MERGED: DETROIT, INDIANA NBA FIGHTS! | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: DETROIT, INDIANA NBA FIGHTS!

MikeO said:
With the NFL that was ONE guy! ONE! Just one!

In the NBA incidents like this pop up every week. Whether its Sprewell, Stoudlimer, Jason Williams, Kobe....etc

And the most talented basketball players in the WORLD aren't in the NBA. Bronze medal......SCOREBOARD!

There are many more incidents in the NFL than Ray Lewis. OJ Simpson? Ray Carruth? There are also many small drug altercations like Ricky Williams and Onterrio Smith.

As for team USA, that's because most of the stars in the league didn't care to play, which IS a problem. Come on now, as much as LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are TEARING up the league this year...those 2, along with Carmelo Anthony had no business on Team USA last year. Richard Jefferson? You gotta be kidding me! The best in the league did not play.

MikeO said:
Same here with me and the Knicks. Once Isiah took over last year I started paying closer attention to the Knicks and the NBA. But really, if its not a Knicks game....I could care less.

I will also watch the Nuggets and Carmelo since I am a Syracuse guy. But if its not one of those two teams on, I could really care less.

David Stern did a HUGE thing today in winning me back. Getting rid of that bum Artest for the season showed me something. Im one small step closer to returning to being an NBA fan on a full time basis.

I like Carmelo he's a class guy, or at least he seems so.

ohall said:
He was a classy guy at Syracuse. If the NBA culture changes him.......hey don't blame that on us! :rolleyes:

ohall said:

You know that Melo just got out of a situation where he was involved with drug charges right? His "friend" apparently left the weed in CARMELO's bags. :shakeno:

X-Con said:
You know that Melo just got out of a situation where he was involved with drug charges right? His "friend" apparently left the weed in CARMELO's bags. :shakeno:
Yep and it was another black eye for the NBA. He got off, but the image is tarnished.

X-Con said:
That's just what I don't understand. Personally, I could care less what the NBA "embraces". All I know is that the most talented basketball players around the globe are in the NBA. And with me being a huge fan of basketball and someone who plays so much, I have to love the game. I don't care about what people proclaim certain players as.

Look at the NFL...you have a player who was on trial for murder a few years ago and eventually winds up as the trademark defensive player for the NFL. :shakeno:

Sports in general has serious issues with this type of thing. Look at the fights that took place a week ago in the NFL and this week in the NCAA. Crazy stuff. I heard one the guys who was involved in the South Carolina fight in the NCAA say it's not like we went into the stands like Artest did. What happened today with us was really nothing. They spent 10 minutes beating each other while totally ignoring the Police that were on the field. Incredible stuff.

I also think the fans in general are less respectful and have a total lack of respect in general to all athletes. There has been a cultural change in this country the last 15-years or so and we as a society have to try and deal with this and make the correction to stop the bleeding so to speak.

MikeO said:
Yep and it was another black eye for the NBA. He got off, but the image is tarnished.

I've always been a Melo fan even though I think he's one of the most overrated young players in the NBA. But Melo really doesn't come off as a classy guy to me. I mean, why lend a weed smoker your bag? Did you lend it to him so he can go buy/sell drugs and use the bag in the process? I don't think Melo's stupidity in this case had much to do with the NBA.

X-Con said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he gets the help he needs.

ohall said:
Sports in general has serious issues with this type of thing. Look at the fights that took place a week ago in the NFL and this week in the NCAA. Crazy stuff. I heard one the guys who was involved in the South Carolina fight in the NCAA say it's not like we went into the stands like Artest did. What happened today with us was really nothing. They spent 10 minutes beating each other while totally ignoring the Police that were on the field. Incredible stuff.

I also think the fans in general are less respectful and have a total lack of respect in general to all athletes. There has been a cultural change in this country the last 15-years or so and we as a society have to try and deal with this and make the correction to stop the bleeding so to speak.

That is something that I can definately agree about. I just can't agree with you when you're making it seem as if the NBA is just terrible and other leagues are fine.

ohall said:
The only thing Sterm can control is the type of advertising and core group they are going to sell the game to. He made a decision to sell the NBA to the rap culture some years ago. At one point it was not the mainstream focus of the NBA but it most certainly has become that. I hope he has learned from his mistake. IMO this is the one of the reasons the game has been on a steady decline for 10-years now.

The otehr main reason is the scoring in the games has gone down significantly. I believe they need to take away the dunk as the main focus of the game and return the game to its glory days when every game use to be 200 plus point games. You would even get 300 point games from time to time. Now that is fun to watch IMO. A lot more fun than watching a basketball player always trying to dunk on someone else.

Yea my likings have a good history. A history of when the game had some respect, when the game was never more popular and the focus of the game was scoring points not scoring on someone. Think about it.
I dont think the NBA and david stern has made a conscious attempt to sell the NBA to the rap culture. Basketball is very popular in the black community so it makes sense that they would like the NBA. Stern is a smart man and realizes he needs to appeal to mainstream america for the league to be succeed financially.

Artest is stupid, he thinks he is a bad@ss but he isn't

VJ1252 said:
I dont think the NBA and david stern has made a conscious attempt to sell the NBA to the rap culture. Basketball is very popular in the black community so it makes sense that they would like the NBA. Stern is a smart man and realizes he needs to appeal to mainstream america for the league to be succeed financially.

What does the "black community" have to do with any of this? Hey man, don't blame us for being athletic and actually knowing how to play ball. :shakeno:

You guys make it sound like blacks overpopulating the NBA is a bad thing, when in reality...if another race overpopulated the NBA, it wouldn't be nearly as good or nearly as competitive. Again, don't take that as a racist comment...because you can turn around and make a similar comment about hockey. I'm speaking the truth. And even Larry Bird said this over the summer.

X-Con said:
What does the "black community" have to do with any of this? Hey man, don't blame us for being athletic and actually knowing how to play ball. :shakeno:

You guys make it sound like blacks overpopulating the NBA is a bad thing, when in reality...if another race overpopulated the NBA, it wouldn't be nearly as good or nearly as competitive. Again, don't take that as a racist comment...because you can turn around and make a similar comment about hockey. I'm speaking the truth. And even Larry Bird said this over the summer.
How did I make it sound like that is a bad thing?

Back
Top Bottom