Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 106 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Boomer,

Thank you for providing such fantastic insights and information. I'm curious
as to your opinion of the following players:

Jonathan Orr, WR Wisconsin
Rob Ninkovich, OLB/DE Purdue
Troy Bergeron, WR
Anthony Montgomery, DT Minnesota
Jon Scott, OT Texas
Kevin Boothe, OT/OG Cornell

jim1 said:
Boomer,

Thank you for providing such fantastic insights and information. I'm curious
as to your opinion of the following players:

Jonathan Orr, WR Wisconsin
Rob Ninkovich, OLB/DE Purdue
Troy Bergeron, WR
Anthony Montgomery, DT Minnesota
Jon Scott, OT Texas
Kevin Boothe, OT/OG Cornell

No worries Jim.

Orr has great physical tools but has never put it together consistently. He could blow up in the NFL or just disappear. A kind of boom or bust type, who wishes he had his body and tools and his teammate Brandon Williams's hands and route running ability. Ninkovich is an overachiever, tough, gritty, gets great leverage, but I don't see much of an NFL future - he's undersized for a conventional DE and with 4.9 speed, he's not going to be an OLB in a 3-4. I've never seen Bergeron play, so don't feel I can contribute an opinion, other than from looking at his notes, he was a star in the Arena League but having never played a snap of college ball, he's so raw it's not true. Montgomery has great physical tools and real developmental upside, but he struggles at the point with strength and he needs a lot of work. Scott I'm not a fan of. He's one of the more overrated prospects to my mind. He has poor mechanics, a body leaner, a wait bender who lunges and loses his feet under him. And I haven't seen Boothe, but Mel Kiper is very high on him. Upside looks huge if he can make the transition from big fish in small pond.

The Cromartie comparison to Deion Sanders was made by Mickey Andrews. I won't be so bold. But the ceiling is huge. I mean huge. Great talent, hugely athletic, great hips, playmaker, aggressive going for the ball, plays the run, very quick, great instincts and anticipation. He's high risk/high reward but I think it's worth it. The injury issues - torn ACL, MCL and torn hamstring - are a concern for sure and he won't contribute much in 2006, but he can be anything you want to be if he 'trains on'.

Ok, Cromartie is now officially my favorite player likely to be available in this draft. Image what he'll become with Saban's coaching. April 29th can't come soon enough.

Manny Lawson!... isn't Cromartie's injury history a big concern? you tear your ACL and your likely to reinjure it

is A.J. Nicholson worth a look at? and where do you see him going if someone does draft him?

nick1 said:
Manny Lawson!... isn't Cromartie's injury history a big concern? you tear your ACL and your likely to reinjure it

Yes and no. As far as I know tearing an ACL doesn't really mean you're likely to tear it again, but sometimes an athlete develops a habit of favoring that knee. This makes it more likely that they'll hurt the other knee. Still, the injury is the reason we're even talking about drafting him. Otherwise he might be going in the top 5. I'd take the risk on a guy with that much upside.

is A.J. Nicholson worth a look at? and where do you see him going if someone does draft him?

Ugh, I'd rather stay away from guys who might be serving time soon for rape.

I've torn both of my ACL's. Both surgeries were performed by orthopaedists
that were also NFL team doctors (Dolphins and Colts). The feedback that I
got is that, with time, the repaired ligaments are actually supposed to be stronger than the original ones. As to the psychology of it, I would imagine that any time you play scared, bad things seem to happen.

nick1 said:

I don't think you can go wrong with either player. Manny is a very bright (28 on the wonderlic) player especially for a DE/OLB type and exceptionally athletic. And when I say exceptionally, I mean Matt Jones exceptional. Manny is one of those guys that does not come around that often that really pushes the envelope of what can and cannot be done at what size. It use to be that you never saw a guy 6'4" or above run a low 4.4 in the 40. Jones ran the 4.37 at 6062 and 242 pounds. I said it then, and it is as true today as it was then, that the NFL has never seen a size/speed combination like that of Matt Jones. He was the first. Well, now Manny Lawson comes along and at 6053 and 241 pounds he runs a 4.43. Obviously not QUITE the same as Matt Jones, inch shorter, pound lighter, 0.06 slower, but it stands.

Now on the one hand Manny plays DE, where Matt plays WR. A lot of people kept chanting "mike mamula" when they talked about Matt Jones, but what they failed to note was that Mamula played a position where strength is just as important as athletic ability...and in terms of size and strength Mr. Mamula left something to be desired. Jones plays WR, where your ability to move and catch the ball are the keys. Jones displayed some raw natural catching skills when he worked out. The bad thing for Manny is he DOES play DE, just like Mike Mamula. If Manny can't cut it in the strength department he's destined to be a part timer, situational pass rusher. But I tend to believe he can cut it in the strength department, as he's often cited for his physical strength especially upper body...and most especially he has the long arms which give him the potential to keep tackles away from his body.

