Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

He is much more talented than Travis Minor, he actually could have been a top RB in the nation if he had a better supporting offense at FSU. Highly recruited . . . he boldly predicted breaking FSU school records last season.

Sammy Smith said the same thing.. Look how that turned out for Miami ..

The last 2 RB's Miami picked from FSU sucked the bag .. Let's hope the 3rd time is the charm for Booker .

Excellent post Boomer, I am very, very satisfied w/ this draft. Only 2 things could have gone better. One was the trade that I had in my mock . . it took us almost the whole 15 minutes to draft Ginn, we had to be entertaining trades w/ Green Bay for them to jump over Buffalo and grab Lynch . . . they probably would have did it if Peterson was there.

Second was not trying to go up and grab Kalil, but I remember you saying he would be a better fit, so it didn't bother me . . . still I wonder who Miami would have selected if Carolina didn't take Kalil. Either way Samson is a beast, and I'm sure with Houck's training, he will be an exceptional Center for us.

I like the Beck pick and the Booker pick very much also.

Sammy Smith said the same thing.. Look how that turned out for Miami ..

The last 2 RB's Miami picked from FSU sucked the bag .. Let's hope the 3rd time is the charm for Booker .

True, but this guy is much more versatile than both of those backs, he just didn't have the supporting cast. I agree that Smith and Minor didn't pan out, but I just see plenty of options for Booker in this offense and the speed with him and Ginn makes this offense a DANGEROUS one. I expect a Tackle with our 4th round pick . . . Cam and Randy have a plan . . . I hope it works out.

thnax boomer its good to read some real reviews other then people just giving the dolphins an f becuase we didnt get quinn

Boomer, do you know who the Dolphins had higher on their board - Kolb or Beck? I believe I remember you saying a while back they were targeting Kolb at #40.

I went to bed at 3am. I got up at 7.35am.

I am tired. So this won't be a definitive review, that will come when it's all said and done.

I thought in the past couple of weeks that Brady Quinn might slip to 9. As each pick went by, I thought we were going to get him. Then someone said that Adam Schefter had said it might not be Quinn.

Buh?

Suddenly those four visits with Ginn came into my head. Randy pledging the need for speed and immediate impact.

It had to be #7.

So whilst I was disappointed we didn't get Quinn, that disappointment was tempered by the fact we took Ginn, a ridiculous playmaker. I've said this many times before, but he provides an X-Factor to this offense, the like of which we might never have seen. Ginn will play flanker. He will play in the slot. He will go deep on anyone. He will run screens. He will run reverses. He will line up at QB, he will take pitches. He will take the #1 CB and run him all over the field.

That is a weapon.

And can we just dispel some rumours?

1. Not injury prone. Never, ever had an injury, not playing CB, WR, RB, QB, KR, S, PR at HS. Not at OSU, returning 94 punts and catching 135+ passes.

2. Can work the middle. More than 60% of Ginn's receptions at OSU came over the middle.

3. Will beat press. Watch him play Leon Hall, watch him play Aaron Ross. Both those boys went in R1 and both of them got done by Ginn.

4. He has a ligament damaged, mid foot sprain. Not a twisted ankle.

5. Is a lot more than just a ST player.

I'm real excited about this pick, a pick Miami has been waiting to make since scouting Santonio Holmes.

Getting John Beck was a boon. I brought him up in my draft review last year as a QB to watch and have banged his drum consistently since then. He has a strong arm, is a great kid, has touch and can make NFL throws. I've said it a lot, but he's Rich Gannon with a better arm. I love the pick. And he could easily have gone late 1.

Of course the $64,000 question is, are Ginn and Beck better than say Quinn and Steve Smith? That's one for the ages.

Samson Satele is a guy we've had on the radar for ages. And when my OL guru Mr Clean likes a lineman, that makes me happy. I've seen a lot of him whilst drooling over Colt Brennan and he can play. He's nasty, he's mobile, he's strong as an Ox, he's versatile and whilst he needs run blocking work, his pass blocking skills are very good. Houck ran his workout and it's a solid pick and a better fit than Ryan Kalil. Jesse Sapolu is the name people bring up and that's a hell of a pick if he bears that out.

And finally on day 1, a guy I called to Chris in one of our draft chats and who I called in the chat room yesterday. I knew Miami had a strong interest from the FSU boards and Gene Dot Com and he'll add that Reggie Bush ability, that Leon Washington ability to our offense. Good speed, good hands, he'll play back, he'll go out wide, hell he gives us so many options. And lest we not forget, TFY said he could go late 1. This is a great pick and a decent day 1. Lets remember that Booker played behind a pretty awful line at FSU and with Weatherford and his WR's struggling, they loaded up to stop the one real talent - Booker. And he STILL averaged 5.1 a carry.

Our offense just got a whole lot better. Beck/CPep/Green with Ronnie, Ricky and Book, throwing to CC, Ginn, Marty, Hagan, Martin and the ability to get real creative with CC, Ginn, Lo Booker and Ronnie. That's a good feeling.

And make no mistake; the offensive skill positions in Miami are a lot stronger collectively than Cameron ever had in San Diego. And he was considered an offensive genius with less.

God only knows what he'll do with more.

