Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 107 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

tucker said:
is A.J. Nicholson worth a look at? and where do you see him going if someone does draft him?

His off-field issues have people concerned, as does his timed speed, but I think he has a shot. Likely to go on day 2.

FinFan57 said:
Hey Boom

I've changed my board lately about as often as you have changed your daughter's diapers. I'm having a real hard time getting a grip...probably because we have so few picks.

I believe Arrington will not sign with us and we are done until the draft. That said, I think Bobby Carpenter may be my pick in the first. He seems to have the size, speed, attitude, and intangibles that Saban may look for.

Your take on Carpenter?

Hey mate. Yep it's hard to get a handle for sure. I think the Arrington decision to go to the G-men focuses us more on LB, unless Coach feels we can get by with a combination of Donnie Spragan and Sedrick Hodge, which is certainly possible. After all, both are starters in this league and Donnie started on arguably the best linebacking corps in football in Denver.

I like Carpenter, especially of he's fit off the ankle injury. There have been some late off field issues with him, which seemed to have recently surfaced, but I don't think it'll affect his stock. Just a good football player who can play in or out. He's tough, he can pursue really well, he's a good pass rusher and he plays with high energy. Some concerns over why he played with his hand on the ground rather than dropping into coverage as a senior, but he's a solid performer. Personally I don't think his future is in Miami.

J Tes said:
Hey guys...I've been trying to keep up so sorry if this question has been asked (or anything similar). I keep going back and forth as to who I would like Miami tp pick. Donte Whitner or Manny Lawson, Manny Lawson or Donte Whitner? I think believe Miami's secondary needs a true leader (a QB if you will) and Whitner seems to be just that. He reads and reacts well, tackles well, studies and works as hard as anyone. He reminds me alot of Ed Reed. So i'm kinda leaning towards Whitner with the first pick. I also think that Miami needs a pass rushing LB, and Lawson would fill that need. But trying to follow the draft as well as I can, I just dont see much talent available in the third round range at OLB. I see more talent at safety in the third. So I thwn talk myself into wanting Lawson at 16. With all that being said,at both Safety and OLB, who are some of the names to look for in the third and what position do you think has the most value in the middle rounds???

Safety has the best value. Manning, Roman Harper, Pat Watkins, Bernard Pollard, Greg Blue, Nate Salley, Dawan Landry, Jarrad Page, Jamile Addae, Reed Doughty, Scott Ware, Dwayne Slay, etc. Manning is a guy from a small school who we've had in and can play both corner and safety. Watkins is an athlete, big kid, lots of upside. Pollard I like a lot as an in the box safety, big hitter, needs some coverage work, Doughty is interesting - great in coverage, good size.

Boomer said:
His off-field issues have people concerned, as does his timed speed, but I think he has a shot. Likely to go on day 2.

I definately understand the off field issues hurting him, but timed speed will be the least of his worries and I am so sick of teams and scouts drooling over people based on thier 40 time. Now if he had ran a 4.5 40 his off field issues seem less magically.

Surtain considered too slow for a corner turned out pretty good. 4.7 40
Emmit Smith ran a 4.7 at the combine, which if he did it in a recent draft would probably push in out of the first round. I bet the Jets that took Blair Thomas with his 4.45 wish they had never looked at a player's 40.
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 at combine.

Hell I really love when guys run a 4.5 and are bashed as not being fast enough.

That being said he is probably a touch slower than Wimberly and would be a lock as a second round selection if not for his character issues.

I hope your right on the day 2 selection, hopefully to us in the fourth. I think the combine has made drafting a guy no more of a sure thing just alot more reasons to make the wrong selection. Hopefully Saban is studying film on his laptop and not 40 times lol.

dlockz said:
I definately understand the off field issues hurting him, but timed speed will be the least of his worries and I am so sick of teams and scouts drooling over people based on thier 40 time. Now if he had ran a 4.5 40 his off field issues seem less magically.