The advantage Manny does have over Matt is that where Matt is being asked to play a position he's not played before, Manny has been a DE and an OLB. He's had extensive coverage experience even after he made the move to DE.

As for Cromartie...I don't think the same knee will be a problem, and I don't think he's at that high a risk for re-injuring it. Usually what you have to worry about with something like that is other injuries, because of overcompensation. For that, we'd just have to see.

Hey Boom

I've changed my board lately about as often as you have changed your daughter's diapers. I'm having a real hard time getting a grip...probably because we have so few picks.

I believe Arrington will not sign with us and we are done until the draft. That said, I think Bobby Carpenter may be my pick in the first. He seems to have the size, speed, attitude, and intangibles that Saban may look for.

Your take on Carpenter?

Hey guys...I've been trying to keep up so sorry if this question has been asked (or anything similar). I keep going back and forth as to who I would like Miami tp pick. Donte Whitner or Manny Lawson, Manny Lawson or Donte Whitner? I think believe Miami's secondary needs a true leader (a QB if you will) and Whitner seems to be just that. He reads and reacts well, tackles well, studies and works as hard as anyone. He reminds me alot of Ed Reed. So i'm kinda leaning towards Whitner with the first pick. I also think that Miami needs a pass rushing LB, and Lawson would fill that need. But trying to follow the draft as well as I can, I just dont see much talent available in the third round range at OLB. I see more talent at safety in the third. So I thwn talk myself into wanting Lawson at 16. With all that being said,at both Safety and OLB, who are some of the names to look for in the third and what position do you think has the most value in the middle rounds???

nick1 said:
I pretty sure thats not true. I've tore up my LCL and my doctor told me that it would be almost imposible to tear the ligament in the same place. My LCL is actually stronger now than it was before. The problem is people somtimes play scared or tentitivly, leaving themselves vulnerable to injuries. Once you get over the mental part you usually okay. Getting over the mental aspect of some injuries is a lot of the times the hardest part of your rehab.

ckparrothead said:
I don't think you can go wrong with either player. Manny is a very bright (28 on the wonderlic) player especially for a DE/OLB type and exceptionally athletic. And when I say exceptionally, I mean Matt Jones exceptional. Manny is one of those guys that does not come around that often that really pushes the envelope of what can and cannot be done at what size. It use to be that you never saw a guy 6'4" or above run a low 4.4 in the 40. Jones ran the 4.37 at 6062 and 242 pounds. I said it then, and it is as true today as it was then, that the NFL has never seen a size/speed combination like that of Matt Jones. He was the first. Well, now Manny Lawson comes along and at 6053 and 241 pounds he runs a 4.43. Obviously not QUITE the same as Matt Jones, inch shorter, pound lighter, 0.06 slower, but it stands.

Now on the one hand Manny plays DE, where Matt plays WR. A lot of people kept chanting "mike mamula" when they talked about Matt Jones, but what they failed to note was that Mamula played a position where strength is just as important as athletic ability...and in terms of size and strength Mr. Mamula left something to be desired. Jones plays WR, where your ability to move and catch the ball are the keys. Jones displayed some raw natural catching skills when he worked out. The bad thing for Manny is he DOES play DE, just like Mike Mamula. If Manny can't cut it in the strength department he's destined to be a part timer, situational pass rusher. But I tend to believe he can cut it in the strength department, as he's often cited for his physical strength especially upper body...and most especially he has the long arms which give him the potential to keep tackles away from his body.

The advantage Manny does have over Matt is that where Matt is being asked to play a position he's not played before, Manny has been a DE and an OLB. He's had extensive coverage experience even after he made the move to DE.

As for Cromartie...I don't think the same knee will be a problem, and I don't think he's at that high a risk for re-injuring it. Usually what you have to worry about with something like that is other injuries, because of overcompensation. For that, we'd just have to see.

LETs DRAFT THIS BEAST of a player...after what you said how can we pass on him....hey CK is he the BPA at # 16...and if he is how intersted is Saban in drafting him?....let say Saban has a List of top 5 players to draft @ 16...where would Manny be on that list? once again LETS DRAFT MANNY LAWSON!!!

nick1 said:

I don't see the correlation. If that's the case, then we should remove Chad Greenway, Broderick Bunkley, etc from our draft boards, because they've torn ACL's as well.

Back
Top Bottom