And 6 more picks today. I think Doug Free has to be a strong possibility, what with the Carey news. Josh Gattis is another early. Kelly Tavalou, Bushrod, Brett Ratliff, Deslauriers, Logan Payne, Jake Nordin, Beekman, Allen Barbre, Adam Koets, Quarterman, Manny Ramirez, Ray McDonald, Marcus Thomas, Akeem Jordan, Fred Bennett, Condren......all bear watching.

But I'd say a solid B+ for day 1.

1. You say he's not injury prone, yet he's injured now. It's his size that makes his durability at this level as a receiver a risk.

2. As for press coverage, that will remain to be seen, but I wouldn't compare Leon Hall to champ bailey, or asante samuel. This crop of cornerbacks this year was pretty weak. I hope he can beat press coverage, but it's also a risk considering his size.

Having said all of that, he is a Miami Dolphin now and I hope he's not a bust. It sounds like John Beck is an accurate passer and I don't mind him over quinn, risk is probably the same with both of them as is the upside. Don't mind the big samoan center. The running back pick I have to question, thought we could've gotten better value at that pick with another position or player.

All in all, Mueller has put his job security on the Ted Ginn Jr. over Brady Quinn pick. The good news for him is that if Beck works out it won't be so bad, but in my opinion we could've done alot better with our 9 overall pick. If we were going to reach for a receiver, I would've rather seen us reach for Dwayne Bowe, but we shall see.

1. You say he's not injury prone, yet he's injured now. It's his size that makes his durability at this level as a receiver a risk.

2. As for press coverage, that will remain to be seen, but I wouldn't compare Leon Hall to champ bailey, or asante samuel. This crop of cornerbacks this year was pretty weak. I hope he can beat press coverage, but it's also a risk considering his size.

Having said all of that, he is a Miami Dolphin now and I hope he's not a bust. It sounds like John Beck is an accurate passer and I don't mind him over quinn, risk is probably the same with both of them as is the upside. Don't mind the big samoan center. The running back pick I have to question, thought we could've gotten better value at that pick with another position or player.

All in all, Mueller has put his job security on the Ted Ginn Jr. over Brady Quinn pick. The good news for him is that if Beck works out it won't be so bad, but in my opinion we could've done alot better with our 9 overall pick. If we were going to reach for a receiver, I would've rather seen us reach for Dwayne Bowe, but we shall see.

Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas . . . whoever else, if they would have gotten their foot bent the way Ginn had his "during a TD celebration where his teamate did the damage", they would have been hurt as well. The kid has NEVER been hurt in game action.

Great Ginn wont be able to beat Champ Bailey . . . not many can lol . . . fact is nobody could stick w/ him in college . . . including some of the best CB's in the draft.

Thank you Boomer. I have been waiting for sound evaluation and review of the draft day one. I know this hasn't been a popular draft, but all in all it has addressed most of our major issues.

I additional point worth considering is the "value" of each player in terms of salary and cap situation each position would have commanded. I believe Quinn wasn't "worth" the value at "9". What do you think?

Thanks, Boomer. I am still shocked we didn't get Quinn and was very mad. After reading your post the madness is starting to go away some.

Boomer: great pre-draft info, and chat room updates. This post as well. Look forward to today's input.
Do you think the Carey to LT is a smokescreen so no-one moves ahead of us to get LT Free?
Would love to get David Irons and Kevin Boss day 2 as well.

Boomer, do you know who the Dolphins had higher on their board - Kolb or Beck? I believe I remember you saying a while back they were targeting Kolb at #40.
They had Beck rated alot higher.. beck could have easily gone in the first round.. Kolb is good but hes more of a west coast qb.

Thanks Boom, it still doesn't make me feel better. Ginn was a huge reach at #9. Anyone who is a fan of drafting BPA, should not be a fan of the draft either.

I'm so angry we didnt take Quinn, but the sick feeling I have would be less if we chose someone on a BPA level. Not bc Cam felt the need to pick with his heart, and draft someone he has known for over 10years. The guy we needed fell to us, and we looked the other way to get what we hope can be the next Dante Hall? Not a good pick at all.

Quinn/ Jarrett or Ginn/ Beck? Embarrassing that Cam chose the latter.

A year ago I felt Brady Quinn would have been a great choice for Miami. After seeing his senior season and the hype that followed I'm not going to complain because they didn't pick him. In my book accuracy and consistency count for a lot when picking a qb. I didn't see that in Quinn so I don't feel a big loss there.

It seems that (besides reaching for Ginn Jr. at 9) Cam and Mueller went with the safe picks so far. I mean even if they welcome Ricky back they were going to need a 3rd back and Satele gives them a couple of options on the O-line. John Beck from what I've seen of him looks more accurate and calm under pressure than Quinn. Think about this Quinn lovers. When the qb coach has exstensive time to work out a young qb prior to the draft and the team goes with someone else, it means they've seen something telling about that kids future.

I thought for sure we would take Brady but Ginn is a playmaker, and will be the first game of the season. I am happy with the draft so far, no complaints. Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, and Lo Booker gives us a sick backfield. We are going to be fine. To all of our picks I say 'Welcome to Miami, Lets go get us a championship'.:bighug:

thanks boomer sanity is needed. dave hyde has a great column this morning also

Back
Top Bottom