Merged: Drew Henson/Miami gives pick for Drew Hensen? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Drew Henson/Miami gives pick for Drew Hensen?

Originally posted by FinsOnTop

Disagree. If that were true he would have cut him loose already. He'll glady keep paying him at this point to ruin the guy's football career.

If the Yankees released Henson, they'd be on the hook for his whole contract, unless someone else picked him up, which they wouldn't. Steinbrenner may be a spiteful S.O.B., but he's pragmatic enough to do the smart thing here.
Henson couldn't hack it as a baseball player, so Steinbrenner will just cut his losses and jump at the chance to get out from under a burdensome contract.

I think thats a bit much. It looked awefully dim his chances of getting out of his baseball contract a year ago which is why nobody took him. I can't believe people are criticizing us for not using a pick on him last year. The Texans simply beat us to it. In the 5th round we drafted JR Tolver cuz we needed at least one receiver and then in the early 6th we drafted Corey Jenkins because we'd had our eye on the kid for literally months. We had two more 6th round picks. Would we have used one of them on Henson had he still been there? I think its a strong possibility. The Dolphins showed an interest in the idea of spending a late late pick on Henson. But like the rest of the NFL the Dolphins had no reason to know he would be leaving baseball for certain within a year.

Criticizing the Dolphins for not using a late round pick on him is as retarded as criticizing the other 31 teams of the NFL who failed to use a late round pick on Adewale Ogunleye. Its easy to criticize NOW when the results are known, but back then the chances were so slim it was ridiculous.

Anyway thats interesting what Moulton said in response. Sounds like he might have actually said something along those lines and I may owe that DTalk poser an apology. But it also sounds like Moulton himself is not so sure of his source or perhaps may even be making it up. What does it mean that "the two teams have to agree to the deal..." How in the world is that "its a done deal"?

Sounds to me more like he's saying the Phins might offer their 2005 first rounder if Henson gets out of his baseball contract...

Oh BTW if we traded for Drew Henson there is nothing in the rule books that say we have to pay him like a 6th round pick. In fact if we traded for his rights which may or may not be possible, one problem is that the chips are all in his agent's basket...he can demand lots of money and we have to pay it otherwise they don't sign the contract and re-enter the 2004 draft...in which case we just traded our 1st round pick for nothing. If it is indeed possible to trade his rights what I would do then is make the deal with the Texans two draft picks. One this year, like in the 7th round, and the second a conditional first round pick in the 2005 draft conditioned on Henson signing his contract prior to the 2004 draft. Texans wont like it, but its the only way to ensure fair negotiations.

There's nothing to suggest Henson has to get paid like a 6th round pick. One reason he may prefer the trade (aside from having a choice of where he has the Texans send him) is because of the leverage he'd have in negotiations whereas if he re-entered the draft he could be facing a very tough situation. If he re-enters the draft that means negotiations to trade him failed and if thats the case then inevitably it means there's been a problem...be it the Yankees not playing ball in the buyout, or be it his agent being a jerk about contract negotiations. This would cause more uncertainty about him than there already is. Which means he'd prolly be drafted late first or early second...in which case, the man would have very little flexibility in negotiations for his contract and may overall end up getting paid less to a team he didn't choose, than he would have if he got traded.

I'll tell you what, I'm more than confident this front office knows what Henson is about if they trade away their 1st rounder for him.. It's the same front office that wanted to trade for Matt Hasselbeck when he was in Green Bay but was outdid by Holmgren in Seattle.. If it happens, you know we have a added a baller..

Trade first round pick FOR the player=pay player LIKE a first round pick.

Precisely inFINs. Wouldn't surprise me if his agent tries to pull a McGahee and negotiate an incentive based contract that would pay him like the top pick he would have been.

Ya but that's vague. Anything from pick 10 to 32 is not expensive. It's only top 5 picks that get a mega load and Henson is not going to be able to ask that money.

Back
Top Bottom