Merged: FINAL CUTS ARE IN!!!!!!!/Dolphins waive 13 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: FINAL CUTS ARE IN!!!!!!!/Dolphins waive 13

I want to hear Wanny's comments on the CB situation..

I'm not really shocked by any of the moves but I was also a little surprised that we couldn't get a pick for Edwards. I like him but to be honest, I'm glad that Henry made it and of course Tolver and Jenkins too. Like some of the guys have posted here, I also think there'll be another move or 2(probably a RT or a corner). About the 3 corners that got cut, we have Sam, Pat,Fletch and T-buck and we're set at safety too so I'm not worry about that.

Ozzy rules!!

Why was Robert Edwards cut? Edwards was doing a better job than Henry according to the stats. I thought the Fins might want to keep Banks and, to spare the shame of wasting draft picks, Tim Provost. I still think Gadsden has to go, he's already injured again! Maybe trade him for a better punter.

Preseason stats have to be taken with a grain of salt (look no further than Ricky). Henry did average 5.0 ypc compared to 4.3 for Edwards. And by most accounts, Henry is just more explosive than Edwards. I guess we'll see.

As for wasting draft picks, it is very rare that all of your picks make it. Actually, I don't know of any draft for any team where all the picks made it. I wouldn't fret too much over a 6th round pick who will likely be back on the practice squad if we so choose (Provost).

I'm surprised by all the people surprised that Alphonso Roundtree got cut. He sucked did you see the Atlanta game? He was constantly getting burned worse than Fletcher even. Hopefully T Buck, though he does get burned alot will be our Nickle Back because he makes a play every now and then. Freeman being replaced by Sammy Knight also gets burned alot but at least he makes his presence felt on the Run as well as makes you pay when you catch the ball. Our secondary cost us a few games last year especially at Buffalo and KC as well as at NYJ. I'm expecting a little improvement maybe they'll cost us two games instead of 3. It just takes a little bit to make the next step.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Palm Beach Post article fails to list Roundtree among those cut, and it appears that everyone else who was cut IS listed. I'm assuming this was just an omission on their part, -- or could there be something screwed-up in the lists released earlier?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/0831dolphins.html

Must just be an omission. Otherwise we'd have 54 players on the roster. Oh, well -- maybe I'm just wishing that we could have kept him.:)

Originally posted by bdwgroove

If you read up a bit you'll see my post and I agree with everything that you wrote.

You were posting at the same time I was typing. Good analysis!

I see in an article from the Herald that we are able to reach an injury settlement with Gadsedn as late as next Friday which would make him a free agent and possibly come back after game six. I doubt we will see him in a Dolphin uniform again but he will probably play for someone this year.

I hope that he signs the settlement because if he doesn't there is no way we can resign him if we put him on IR and then waive him when healthy

Damn !!

1400 reads in 4 hours....

Muck, This beats your adulation thread hands down..

Sorry you can't retire yet...

Re: FINAL CUTS ARE IN!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Muck
From the Official Site.......

Dolphins Release 13 Players, Place Gadsden On I/R
August 31, 2003

The team waived the following 13 players today:

T Greg Jerman 2

I seem to remember getting flamed for bringing up OL depth and many jumping on the Greg Jerman @ LT bandwagon. At one point in the offseason coaches were pumping Jerman up in the media. Just to bring up a point that a coaching staff can make positive comments in the media to try and motivate a player that they very well know probably can't handle the job just in case that player is all they have to fall back on. That was obviously the case here.

Jerman could be a decent back up in this league and probably would have made the team if they didn't keep Whitley because he was a third rounder. I think he makes the practice squad and gets added to the roster at some point during the year. As far as the coaches hyping someone to create motivation...well they probably do do that. Jerman didn't quite cut it but they certainly hyped Tolver and Thompson and they both made the team. In Jerman's case, we probably have the best young lineman on this team as backups since I can remember.

Originally posted by savoy
The rest of the NFL wishes to thank the Dolphins for keeping Fletcher and letting go of more promising players. This is a great move designed to provide balance to what would otherwise be too dominating a defense.

:roflmao: Too dang funny!

Until you realize it is completely true.... :cry:

How many years will the first rounder "cut exemption pass" keep Fletch on the team ahead of others? I feel we cut 2 more talented corners to keep Fletch around. We'll see. Maybe he reaches his potential this year.

Originally posted by ZOD
:hmmm: Sam Simmons made the team!!!

:beerbang: :mdfin: :clap: :banana: :rockon:

I think the recieving crew is the most exciting part of this team.
Yes, they are all a little unproven. Will Chambers recover form and progress? Will Thompson be able to build on last years numbers? Can Mcknight make the next step and become more productive? Can Tolver and Simmons make plays when it really counts.

Those are all valid questions but I really feel this group will step up and be a shining point on our offense. Chambers play in New Orleans was a big relief and hopefully it starts a confidence building situation for him.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

:
How many years will the first rounder "cut exemption pass" keep Fletch on the team ahead of others? I feel we cut 2 more talented corners to keep Fletch around. We'll see. Maybe he reaches his potential this year.

Well this year we added the third round exemption with Whitley making the team. Jimmy Johnson did a lot of things wrong but he never kept guys who couldn't play just to save face. He would move on, trade down for more picks the next year, and play the odds. I wonder how many teams have All Pro players that were drafted in the 2nd (Madison), 2nd (Surtain), third (Taylor), and 5th (Zack). I'm sure other teams have 4 pro bowlers, but all picked ou of the first round?

JJ sure waited on Brent Smith. Man, he was bad. Lets give Whitley a chance.

Back
Top Bottom