MERGED: For once and for all Brown no backup... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: For once and for all Brown no backup...

godfater21 said:
So your admitting that caddy was the starting RB. because in case you did not know FB is a different position than RB. So if Caddy was out there as a RB and Brown was out there as a FB, than wouldn't that make Caddy the starting RB?

Admitting what homey? Check the title of this thread, and get back to me. K?

In case you didn't know, being on the field at the same time tells you that neither player BACKED UP.

D'oh

Noodleman said:
If Brown was a back-up then what does that mean for White and Reggie Bush. Bush was considered, by many, the best player in the nation. The reality is that when White was healthy, he was a better back. The question is, does it really matter who actually started the game? I would take Bush or White and be happy with either just as I think Caddy and Brown are both good backs(although I think Brown is better)!

Whoever lines up at that position the most is the starter. whether they are they do to another players injuries, or if they split carries it does not matter. who ever gets more reps at there position is the starter. it blows my mind that you people just can't seem to understand that.

Ozzy said:
In case you didn't know, being on the field at the same time tells you that neither player BACKED UP.

D'oh

If caddy starts at RB and brown Starts at FB. than yes Caddy is starting RB and Brown is starting FB. but if in the game Brown takes caddies place at RB. than that means he was backing him up.

If people are so hell bent on labeling Ronnie Brown a college "back-up" in a negative light, perhaps they should remember Oklahoma State's backfield from 1986-1987. Barry Sanders was Thurman Thomas's "back-up" for two seasons. If Barry didn't stay at Oklahoma State for that 1988 season, or if he and Thurman were the same age and graduated at the same time (like Ronnie and Caddy), then what would have become of Barry??? Just food for thought.

Go Phins!!!!!

C-Money84 said:
If people are so hell bent on labeling Ronnie Brown a college "back-up" in a negative light, perhaps they should remember Oklahoma State's backfield from 1986-1987. Barry Sanders was Thurman Thomas's "back-up" for two seasons. If Barry didn't stay at Oklahoma State for that 1988 season, or if he and Thurman were the same age and graduated at the same time (like Ronnie and Caddy), then what would have become of Barry??? Just food for thought.

Go Phins!!!!!

100% correct Barry Sanders was a back-up to Thurman Thomas in college.

It's the same thing as Ronnie Brown being a back-up to Caddy. only difference is Caddy and Brown arrived at Auburn at the same time. instead of a year apart like Sanders and Thomas, so it wasn't as clear cut.

With Sanders And Thomas the back-up turned out to be the better pro. so lets just hope it works out the same with Brown and Caddy.

godfater21 said:
Caddy was in the RB position more than Brown was that makes brown caddies backup like it or not. it does not matter if brown was used as a WR while caddy was at RB. Caddy was there #1 RB Brown split carries but was still #2. I'm not to worried about Brown being able to be a full time RB. But at the same time it is something to think about.

But that happened for a reason, when Caddy was in there, so was Brown, because Brown was a better receiver and could block for caddy. If Brown had been the main back, then they would not have been using their talent in the best way, because Caddy could not block or catch as well as Brown.

godfater21 said:
If caddy starts at RB and brown Starts at FB. than yes Caddy is starting RB and Brown is starting FB. but if in the game Brown takes caddies place at RB. than that means he was backing him up.

Well that's funny cause Ronnie was on the field MORE then Williams was. It might not have been the RB position but FB in college is used like a RB. Some of the alltime great RB's played "FB" in college.

The simple fact is that when Williams played RB Ronnie was at FB or Slot WR. When Ronnie played RB Williams WENT TO THE BENCH.

Playing the technicality holds no weight there godfater.

tay0365 said:
But that happened for a reason, when Caddy was in there, so was Brown, because Brown was a better receiver and could block for caddy. If Brown had been the main back, then they would not have been using their talent in the best way, because Caddy could not block or catch as well as Brown.

Like you said Brown was a better blocker and reciever. that is why they had Caddy start at RB. and used Brown in other areas. it does not matter what the reason. the player that gets the most playing time at a position is the starter.

i dont understand why anyone would care if he was the starter or backup. we got him at #2. lets enjoy the fact we got a possible franchise RB & how long has it been since we had a top 5 pick? let alone the #2?

can't we just enjoy this & look forward to the upcoming season?

some of guys over analyze things.

VanDolPhan said:
Well that's funny cause Ronnie was on the field MORE then Williams was. It might not have been the RB position but FB in college is used like a RB. Some of the alltime great RB's played "FB" in college.

The simple fact is that when Williams played RB Ronnie was at FB or Slot WR. When Ronnie played RB Williams WENT TO THE BENCH.

Playing the technicality holds no weight there godfater.

It's not a technicality. it's a fact. Caddy got more reps at the RB position than Brown did that makes him the starter. we are not debating who was more versitile. it is who started and who was the back-up. and Caddy got more reps at RB than brown so he was the starter and Brown backed him up.

claytonAndDuper said:
buffalo fans, before they post, should think back to the sexual preference of there new starting qb

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

JB-Dolfan-VA said:
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

I know people may not like my posts but at least i stay on topic.

godfater21 said:
No a back-up is any player that gets less time at his position than another player. Sorry, but that was Ronnie Brown!!

No, a backup is a reserve or a substitute. Someone who comes in off the bench. Ronnie Brown was on the field. He was not the backup.

byroan said:
No, a backup is a reserve or a substitute. Someone who comes in off the bench. Ronnie Brown was on the field. He was not the backup.

No, a back-up is a secondary player at a position. When a player gets more reps at RB than another he is a starter, and the one who gets less is a back-up.

brown wasn't a backup. cadillac was the "starter" only by technicality. cadillac ran the majority of the time and came out whenever something needed to be done that brown did better, i.e. catching the ball out of the backfield, splitting out, blocking, etc. brown obviously can carry the ball as well as cadillac, and probably better. if brown started, what would cadillac do? brown would just run and catch and block, and cadillac would only come in when brown needed a breather. it just made more sense from a tactical standpoint for cadillac to "start" over brown. in reality, there was no true starter, they split carries.

Back
Top Bottom