Merged: Drew Henson/Miami gives pick for Drew Hensen? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Drew Henson/Miami gives pick for Drew Hensen?

I hope just the opposite is true. I think it would be a great move, get a QB in early since he was already drafted. He could go to work right away when signed.

Miami could still have two possible 1'rst round picks, with Gun's possible signing by someone else.

I would say the the OL and WR positions could be addressed.

It's a win win situation for both teams.

If John Clayton and Chris Mortensen are not saying a word about it, it ain't true. This "Pops" guy is going to get the scoop on the rest of the NFL insiders when they have phone links directly to insiders on every team? I don't think so. Does this guy even exist? And what city is this in?

It may happen, but this kind of info is too lame.

Two things......first of all...Moulton is on the radio localy from noon-2:00pm....stuck between Tony Kornheiser and Dan Patrick....I listen to him EVERY day....never heard him say that....but, in all honesty, I don't hear every single word so, I will call him today and see if he did indeed say that.

second, I highly doubt that some peon local broadcaster is going to have a bit of information like this....but, like I said, I will call and confirm this rumor today.....

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
If John Clayton and Chris Mortensen are not saying a word about it, it ain't true. This "Pops" guy is going to get the scoop on the rest of the NFL insiders when they have phone links directly to insiders on every team? I don't think so. Does this guy even exist? And what city is this in?

It may happen, but this kind of info is too lame.

Local sports guy for ABC7 in Ft. Myers FL....abc7.com if you're intersted....but the show the article refers to is his daily radio talk show....770AM or your dial....

Yeah Davie Florida is about 130 miles from Fort Myers. That's some distance for local media guys to cover...
But stranger things have happened.

I looked at the Houston Texans official Messageboard and there is no sniff of this there yet...

I left a posting there requesting any info they may have...

http://www.houstontexans.com/fans/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, just joined the board, but I've been lurking for a little while.

Anyway, I did a google search on "Drew Henson" Miami Dolphins trade, and nothing came up, whatever that's worth.

Personally, I'd like to see this happen. Henson might be a little rusty, but he's definitely in shape, and he would have been a top 5 pick for sure had he played football. Giving up next year's #1 for him is probably a good move.

To digress for a moment, I remember during the 2003 draft, I was praying the Phins would use a late round pick on Henson. Anyone who followed his baseball career knew that he was going to be a washout. So, spending a future first round pick now seems inflationary, but them's the breaks.

Miami will be paying for Wanny's draft mistakes for quite some time. As it is, we'll be facing whoever they take with our #2 draft pick this season. And if we give up a #1 pick for Henson when he could gave been taken for a late 5th rounder, well, I hope Wanny has a good investment guy, because I'd hate to see him play the stock market...

"NONONONO Dave, it's buy LOW, sell HIGH, NOT the other way around!!!!"

In their defense it didn't look AT ALL like Henson would be able to get out of his baseball contract when he was drafted by the Texans. I remember talk surrounding it and it seemed like the Yanks were taking a very hard line stance that he would have to pay back money and stuff...and Henson said publically a few times he was committed to playing baseball.

A 6th round pick was appropriate at the time I thought, and so did most others. The Phins may have used a pick on him who knows but the Texans just beat them to it, beat everyone to it.

Anyway for what its worth I believe this post is a fake. It might stand to reason that Pops Moulton if I am to understand that he is based in Ft Myers, might have contacts somewhere in Bradenton where Henson has been working out, however something in the post itself leads me to believe that this poster is taking a guess based on an article I saw.

Drew Henson was not drafted in the same draft as David Carr. David Carr was the first pick in the 2002 draft. Drew Henson was drafted in the 6th round of the 2003 draft. The reason I think this means this is a fake report is because I recently saw at least one article, I think an inside article, that also mistakenly alluded to the Texans taking Drew Henson in the same draft as they took David Carr. That would lead me to conclude that this guy saw an article like that and just made up a report that he heard it was a done deal for a 2005 first round pick (which has been known to be their asking price). Conveniently we wouldn't find out for weeks, because its all predicated on his negotiations with the Yankees. And if we never hear about it, I suppose the poster could conveniently say the Phins must have changed their mind during that waiting period.

Overall if its TRUE though I must say I had started to get my heart set on Phillip Rivers, but Drew Henson was a bonafied top five QB in the draft the year he could have come out to the NFL. In fact the Texans were ready to make him their #1 pick in the draft. The fact that Miami would get him 2 years later for the equivalent of a 2nd round pick (remember, a 2005 1st rounder = 2004 2nd rounder) is pretty darn good even if he has been out of football for that 2 years.

Good analysis, parrothead. Given that the Texans took Henson at about the top of the 6th round (I assume they took him there, anyway), it takes some steam out of the "we should have taken him then" idea, since the Phins were still drafting for need in round 5.

