Merged: Charlie Whitehurst | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Charlie Whitehurst

Jnaledu3 said:
No way. Hes an easy first day pick.

Id say hes somewhere between Kyle Orton and Charlie Frye of last year. But he has more talent than both of them, he just has not put it together yet and has not been consistant.

i really doubt it.

He won't go in the first round although he is talented enough to be a 1st day pick. If he has a good combine he will go in the second IMO. He will be a steal, but he seems like a project.

He threw a very difficult pass just maybe a tenth of a second too late, but that was an impressive run.

He missed a wide open tight end in the middle of the end zone on that incompletion in the endzone.

Question to CK/LT... How do you rate Whitehurst, which round likely drafted, fit our system, drawbacks, anything else relavent. Iknow you guys get overwhelmed with this stuff, but any thoughts would be appreciated by all.

Jaj said:
Wide open? What?

I have Tivo. :D

his other tight end was waving at him and Whitehurst didn't see it. BTW the announcer pointed that out too. It was almost a TD anyways so I can't argue with that.

I guess, he is pretty capable moving around though I must say that.

mbsinmisc said:
Question to CK/LT... How do you rate Whitehurst, which round likely drafted, fit our system, drawbacks, anything else relavent. Iknow you guys get overwhelmed with this stuff, but any thoughts would be appreciated by all.

Someone mentioned Bruce Gradkowski earlier. Bruce is a nice quarterback and will probably do very well in the league at some point, but he's a bad fit for the offense the Dolphins run. As with any position, the Dolphins have critical factors they look at relative to the quarterback position. One of the things that stands out as a critical factor is a strong arm. Gradkowski doesn't really have a downfield passing attack type of arm. I think he will fit in very well with a team that runs a west coast style though.

Now, Charlie Whitehurst has at least three of the critical factors that the Dolphins are looking at. He's got the size they want, the arm strength, and the mobility. The question about Whitehurst has always been whether or not it will finally click with him. I think he's potentially a great fit for the Dolphins offense. The only quarterback that would probably be a better fit is Jay Cutler.

KB21 said:
Someone mentioned Bruce Gradkowski earlier. Bruce is a nice quarterback and will probably do very well in the league at some point, but he's a bad fit for the offense the Dolphins run. As with any position, the Dolphins have critical factors they look at relative to the quarterback position. One of the things that stands out as a critical factor is a strong arm. Gradkowski doesn't really have a downfield passing attack type of arm. I think he will fit in very well with a team that runs a west coast style though.

Now, Charlie Whitehurst has at least three of the critical factors that the Dolphins are looking at. He's got the size they want, the arm strength, and the mobility. The question about Whitehurst has always been whether or not it will finally click with him. I think he's potentially a great fit for the Dolphins offense. The only quarterback that would probably be a better fit is Jay Cutler.

I think Croyle also could succeed in this offense, but I have one doubt about Cutler. Is he really that accurate downfield? I view him similar to Losman when he came out of college where he had a cannon but couldn't hit perfectly from range.

I was watching Tye Hill in the game tonight, and I wasn't impressed in the least. They weren't throwing his direction, so that may speak to his abilities as a cover guy, but he is flat out afraid to hit anyone.
I don't expect a great tackler at the CB position, but I don't want a guy who's afraid of contact.

ghost of marino said:
I was watching Tye Hill in the game tonight, and I wasn't impressed in the least. They weren't throwing his direction, so that may speak to his abilities as a cover guy, but he is flat out afraid to hit anyone.
I don't expect a great tackler at the CB position, but I don't want a guy who's afraid of contact.

Deion Sanders ;)

Save the flaming but............ He reminds me of Big Ben. Same build and style.

Jaj said:
I think Croyle also could succeed in this offense, but I have one doubt about Cutler. Is he really that accurate downfield? I view him similar to Losman when he came out of college where he had a cannon but couldn't hit perfectly from range.

Croyle has a very good downfield arm, but he isn't very mobile and has some size disadvantages. Now, I'm the last person that would rate mobility high in a quarterback, and I like Croyle overall. I'm not sure the Dolphins will though. I really believe the Dolphins want to find them a big, strong armed, mobile quarterback to run this offense in the future.

Cutler has some mechanical issues to work out that will improve his downfield accuracy. You have to realize that Bobby Johnson, the coach at Vanderbilt, runs an option style of system. Cutler wasn't coached to be a quarterback, but he let his natural quarterback skills take over despite the offense. He will need some coaching, but the guy has a package of skills that reminds a lot of scouts that I've talked to of Brett Favre.

Back
Top Bottom