Merged: Dolphins Trade Satele to Raiders for 6th round pick and swap 4th round picks | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Dolphins Trade Satele to Raiders for 6th round pick and swap 4th round picks

I think people are bummed, not because of the sense of trading a player who we saw as a backup and the front office clearly didnt think fit our system, BUT because he still had a tradeable value higher than we achieved for him.

He was a 2nd round draft pick 2 years ago, has started in the NFL ever since, doesnt seem injury prone and is a decent level starter, suited to Oakland's offense.

In all that HOW has his value dropped from a SECOND ROUNDER to a 6th rounder + 4th swap. We have simply lost value on this trade, against a suitor who needed a center and we had need of depth/roster competition.

Also, the fact that he was the guy we picked from the Wes Welker trade, which sees the value of that trade ever diminish is even more of a bummer.

I am a huge fan of our front office, I think they have done a brilliant job, but it doesn't mean they are not open to question.

If Satele's value was better then a 6th, why didn't the Phins get said value? I don't understand how he could be worth more if that worth isn't what the Dolphins received.

The only proof of anything that tells us Satele's worth was what he was traded for.

As much as I trust the front office I'm not completely sold on this move. Satele IMO was worth more then moving up a few picks in the 4th and 6th round.

Good thing the FO didn't make the move to sell you on it. He's worth what he was traded for. Period.

I mentioned a huge range and missed, wow I am great

a 40 player range in a 225 player draft is not that large if you ask me, especially since there's 32 teams and you'd have to at least get that span to cover all the possibilities.

i'm not saying i'm good or anything, i'm just answering to your homerheaven post, which in my mind is insulting, inaccurate and not backed up by your own thought on the subject.

i'm happy with the trade, i hope/guess you are. let's keep it that way

You only get 2nd round picks in return for good players bro. Get over it.

And why do you feel that we need to get equal value back for what we used to draft him? Thats the thing....when you make poor draft choices and spend 2nd round picks on bums, you dont get the pick back 2 years later.

Besides, like you say he spent 2 years as a starter, so its not as if we didnt get use out of him. If you buy something and use it for a while, should you ideally be able to sell it at a flea market for the same price you paid for it???

On top of that, just because someone is a starter, dosent necessarially mean they are a good player. You know it is possible for a team to be starting a bum that isnt worth a 2nd round pick. Look at the Lions...they do it at almost every position. Im sure you can think of plenty of players in the league who have started the last 2 seasons that you would not be willing to give a 2nd round pick for. I know I can. I would start with Satele. I wouldnt give a 7th rounder for him personally. He blows.

And besides, it could be worse. You could spend a 2nd rounder on John Beck and be stuck with zip and pip in return and the only thing you got out of him was 4 nightmarish starts, a few laughs from some follies, and 7,923 threads on FH. :lol:

Bottom line....we fleeced the Raiders in this deal. Be happy. We upgraded at C through FA, and salvaged something out of the horrible selection of Cam Cameron. Just be glad we got something out of L.Booker when we did. Alot of people were so upset about that deal. Booker is nothing special and we got a 4th rounder back out of the 3rd rounder Scam spent on him. Good move by BP. Now if he can just get some kind of pick out of Beck, we will get back what we can out of the worst draft in NFL history.

We got a steal to get a 6th rounder and move up in the 4th round, we will have some good picks on day 2. Im with ya i hope we get rid of sissy boy and can be one step closer to salvaging that horrible horrible draft. Other than Ginn (which was still a bad pick no matter what his progression is) no one has amounted to anything but playing 3rd string depth, and being released/traded. Way to go Cam and Mueller!!

We got a steal to get a 6th rounder and move up in the 4th round, we will have some good picks on day 2. Im with ya i hope we get rid of sissy boy and can be one step closer to salvaging that horrible horrible draft. Other than Ginn (which was still a bad pick no matter what his progression is) no one has amounted to anything but playing 3rd string depth, and being released/traded. Way to go Cam and Mueller!!

This trade was hardly a steal.

Satele Trade Details

Per KFFL:

"Updating a previous report, David White, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Miami Dolphins traded C Samson Satele to the Oakland Raiders for a 2009 sixth-round draft choice, according to a source. The teams also exchanged fourth-round draft choices."

If that's the case, then we're now picking at the top of the 4th round. Moving up in the 4th + the 6th round pick seems a bit better, though I was hoping we could've received even better compensation. In the end, I guess the Raiders (and other teams in the market for a C) knew that the trifecta wanted to get rid of him, and the Fins has less leverage to strike a good deal.

Link: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#561342

This trade was hardly a steal.

How wasnt it, Satele was a 2nd rounder who played very mediocre, got pushed around a lot. Just cause he was drafted in the 2nd didnt mean we are gonna get 2nd round quality picks in return. 6th rounder and moving up in the 4th is good considering how average he played. You make it sound like he was jeff saturday or some ****. Satele = average player drafted 2 high.

I don't think he is worth more to us than what he got

the Tuna is not responsible for what Satele cost us, he is responsible for improving the roster at all costs

he was certainly worth more - especially if he goes on to start for the raiders for the next decade. just b/c he didn't fit 'our scheme' doesn't mean he didn't have more value. unless that 4th or 6th rounder turns out to be a complete stud, we got hosed.

This is the first time I have read this as I have been out of town since Thursday (missed my finheaven madness competition too :boohoo:)..

Can someone please change my mind about who I feel incredibly ripped off on this trade? Essentially we traded a guy we spent a 2nd round pick on, who started every game for us since he was drafted - 32, for a switch of spots in the 4th and a 6th round pick... IMO we should have gotten a solid 3rd or 4th out of this deal.... I feel raped

Since this regime didn't draft Satele, I don't think it's logical to act like they wasted that 2nd rd pick by trading him. That was Mueller and Cameron' mistake, yet again.

If you think that this trade was fair or significantly helped the phins you are delusional. Satele was at the very least an experience backup OL that cost us next to nothing to keep and will start for the Raiders. In return we got a 6th round gamble and a marginally better player in the 4th round. I feel all dirty having Al Davis rape my beloved phins like that. I mean it's Al Davis, I think we could have gotten a 6th rounder for a 12 pack.

Sorry dude you lost all credibility with a mock draft that does not include a CB in the first 3 rounds and where we pick Roskie(sp?) with our first 2nd round pick when there will be better receivers there.

Sorry dude you lost all credibility with a mock draft that does not include a CB in the first 3 rounds and where we pick Roskie(sp?) with our first 2nd round pick when there will be better receivers there.

Mock draft with no CB in the first 3 rounds??? wow thats pretty ****ty mock draft if you ask me, lets just be thankful that no more "Muellers & Cams" are controlling our draft or people who think like those geniuses

I really hope the FO had a good handle on Satele's abilities as a starting guard and he sucked...cuz he could've been one heck of a nasty starting guard, especially given our two starters are coming off injuries.

And he was cheap!

I'm not really understanding this move...but we'll have a better sense of how good a move it was once we see how the new 4th and 6th rounders perform for us. Hindsight is 20/10.

Yeah? How much then?

i personally would have liked that second back. at least a third and i wouldn't feel that bad. i guess the trade works out to be a fourth, which i don't think is good value for us.

but if that fourth ends up being jasper brinkley, i'll be happy.

At least their 4th straight up would have been bearable!

Back
Top Bottom