I would take some issue with the Yankees contract thing, though. There's lots of precedent for football prospects who try (and fail) at baseball and who get out of their contracts. If Henson turned into a big time bust, given the amount of money committed to him it's unlikely that the Yanks (or any team, for that matter) would have stood in his way if he wanted to void the contract and go back to football. Why pay that kind of money to a stiff if he's willing to void the deal? George Steinbrenner may be a bit of a wastrel, but he's not stupid.

Here is what I got from the Texans Board:

gwallaia
Friday January 30, 2004 1:11 PM (NEW!)

I have heard no such reports yet.

-------------------------
caddy
Friday January 30, 2004 1:41 PM (NEW!)

Only a hint about future pick, might be the offer.. by GM CC. All we've heard is news from Fla. As for the draft pick: 6th round ( 192nd ) supplemental pick, at the time a real gamble, as we
had Carr, Dave Ragone, Tony Banks and he made the 4th Quarterback. Who had a guaranted contract from Yankees. 12 million still left on table, got 5 million already in he pocket. And made it known that Baseball is what he wanted. Never sit down with Charley Casserly in a texas hold-em poker game. It will cost ya. caddy

---------
SheTexan1
Friday January 30, 2004 1:47 PM (NEW!)

There's another thread called "Henson update" that you might want to follow. There is a post by Aj that probably gives the latest on what we have heard around here. Besides, everyone is so caught up in the SB hype that whats going on with D. Henson is secondary to anything else. Check back after the SB. Some media hound will have had the time to check it out by then.
-------------------------
CpuFan
Friday January 30, 2004 2:03 PM (NEW!)

Thanks for the update all, I read the Drew Henson update thread
you mentioned. Not much there...

But it is intresting that lately the Miami media has posted alot about him lately... Who knows...

Catch you later and many thanks!

Originally posted by phunwin
Good analysis, parrothead. Given that the Texans took Henson at about the top of the 6th round (I assume they took him there, anyway), it takes some steam out of the "we should have taken him then" idea, since the Phins were still drafting for need in round 5.

I would take some issue with the Yankees contract thing, though. There's lots of precedent for football prospects who try (and fail) at baseball and who get out of their contracts. If Henson turned into a big time bust, given the amount of money committed to him it's unlikely that the Yanks (or any team, for that matter) would have stood in his way if he wanted to void the contract and go back to football. Why pay that kind of money to a stiff if he's willing to void the deal? George Steinbrenner may be a bit of a wastrel, but he's not stupid.

Welcome Phunwin:www:

Well supposedly this is breaking news, only reported at 5pm yesterday by a Fort Myers sports radio guy who may or may not claim inside sources. It would likely take a while for other more prominent sources to pick it up.

What I'm sayin is this Pops Moulton probably didn't even say it. I think the poster might have just made it up. If Moulton DID say it you have to acknowledge the possibility that he may have heard it somewhere via Bradenton.

Originally posted by phunwin
Hey guys, just joined the board, but I've been lurking for a little while.

Anyway, I did a google search on "Drew Henson" Miami Dolphins trade, and nothing came up, whatever that's worth.

Personally, I'd like to see this happen. Henson might be a little rusty, but he's definitely in shape, and he would have been a top 5 pick for sure had he played football. Giving up next year's #1 for him is probably a good move.

To digress for a moment, I remember during the 2003 draft, I was praying the Phins would use a late round pick on Henson. Anyone who followed his baseball career knew that he was going to be a washout. So, spending a future first round pick now seems inflationary, but them's the breaks.

Where in Roch are you form? I live in the Park Ave area. Always nice to hear from another Roch fin fan.

I Hope to god this is true. If we get a #1 overall QB for a 2nd round equivalent would be a great deal. He is no more "rusty" than any other rookie. Its tough to play in the NFL right away, especially at the QB position. Esentially he is a 24 yr old rookie QB that has been compared to Elway. How can anyone hate getting that calibur player for a 2nr round equivalent.

I've seen more than one source suggest that Henson was a better QB prospect than Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, and Kyle Boller. And if the Texans were ready to make him their #1 pick in the 2002 draft then THEY at least believed him better than the likes of David Carr, Joey Harringon, and Patrick Ramsey.

Those are some impressive names to me that Drew Henson is being hoisted above according to the scouts....especially to me David Carr and Byron Leftwich because I think they'll both be pretty good quarterbacks.

I like Phillip Rivers, but Henson was a bonafied top prospect a la Manning/Roethlisberger. If we can get him for the equivalent of a second rounder this year (remember, a 2005 first rounder = 2004 second rounder in trade)...thats a steal to be completely honest. You can knock the whole 1st round = 2nd round equivalency but you have to admit its awefully nice to have him here for a year learning the ropes prior to the draft in which you're giving a draft pick up for him.

Not only would getting him solve our future QB problems, but we'd still have that 20th pick to use this year wherever we see fit. And I suppose, if things looked bad for keeping Ogunleye, we could have another first round pick to use...whether its to replace Ogunleye or to add an OL/WR first round super special combo.

Back
Top Bottom