Merged: Jake Grove Agrees to Five Year Deal! | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jake Grove Agrees to Five Year Deal!

I dont really like this signing. Thats a lot to pay for a average player when you could have gotten a much younger/better player for not much more.

I'm not saying Grove is garbage, he sounds like a decent player, but I haven't seen a Raiders fan say he was worth the money or that they are pissed he got away. He is the same size basically as Satele, and much older. He is also injury prone. He has missed close to half the games over the length of his career. Doesnt sound worth a 5 year contract with a bunch of guaraneed money. I think we overpayed here.

For now the FO has earned the benefit of the doubt for sure. We'll know if it was a good signing soon enough.

Tyler, You obviously never have seen Jake Grove play to call him an average player my man. The guy is a hard-nosed, old-school center who can black in the run game far better than Jason Brown. Her is also versatile and has experience at both guard positions. Our line just got a lot better

the skepticism on this signing just baffles me. We have the youngest, meanest line in football. Jake Long and Jake Grove are two of the best run-blockers at their position in the game. Both Jake's are mean dudes and so is Donald Thomas is going to be a mauler and maybe have a trips to the Pro-Bowl along the way. Vernon Carey and Justin Smiley are veterans at the prime of their careers. Our team got a lot beter today.

Jason Brown is a good player but he got handled by Casey Hampton, Albert Haynesworth, and Shaun Rogers. It shows he clearly has trouble with nig Nose Tackle. On the contrary Jake Grove dominated Jamal Williams. Watch the game
Honestly, would you be saying this if the Jets signed Grove to a 5 year, 30 million dollar deal with 14M guaranteed? I think you'd say it was overpaying. Especially considering what Jason Brown got.

LOL at Fins fans claiming that the Jets drastically overpaid for a guy like Scott and then claim it's a great move for Miami to spend a boatload on a mediocre center like Grove.

I thought you guys spent money wisely?

Touche! Time will tell which team got the better deal. I expect both players to play well next season. I am excited to see how a Rex Ryan Jets defense plays versus a Dolphins offensive line without an obvious weakness. It should be fun to watch. By the way, how do you like the 2nd level seal block on David Harris by our mediocre center on this play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bca4bc

Or this block on Jenkins

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bc8cc2

Touche! Time will tell which team got the better deal. I expect both players to play well next season. I am excited to see how a Rex Ryan Jets defense plays versus a Dolphins offensive line without an obvious weakness. It should be fun to watch. By the way, how do you like the 2nd level seal block on David Harris by our mediocre center on this play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bca4bc

Or this block on Jenkins

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bc8cc2

Oh snap! proves one again the ignorance of some posters. great vid finds.

Tyler, You obviously never have seen Jake Grove play to call him an average player my man. The guy is a hard-nosed, old-school center who can black in the run game far better than Jason Brown. Her is also versatile and has experience at both guard positions. Our line just got a lot better

Listen Man, Most of us have no problem with Jake if healthy although we don't necessarily think of him as the second coming of Dwight Stevenson. But realistically an upgrade over what we had.

But damn man, the fact that you seem to stick your head in the sand and are unwilling to acknowledge the fact or even more bizaar do not even seem to care that in his 5 year professional career, he's not played in about 50% of those games.

Thats a big 50% = 1/2 of his games, do you understand 50% ?.........

In other words NOT BE ON THE FIELD TO PLAY, And I don't care how good you are if you are not able to get on the field it should be understood it's A BAD THING

How some of you just let this go right over your heads is rather perplexing to some of us.

We all hope he stays healthy but the historic pattern seems to show the opposite and such a hefty salary on top of it has created a level of concern to many fans in here.

While I was surprised by the terms of the contract, I'm not going to pretend I know more about offensive line play than Sparano and Bill. I think the kid is going to be a good player for us, and I'm all for upgrading the offensive line. Our running game was a tad overrated last year due to the Wildcat's success. Hopefully we can convert 3rd and 1s this year without lining Pennington up as a WR.

I know I already posted in this thread, but I'm still in shock. This seems absolutely like a panic signing as a result of not being aggressive enough in going after Brown. FO's make mistakes. To believe otherwise just means you're lying to yourself. I hope Grove is all that, but damn it this contract seems irrational.

Tyler,

Nope. That's what the league has come to. Practically everyone is being overpaid. I mean Dominique Foxworth makes more than Will Allen

Listen Man, Most of us have no problem with Jake if healthy although we don't necessarily think of him as the second coming of Dwight Stevenson. But realistically an upgrade over what we had.

But damn man, the fact that you seem to stick your head in the sand and are unwilling to acknowledge the fact or even more bizaar do not even seem to care that in his 5 year professional career, he's not played in about 50% of those games.

Thats a big 50% = 1/2 of his games, do you understand 50% ?.........

In other words NOT BE ON THE FIELD TO PLAY, And I don't care how good you are if you are not able to get on the field it should be understood it's A BAD THING

How some of you just let this go right over your heads is rather perplexing to some of us.

We all hope he stays healthy but the historic pattern seems to show the opposite and such a hefty salary on top of it has created a level of concern to many fans in here.

Well, it would be different if he was benched in the past couple years because he got outplayed or if he had been continually injured throughout his career, but neither is the case.
When he was a rookie, Adam Treu was still the Raiders starting center for all 16 games. Jake was a backup who dressed but did not play the first half of the season. Not unusual for a rookie. He started at G for the 2nd half of his rookie season.
His 2nd season, he split the starts at center with Treu. He was a backup the rest of the games.
His 3rd season, he became the full time starter for all 16 games at C.
His 4th season, he only played in 7 games with 2 starts due to a knee injury that eventually required microfracture surgery, causing him to go on IR for the final 9 games.
Last season, he start 12 of 12 games played at C, missing 4 beginning in mid Nov, with a minor calf injury.
So, in 5 seasons he has missed 13 games due to injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the contract numbers, I'm not exactly giddy about this signing. In a rather reluctent manner, I will once again to defer to the Trifecta on this one. A part of me is just screaming deep within me saying that Jake Grove is going to be another Justin Smiley. Given his age, injury history, and contract numbers... Grove had damn well better live up to the Trifecta's standards.

one thing to remember with Groves is that Oakland has had a different OL coach every year he's been with the team (I think). Cable was the first one in Grove's career that lasted more than one year and that is who Grove played the best under.

After seeing the contract numbers, I'm not exactly giddy about this signing. In a rather reluctent manner, I will once again to defer to the Trifecta on this one. A part of me is just screaming deep within me saying that Jake Grove is going to be another Justin Smiley. Given his age, injury history, and contract numbers... Grove had damn well better live up to the Trifecta's standards.
The funny thing is that Jake Grove was actually taken with the pick right before Smiley in the 2004 draft.

Oh snap! proves one again the ignorance of some posters. great vid finds.
So because he made a few nice blocks, that proves that all the skeptics of this signing are ignorant. Gotcha.

Back
Top Bottom