Surtain considered too slow for a corner turned out pretty good. 4.7 40
Emmit Smith ran a 4.7 at the combine, which if he did it in a recent draft would probably push in out of the first round. I bet the Jets that took Blair Thomas with his 4.45 wish they had never looked at a player's 40.
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 at combine.

Hell I really love when guys run a 4.5 and are bashed as not being fast enough.

That being said he is probably a touch slower than Wimberly and would be a lock as a second round selection if not for his character issues.

I hope your right on the day 2 selection, hopefully to us in the fourth. I think the combine has made drafting a guy no more of a sure thing just alot more reasons to make the wrong selection. Hopefully Saban is studying film on his laptop and not 40 times lol.

Well, those off field issues would include the alleged rape, a torn MCL and two arrests for alcohol related incidents, so we're not talking a boy scout here. The speed is an issue if you're asking a MLB who plays high and gets engulfed at the point, to get outside to the perimeter and make plays. So if he's a 4.8 'backer, then that to me is an issue. It is what it is. If he works through trash with no issues, then great, but whilst he's instinctive, he needs to get off blocks and when he's being held up initially, the play will be past him.

Hey Boomer, Whats your thought's on Miles Austin the kid from Monmouth? His level of competion was extremely low, but he seems to have great measurables, and i've heard he runs great routes.

Boomer said:
I don't see the correlation. If that's the case, then we should remove Chad Greenway, Broderick Bunkley, etc from our draft boards, because they've torn ACL's as well.
I know thats a big concern with Willis McGahee and I've heard that he most likely will tear the knee again. thats also a huge concern with Frank Gore. he tore both ACL's

nick1 said:
I know thats a big concern with Willis McGahee and I've heard that he most likely will tear the knee again. thats also a huge concern with Frank Gore. he tore both ACL's

So did Channing Crowder....

phinphan11 said:
So did Channing Crowder....
I was just trying to get opinions on torn ACLs and what the chances of them reoccuring are

Boomer, which LB's could you see Saban taking @ 16? The only LB's that I can think of being worthy of a 1st that we can get is Ernie Simms, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Bobby Carpenter, DeMeco Ryans and Kamerion Wimbley. Also which of those LB's could you see fit in well in Saban's defense?

nick1 said:

That's a fallacy mate. I'm typing right now rehabbing an MCL tear and the ligament is actually stronger after the operation.

J Tes said:
Hey Boomer, Whats your thought's on Miles Austin the kid from Monmouth? His level of competion was extremely low, but he seems to have great measurables, and i've heard he runs great routes.

To be honest J, I haven't seen Monmouth play. He strikes me as a decent number three from what I know of him, but he'll need to improve strength wise and blocking wise.

Ace88 said:
Boomer, which LB's could you see Saban taking @ 16? The only LB's that I can think of being worthy of a 1st that we can get is Ernie Simms, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Bobby Carpenter, DeMeco Ryans and Kamerion Wimbley. Also which of those LB's could you see fit in well in Saban's defense?

I think you Aced them mate. They would all fit well. Sims is probably more of a WLB and Carpenter maybe projects inside more than the rest. I personally love Ryans, but they would all fit. Greenway is probably the best fit overall.

Boomer said:
Well, those off field issues would include the alleged rape, a torn MCL and two arrests for alcohol related incidents, so we're not talking a boy scout here. The speed is an issue if you're asking a MLB who plays high and gets engulfed at the point, to get outside to the perimeter and make plays. So if he's a 4.8 'backer, then that to me is an issue. It is what it is. If he works through trash with no issues, then great, but whilst he's instinctive, he needs to get off blocks and when he's being held up initially, the play will be past him.

Well he has ran a 4.7 lol not that there is really that much differance, Crowder rand a 4.7 if i'm not mistaken. But like you said the off field issues will be the reason he drops to day 2 if he does.

Back
Top Bottom