Merged: Jason Cole: "Ricky will return.."/If Ricky comes back, he's here to stay? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jason Cole: "Ricky will return.."/If Ricky comes back, he's here to stay?

nick19991 said:
weed is illegal and you would if caught using it
Not true....I know plenty of people that have been caught with the hippie lettuce and have gotten in no trouble at all. I no even more people that have failed drug tests and not only got in no trouble, but kept there jobs. You're not very likely to get in any kind of trouble if you are caught smoking, or have small amounts of it on you. You'll get in trouble if you have large amounts, and/or trying to sell it.

J Tes said:
Not true....I know plenty of people that have been caught with the hippie lettuce and have gotten in no trouble at all. I no even more people that have failed drug tests and not only got in no trouble, but kept there jobs. You're not very likely to get in any kind of trouble if you are caught smoking, or have small amounts of it on you. You'll get in trouble if you have large amounts, and/or trying to sell it.
:confused: ?..I don't know what kind of jobs they work..but lets hope they don't involve the safety of other people in what they do. I get drug tested for my job...like alot of people I know...and if I failed one...even for weed...I would get a 1yr suspension with no pay...and forced to seek some sort of help...and the next time would be a pink slip..no questions asked...go walk up to a police officer smoking some and see if he just smiles and lets you go..lol...

NYPhinFan said:
:confused: ?..I don't know what kind of jobs they work..but lets hope they don't involve the safety of other people in what they do. I get drug tested for my job...like alot of people I know...and if I failed one...even for weed...I would get a 1yr suspension with no pay...and forced to seek some sort of help...and the next time would be a pink slip..no questions asked...go walk up to a police officer smoking some and see if he just smiles and lets you go..lol...
Listen, I hate weed. I wont even take the chance of going to a party that I think people may be smoking. But what in the hell is a cop going to do to you if you walked up to him stoned? Especially if you have none on you or anything to smoke it with. And where the hell does your stupid question come from? Who ever said that you could walk up to a cop smoking and he would let you off? Like I said I hate weed, but if you got caught smoking it, got caught with small amounts on you, or got caught with it in your system, you're not going to jail for the rest of your life like some have made it sound. Plus my original post was to someone that said if you fail a drug test you are going to jail. I couldnt care less what your works drug policy is. Every place of employment has there own rules and policies, and most govern themselves. And even at your place of employment you arent getting fired after one failed drug test, and you also arent going to jail.

First of all you need to relax about the name calling and stuff..no where in my post did I call you stupid or question your intelligence. All I did was read your post and voice my concern with some of your points. In that particular post your exact words were you knew plenty of people who got caught with it and got in no trouble at all..caught by who? Also you said you were not very likely to get into ANY kind of trouble if you got caught smoking and even if you had small amounts on you. Those statements are the ones that had me confused. I believe that if you have some on you and are caught...you will get in trouble(not a life long sentence)..amd MOST employers would have a problem with employees who did smoke and failed drug tests.

mjwenz said:
Good, he can fetch Ronnie some water on the sidelines.

:roflmao: Yeah, but what a deal for him, even at the vet minimum....Heck, I'd fetch Browns water for $656,000 a year...

If Ricky does come back how will we use him? Do you guys think ,if he comes back playing like he was before, he left that he and Brown will split carries?

Lets examine some of the IFs involved in RW coming back again, so everyone can see them again....

1) If he wants to come back.
2) If he wants work under the rules of the league (which he has shown that to be difficult).
3) If he does in fact work out a deal with the league for his reinstatement and punishment for the last positive drug test (probably the 4 game suspension and increased testing by the league that seems apparent).
4) If Saban really wants him back (meaning, if he can really convince Saban that he wants to come back).
5) If he can work out a financial pact...I would think that his old contract would now be null and void...but even if it isn't, there is the arbitrators ruling and repayment of the judgement. Now I fully suspect that there will be a concession on the part of the Fins, so don't hold your breath that he "repays" the $8.6m...The other issue is how will he fit into the cap...we are ok on the cap now but clearly have other needs...if we sign Traylor and Law (for example) and then our rookies..will there be enough money left for him...probably not...so who do you want to see cut in order for us to sign him ???
6) If he can regain the purportedly lost muscle mass. Now, the fact that he probably has to serve the 4 game suspension will give him additional time to regain his mass, and get back into playing shape...He'll struggle in camp, particularly if he really has lost 30 pounds...But again, the additional time and being allowed to work his way back into shape by not having to tote the ball 30 times a game will help and he may even be carrying more and more of the load towards the end of the season (assuming everything goes right). My biggest concern here is the injury factor...it is pretty common to see guys in his predicament (coming back after time off and having to regain mass, etc) to have injuries....
7) Can he regain his teammates respect...this is not a major issue, as wins and 125 yard games (whether that be by RW or RB) will make this a non-issue, but there will be lockerroom trysts and issues to deal with...whether these get to be public knowledge or not is questionable...but it'll have to be dealt with...please spare me the "these guys are professionals" crap...They'll be issues with some of the guys...How public it gets is another thing.

Can these things be overcome...sure...Would I like to see RW running again like 2002...absolutely...will there always be some doubt as to how long he will continue on his comeback...definitely...that and injury are the two things that scare me the most...How devastating to most of us would it be for him to come back and be doing well and then get injured or come back and be doing well and take of for India or Pakistan or wherever again in the middle of the season...Too many ifs that can't be confirmed by me...will I look forward to his coming back...yea...will I be concerned that it is only short-lived...yea....scary thoughts...

weisdolphins said:
If Ricky does come back how will we use him? Do you guys think ,if he comes back playing like he was before, he left that he and Brown will split carries?

