Merged: Charlie Whitehurst | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Charlie Whitehurst

fishypete said:
Like Kiper is never wrong...tisk..tisk.. Jai...Remember last year how everyone was so hot for Rodgers...many here....but when it came to being real...he dropped like a rock. If people would look with their eyes and not listen with their ears....you wouldn't have so many hyped up players.

Cutler has done nothing more than Croyle, Whitehurst...actually less in many eye's...in the senior bowl. At best in Kipers own words...Cutlers practices have been average....he now say's that Cutlers accuracy is so-so...yet he still states that Cutler is a top ten draft pick....yet he also claims that Croyle was outstanding...very strong arm...very accurate....but he's a 2nd rounder...now anyone with common sense would say....what is he smoking?

Just so people know, I was never hot for Rogers. Never. I trust my instincs more than follow sheep, that doesnt mean i cant be wrong but I go on what i see and then try to sit back and envision life in the NFL for that person.

Caps said:
Spending our second rounder on Whitehurst would be a HUGE reach.
I disagree! I'm all for drafting Cutler if he's there in the first - and I think we should try to make a move up for him if that's a possibility. He didn't play that great, but he's got tons of talent and it's obvious to see.

But if Cutler is gone, Whitehurst is the sleeper of this draft in my opinion. Not that nobody knows about him - I just think he is big-time underrated. I've watched him play about 10 games over the past two seasons and I've been impressed every time.

If we can't get Cutler in one, by all means, draft Whitehurst in the second!! Both could be starters for us at some point next season. Both have played a ton of football at the college level. They're ready to make the move and do this for a living!

DolfanTom said:
I disagree! I'm all for drafting Cutler if he's there in the first - and I think we should try to make a move up for him if that's a possibility. He didn't play that great, but he's got tons of talent and it's obvious to see.

But if Cutler is gone, Whitehurst is the sleeper of this draft in my opinion. Not that nobody knows about him - I just think he is big-time underrated. I've watched him play about 10 games over the past two seasons and I've been impressed every time.

If we can't get Cutler in one, by all means, draft Whitehurst in the second!! Both could be starters for us at some point next season. Both have played a ton of football at the college level. They're ready to make the move and do this for a living!

He's projected as a fourth rounder right now. Just because you think he's worth a second doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a reach to take him in the second.

For example, If you knew that Tom Brady would turn into what he is today, would you draft him in the first round? Hell no! You load up on other players you need in the first few rounds, and then you take him where he's projected. If Saban wants Whitehurst, he can get him in the 4th. Theres no need to pass on other quality players with our second just to draft a QB.

Dolfan_Noles said:
Charlie Whitehurst. I got to see a lot of this guy in the ACC and thought he was excellent. Great arm strength, leadership, intangibles. Good decision maker too. I know that there are about 20 names out there right now, but just wanted to add another to the list.

he not a good decision.Will threw a lot of bad pass .but the kid has the size
I give you that

in the tiger off. Charlie threw a lot of short route ,and screen to those Rb. (merriwether)

Whitehurst sparkles at Senior Bowl

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2005/01/28/bc.fbc.seniorbowl.ap/index.html

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- Charlie Whitehurst and Michael Robinson flashed different skills for the NFL scouts.

Jay Cutler just hopes he convinced them that he belongs among the nation's elite quarterbacks despite an uneven performance in the North's 31-14 victory over the South in the Senior Bowl on Saturday.

The Vanderbilt star was trying to catch Southern California's Matt Leinart and Texas' Vince Young, two All-Americans who didn't play in the showcase game for top senior NFL prospects.

"I belong in the same group with Leinart and Vince Young, up at the top," Cutler said when asked what he proved during the week's practices.........

I still like Cutler. Hopefully this lowers his stock a little. Maybe Whitehurst is a good option too if we dont go QB in rd 1.

Caps said:
He's projected as a fourth rounder right now. Just because you think he's worth a second doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a reach to take him in the second.

For example, If you knew that Tom Brady would turn into what he is today, would you draft him in the first round? Hell no! You load up on other players you need in the first few rounds, and then you take him where he's projected. If Saban wants Whitehurst, he can get him in the 4th. There's no need to pass on other quality players with our second just to draft a QB.
I agree with you that teams shouldn't drastically overreach, but I think it's a recognized staple of NFL drafting wisdom that teams often draft a need position one level higher than a projected round.

For instance, if a particular team desperately needs a DT, and a good one is projected in the 3rd, that particular team may draft him in the second, just to be certain of procurement. But it would still be foolish, as you said, to draft that same player in the 1st, regardless of desperation.

As Saban rightly points out, teams that often reach to fill a desperate need end up regretting the pick.

Whitehurst

Say what you want about Cutler. He's a good player and has massive upside. I would say better than Leinart. But, with all the hype surrounding Cutler and the performance of Whitehurst, I think Whitehurst may be the project we are looking for in the later rounds.

i will be a grandfather before he gets a starting job...he will be a career back-up IMO-he did really well on short throw, he is accurate i will give him that but if he signs with the Dolphins he is not the future of this team

PhinSoldia said:
i will be a grandfather before he gets a starting job...he will be a career back-up IMO-he did really well on short throw, he is accurate i will give him that but if he signs with the Dolphins he is not the future of this team

How can you make such an emphatic (and absurd) statement like that?
By now everyone knows that Brady was a late rd pick and so was Hasslebeck (6th rd). so obviously they weren't that highly regarded and people had doubts about them.
However,I'm sure geniuses like you were on draft chat boards touting both those guys as sleeper picks.

PhinSoldia said:

For whatever its worth... he outplayed BOTH Cutler and Croyle handsdown.

mia4ever said:
you can not overlook his years at clemson

Agreed. You have to look at his entire body of work. He's been way too inconsistant. He has potential, but he shouldn't be touched until the 4th.

Some people develope right at the right time. Aarron Rogers was supposed to be all that, but coaching and systems play alot into things. You also have to go to the right team and these are the things that Saban thinks about as well. I think Croyle is the guy he likes best but I got a funny feeling someone will reach in the second for him. If that happens, I see us getting Whitehurst in the third.

He has the prototype size. If he is coachable, thats half the ball game right there. BTW, Cutler is a wee bit ****y, that is sure to turn some people off.

Back
Top Bottom