MERGED: Jeff Ireland interview, "killed it". | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Jeff Ireland interview, "killed it".

New winds are blowing into Miami for this football team, and it's felt by just about everyone. It's exciting to see lots of coaches, fans, and players upbeat about the future. Tannehill said, upon reviewing the playbook, that about 75% of it looked familiar to him from A&M days. That is incredible and also means after some studying of the other 25% of that book that it will be up to him to win the job with his mental and physical skills.

I've noticed this in a few interviews but this one more than any is where he seems to be loosening up. I've heard this before on here but I really think the first few years he was trying to be like Parcells and now he's allowing his own personality to come out in interviews. I think he feels real good about this draft, at one point he say's "we killed it" referring to the draft picks. listen for yourself http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...-Ireland/5b5308cb-1775-4b7c-8215-8bf9fb326b87

He's certainly loosened up. I've been noticing over his past several interviews. I think they (he) finally came to the conclusion that better PR is certainly the way to go.

Well he should be more relaxed at this point. The draft is behind him and the lead up to that has to be the most stressful part of the job. I like what he said that "if we set up our board correctly then we killed it". So he is totally stoked about our draft. If these guys flop then he has placed the blame right where it belongs...on him. He set the board up. There is no Parcells pulling the strings now just Jeff Ireland. For the record, I think they killed it too.

Jeff has no choice. He can be the iceman all he wants as far as business is concerned, but I'm willing to bet word from the top is directing him to be a bit more fan friendly with an eye towards improving perceptions both on the field and off.

Good for him he deserves some credit...............

92+% of FH seems to think he did at least a good job. When do you find that much positive agreement regarding ANYTHING Jeff Ireland does??? Gotta give the man credit for finally having the nerve to do something Miami hasn't done in decades (drafting a QB in the 1st round) and finding great value with most of our picks. We had needs and they were all met, can't argue with that. Of course we won't know the results of it for sometime, but that's true of every draft!

2012 Draft=FIST PUMPS! I haven't been this excited about a new class for a long time.

Glad to see some confidence from the Dolphins. For years it seemed like the front office/ coaching staff always had their tails tucked between their legs.

We found great value with most of our picks, outside of the quarterback, unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of Oliver Vernon either, but I definitely think that Martin, Miller and Egnew will help a lot bot this year and going forward.
I really hope that I'm wrong about Tannehill, but I have never seen a very good NFL quarterback in him. At the end of the day though, fair or not, the percieved success of this entire draft class will hinge on the QB. Even if every other player drafted this year busts and Tannehill becomes a great player, we can be in contention for years to come. On the flip side, even if every other player drafted becomes a good to great player but Tannehill busts, we are still SOL until we find a QB. That's how important QB is in the NFL today... So again, I hope I'm wrong.

The operative word for any team's 2012 draft is "if", and that's especially true for the teams that picked QBs in the top ten. The chances of Luck, Griffin, AND Tannehill all becoming successful NFL QBs range between slim and none.
  • The last time a draft yielded 3 top ten picks was in 1999 when Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Akili Smith came out. Only McNabb was successful.
  • Some drafts yield no successful QBs (2002, 2007).
  • Most drafts yield only one good/great starting QB, and frequently the best one doesn't come from the Top Ten or even from the first round (Brady 2000, Brees 2001, Rodgers 2005, Cutler 2006).
  • Only a few drafts yield two decent/good/great starters (2000, 2001, 2005, 2008).
  • The last draft to yield 3 or more good/great starting QBs was 2004 when E Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Schaub (3rd rounder) all came out.
  • The next-to-last draft to yield 3 or more good/great starting was 1983 with Elway, Kelly, Marino, and O'Brien.

I have to admitt, this is one of the best drafts (on paper at least) we've had in years... The only suprise was the fact we drafted a RB (Miller) vs a CB or S... Miller was a great value in the 4th so I aint mad, and we can roll with Davis, Smith, Marshall, Carroll and Wilson at CB... as for Safety, we'll see what happens, I think that's the biggest weakness on our team right now, that and maybe our recieving core as a whole.

Ireland is talking about the value on their board and if so then yes he killed it.

Back
Top Bottom