If he comes back and is effective in practice, I think his role will be slightly more than merely providing a breather for ronnie. I think it is very possible that they will both have a significant role the the week to week game plan. When ronnie was drafted Saban cited his ability to lead block, Why? I think that Ricky could possibly get 10 - 15 carries every week with some of those carries with ronnie still in the backfield when the ball is snapped. And I'm not talking strictly about misdirection stuff. Why else would Saban mention ronnie's lead blocking skills? (Saban who measures every word as if it's the state of the union address) that's 120-180 carries over a 12 game stretch which is a nice amount for a back up)

Wait till Ricky breaks a 60 yarder to win a game! We'll see if you still hate him.
I bet your asses will be jumping along w/ everyone elses!

Then the "I'm Back" t's will go like hotcakes.

gr8slayer said:
I cant say I completely disagree with you but it is possible for people to change. I think that we as fans tend to forget that these guys are 21-25 years of age and will make mistakes. Im quite sure that Ricky regrets all he has done and if given the chance would do things alot differently.

What if he does come back and you can have two thousand yard backs? Hell even if he comes back and has 500 yards playing behind Brown that will up his value and he can be traded for a second rounder instead of a sixth or seventh. In the end the Dolphins of Miami win no matter which route Ricky takes. He could be a great situational RB on third and short, or even on the goal line.

With all of Browns potential he is no where near the strength and power of Ricky Williams, even a Ricky that has been out of football for a year. Brown also is not as polished as Williams. Perhaps Ronnie could even learn a thing or two about how to play the game from Ricky? Never hurts to have an experienced mentor by your side when your 22 year old Ronnie Brown.

I never said it wasn't possible for Ricky to change, I am arguing that it is not plausible. Apparently you completely ignored the pith of my argument, which stated that there is a large risk in accepting Ricky back into the fold. Again, I want to reiterate my belief (undoubtedly shared by the majority of fans) that Williams is an extremely talented player. However, to ignore his past behaviouyr and not view it as a serious liability would be remiss. Your argument for taking Ricky back, or taking Ricky over any other back in the NFL (as you stated in an earlier post) disregards the associated risks from bringing him back. Of course it is possible that he runs for 1500 yds, 1000, yds etc, but it is also possible (and more likely) that he could do a lot of damage to this team. It is possible (again, even likely) that he coul,d walk out on the team. The success of a football team , more than any of the other team sports (with the exception of ice hockey perhaps), is highly dependent on team chemistry, sacrifice and "buying into the system". You may think this is hackneyed, but just look at the NE PAtriots' success the last few years for cogent evidence.
Even the most talented of players can cause harm to their teams. Owens and Moss are examples of extremely gifted players who have failed to deliver championships. I'm not suggesting the Vikes or the Eagles have failed becasue of these players' actions, but they have made it difficult to succeed, especially on a consistent basis. Look no further than Ryan Leaf as an example of a very gifted player who cuased an organisation tremendous tumult because of his personal problems. Ricky's problems are pretty serious, and I hope he gets help, but to ignore those problems in the hope that he may help your organisation would be neglectful.

Section126 said:
Jason Cole on SUN Sports 4 minutes ago just said: "Look, the people I have talked too have told me that he is DEFINATELY coming back in July...he will serve his 4 game suspension and will be in uniform...the question is if he will be an effective player again." (Paraphrasing)

HAVE AT IT.......

If this does happen, and Ricky is productive, it may start the what if's on drafting Edwards instead. I am happy they got Brown, because I don't think Ricky will stay long if he does come back, or they may trade him. But I can see the stuff coming if Ricky starts, and Brown gets little playing time...

J Tes said:
Last time I read this garbage it was fellow Dolfans telling us all how Ricky's drug use wasnt a proplem and wouldnt effect the team at all. Hmmm. Guess they were wrong.

Grow up and get a clue. Drugs make you weak and moreover the "hippie Lettuce" is currently illegal. If you are going to live in the greatest country on the planet respect its laws and don't be the weak link. :wink:

NYPhinFan said:

No kidding. This attitude peeves me. It's like the immature, selfish bus driver that smokes a little weed while driving around a bus load of kids.

Or the Running Back trusted with a huge investment by the team.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Last time I read this garbage it was fellow Dolfans telling us all how Ricky's drug use wasnt a proplem and wouldnt effect the team at all. Hmmm. Guess they were wrong.

Grow up and get a clue. Drugs make you weak and moreover the "hippie Lettuce" is currently illegal. If you are going to live in the greatest country on the planet respect its laws and don't be the weak link. :wink:

Some people can't handle a drink....some can't handle caffeine....some can't handle marijuana. It may make you and Ricky weak, but that does not mean it has that effect on everyone. I have "a friend" who has worked since he was twelve years old, paid his way through college, got married, bought a home, and pays taxes on his above average income every year while being a daily pot smoker. Lumping people into categories never works regardless of what you are debating.....

poornate said:
Some people can't handle a drink....some can't handle caffeine....some can't handle marijuana. It may make you and Ricky weak, but that does not mean it has that effect on everyone. I have "a friend" who has worked since he was twelve years old, paid his way through college, got married, bought a home, and pays taxes on his above average income every year while being a daily pot smoker. Lumping people into categories never works regardless of what you are debating.....
yes it does, 90% of everything you use and interact with on a daily basis wouldn't be possible if people weren't lumped into categories for certain reasons.

Sorry, I hate the hippies that use that type of excuse. People are different, people are categorized...face the scientific facts people (completely non-racial, just an example that pops in my head, but how many black olympic swimmers you know of?)

Back
Top Bottom