merged: Bucs trading up for QB?/Tampa wants to trade up | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged: Bucs trading up for QB?/Tampa wants to trade up

I smell a smokescreen too. Nobody picking before the Bucs has two first round picks, so I doubt it has something to do with that...however.

1. Talking up the QB's benefits a team picking at #5 who likes one of the RBs or WRs, or basically anyone other than the QB's. There's already talk that whichever QB the 49ers do not pick may drop out of the top 5 completely, otherwise known as "Roethlisbergered" If the Bucs talk up the QBs and even throw out some possible trade discussions with Miami or Cleveland (the two obvious choices to negotiate with) then it may convince Miami or Cleveland to take one of those QBs.

2. Talking about possibly trading up to the #2 or #3 pick to grab a QB may induce another team to trade up to do the very same thing, because of the fear that if the Bucs complete the trade, it would ensure that both QB's get taken by the time the #3 pick is done. Tennessee may be a target here, as they've recently been getting a good look at the QB's in preparation of McNair's inevitable departure (and Floyd Reese has publically stated he's of the philosophy that if a franchise QB is available and you dont have one, you take him).

My guess, if I know Gruden, is he's actually trying to help FACILITATE a trade between Miami and someone else, by trying to scare that team into thinking trading with Miami is the only way to get the QB they desire.

My best guess of the object of Gruden's attention? Ronnie Brown. He knows Miami wants to trade down, he knows the current thinking out there is that if Miami does not trade down, they will take Ronnie Brown. He's trying to knock Miami OUT of the top 5 picks, so that Ronnie Brown would fall to Tampa at #5. Ronnie Brown can run like all heck, he can catch better than any back in the draft, he can actually run routes, and he's big. Basically, he's like a bigger Michael Pittman without the off-field issues.

we need to draft a stud for once. i am tired of drafting so low all the time. We should stay at the number two and develope the team around them.

sorry crisis but i disagree..., we are in are building we need a few solid players to build around and thye are available at every position throughout the first round but maybe oline.

yeah i guess u r right but for once i want to hear a big name being drafted, but for the sake of the team it would be better to take the building approach!

we agree on that one - but what's wrong with two studs in round one like caddy and merriman or mike williams and spears.

MIAmobster said:
aagreed, if they were to it would be for a WR, i dont know where the guy thought that the vikes wanted a RB, the have 3 f them and not to point out the ovious but they did lose moss and the need a ig play WR

MIKE Williams, the WR, not Caddy. Should have been more specific I guess, but I thought it very obvious the Vikes need a WR after trading Moss. :D

finfan54 said:
Well, they know we are willing to trade down. And they know that SF is willing to trade down, although I think they want a QB as well, and if Gruden likes both then we have ourselves a deal. Would there 2nd, one third and a couple more late picks do it?

IMO I think it would take their 1st, 2nd, one of their 3rds and a 2nd rounder in '06

KyPhinfan13 said:
IMO I think it would take their 1st, 2nd, one of their 3rds and a 2nd rounder in '06
In reality, I wudn't be suprised if we were just to take their second and a future 2nd or 3rd.

General Tso said:
Looks like there might be an attractive trade down partner if Saban decides to pass on Rodgers/Smith for more pics. Personally I'd stay at #2 and pick Rodgers if he's there, but if not then trading down to #5 would be a great option since we'd still get one of Edwards, Brown, Benson, or Caddy and we'd likely get the Bucs high 2nd rounder (#36) plus another pick later on.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/12/Bucs/Bucs_eye_top_QBs_in_d.shtml

There is too much speculation going round! cant you wait 10 more days to find out what happens?

ckparrothead said:
I smell a smokescreen too. Nobody picking before the Bucs has two first round picks, so I doubt it has something to do with that...however.

1. Talking up the QB's benefits a team picking at #5 who likes one of the RBs or WRs, or basically anyone other than the QB's. There's already talk that whichever QB the 49ers do not pick may drop out of the top 5 completely, otherwise known as "Roethlisbergered" If the Bucs talk up the QBs and even throw out some possible trade discussions with Miami or Cleveland (the two obvious choices to negotiate with) then it may convince Miami or Cleveland to take one of those QBs.

2. Talking about possibly trading up to the #2 or #3 pick to grab a QB may induce another team to trade up to do the very same thing, because of the fear that if the Bucs complete the trade, it would ensure that both QB's get taken by the time the #3 pick is done. Tennessee may be a target here, as they've recently been getting a good look at the QB's in preparation of McNair's inevitable departure (and Floyd Reese has publically stated he's of the philosophy that if a franchise QB is available and you dont have one, you take him).

My guess, if I know Gruden, is he's actually trying to help FACILITATE a trade between Miami and someone else, by trying to scare that team into thinking trading with Miami is the only way to get the QB they desire.

My best guess of the object of Gruden's attention? Ronnie Brown. He knows Miami wants to trade down, he knows the current thinking out there is that if Miami does not trade down, they will take Ronnie Brown. He's trying to knock Miami OUT of the top 5 picks, so that Ronnie Brown would fall to Tampa at #5. Ronnie Brown can run like all heck, he can catch better than any back in the draft, he can actually run routes, and he's big. Basically, he's like a bigger Michael Pittman without the off-field issues.

I am from Tampa and have seen a good bit of Michael Pittman, the man is physically a beast. Big, fast, has a quick step, is a great receiving RB and a good blocking back, the thing he lacks to be a great RB is vision. I have been saying this for a while, thats why Brown scares me. Pittman could be a pro bowler if he saw things going on around when he has the ball, after watching Brown, I feel he is better than Pittman, but shares the same qualities that Pittman has and that scares me a bit at #2.

its true randy mueller said we might move back to 5 with TB on the NFL draft specail on ESPN right now.

General Tso said:
Looks like there might be an attractive trade down partner if Saban decides to pass on Rodgers/Smith for more pics. Personally I'd stay at #2 and pick Rodgers if he's there, but if not then trading down to #5 would be a great option since we'd still get one of Edwards, Brown, Benson, or Caddy and we'd likely get the Bucs high 2nd rounder (#36) plus another pick later on.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/12/Bucs/Bucs_eye_top_QBs_in_d.shtml

Apparently you didn't see the contract that they gave Griese in the offseason or listen to all the talk of how they are hurting at the RB position and WR. These are all just hear say rumors to build anticipation for draft day...

If Miami traded down to five, they might still have all three of the top RB's to select from.

Dredd1050 said:
If Miami traded down to five, they might still have all three of the top RB's to select from.
I think there would be two... Ronnie and Caddy.

Back
Top Bottom