another good WR although they also need a DT.

I do not agree with you! I thnk at this point a WR in the first is not the right pick! let's nab one later. we need someone to come in and be a starter on defense not someone who will be 3rd or 4th receiver and will take 2 years to become a player! A safety maybe Mike huff or whitner may also be the pick

if available I see us getting Haloti Ngata, brunkley, jimmy williams, one of the LB's either greenway, lawson or sims. I think if we got with a WR on this pick it will be because all of those players are gone!

Bradical said:
Boom or Ck,

My question is about Jimmy Williams. He seems to me to be a very good safety prospect with his size/speed/hitting combination. What do you guys think of his potential at safety for the Dolphins?

Also I think I saw something about his getting himself in trouble with his mouth or just plain being messed up in the head(I think I read emotionally unstable). What's the story with that?

thanks

Hi mate. I wrote out a long and informed post earlier on and then my laptop crashed. I think he's one of 3 X-factors in the draft, along with Young and Claude Wroten. He was considered a top 5-7 pick coming into the year but really didn't perform up to the ability of a super blue chipper. He allowed players to make catches on him, he was lazy, he took risks which didn't come off and he tried for the killshot too often.

I did quite a lot of research into his background and found a kid that was very ****y and immature, but who, according to those around him was becoming a team leader and growing up. But that wasn't much in evidence last year and his career culminated with him getting thrown out of the Bowl game.

At the combine he apparently irritated people with his attitude and whilst we will never be privvy to who said he was emotionally unstable and why they said it, there have been multiple sources behind his vague demeanour and inability to deconstruct his mediocre 2005 form. The irritation levels rose when he decided to not work out and then throw down a rather average pro day which really didn't show great athleticism.

And of course the question remains as to what his best position is. Is he a corner (I think not) or a safety? I think he will definitely be a strong prospect at 16 because he has 3 years of big game experience under his belt, but he needs to show improvement in all areas if he's to become the sort of player that we thought he might 18 months ago.

Dolfan2788 said:
Do you think his production will go up if he is traded?(Lelie)

Over the past few years I've just thought he's been a prospect that got overhyped because of good size and good measurables before the draft. I just don't think he's the kind of player that will succeed in the NFL on his 2nd team, I mean the Broncos are a fairly good team with a good QB, great running game and a defense that can get the opposing O off the field...

You can make similarities between him and Chad Jackson. He played in an offense that accentuated his talents (June Jones' fun and gun) in that Timmy Chang would take a 7 step drop and gun it down the field to him, the fastest player on the field (in Jackson's case, he caught a lot of passes in the Meyer attack, which rather inflated his stock as they were mainly underneath, dink and dunk stuff. Then he burst off the great 40 time (like Jackson) and boom. He's struggled with the short balls, with consistency and with his hamstrings, as well as the physical nature of the game.

Like you, I think he's maxed out his potential. He either improves with the Horses or he falls away as I don't think he is going to improve anywhere else.

blakeypremer said:
I hear Bunkley or Ngata, one of them will be there at 16, if say santionio holmes is there also who do you take?

To be honest, I'll be very surprised if either is there. There are some rumours that Green Bay and San Francisco like Ngata early, he could go to Oakland at 7, Buffalo at 8, Cleveland, Baltimore or even Philly. Bunkley could go at 7 to the Raiders, 8 to Buffalo, 9 next to Shaun Rodgers in Detroit, 11 to St Louis, 12 to Cleveland as an end, etc.

If Bunkley or Ngata and Holmes are there, then you take the DT.

Trekbiz said:
Well now that it looks pretty good that Harrington will end up a Dolphin I think it bears looking into this kids situation a little.

He was a highly touted 1st round selection at QB that has clearly had some troubles living up to expectations.

I'd be interested to hear any input from Boom or Parrot as to what exactly Harrington's problems have been adjusting to the NFL game and if either of you feel he could improve himself with this change of scenery.

Regardless, I'll be happy to have him here.

He may be forever mediocre but considering our only other options for a starting QB if Culpepper does not return in time were Maddox or Lemon, bringing him in is a good move.

Boom or Parrot, any thoughts on Harrington?

See post 1534 mate. ;)

duss12 said:
I do not agree with you! I thnk at this point a WR in the first is not the right pick! let's nab one later. we need someone to come in and be a starter on defense not someone who will be 3rd or 4th receiver and will take 2 years to become a player! A safety maybe Mike huff or whitner may also be the pick

if available I see us getting Haloti Ngata, brunkley, jimmy williams, one of the LB's either greenway, lawson or sims. I think if we got with a WR on this pick it will be because all of those players are gone!

He was referring to Philly.

Boomer said:
To be honest, I'll be very surprised if either is there. There are some rumours that Green Bay and San Francisco like Ngata early, he could go to Oakland at 7, Buffalo at 8, Cleveland, Baltimore or even Philly. Bunkley could go at 7 to the Raiders, 8 to Buffalo, 9 next to Shaun Rodgers in Detroit, 11 to St Louis, 12 to Cleveland as an end, etc.

If Bunkley or Ngata and Holmes are there, then you take the DT.

arent bunkley and ngata DT's???? could be wrong boom but i thought so. I personally would want Bunkley....The man is a beast

Hey Boom,

I hate the Seminoles but I love their big 3 this year with Bunkley Sims and Cromartie....I would be ecstatic if we can get Sims in the 1st and a guy like Wroten in the 3rd. My question: Out of those 3 guys who would you want to see in a Fins Uni and why???? And do you think Wroten will be available in the 3rd???? I read an article on him and even though he's had some off field issues...the guy has a world of talent....

Back
Top Bottom