Merged:Matt Jones, WR or TE?/Matt Jones in 2nd round !! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Matt Jones, WR or TE?/Matt Jones in 2nd round !!

2,500 + rushing yards in the SEC in 4 years as a QB is unbelievable being that he's a White boy.

2,500 + rushing yards in the SEC in 4 years as a QB is unbelievable being that he's a White boy.

More accurately, 4.37 in the 40 at 6'6" tall is incredible being that he's a white boy. Knowing those stats, its easy to see how he ended up with 2500 yards rushing.

just cause someone is big and fast doesnt mean they can dominate as a WR... the most important attributes of a WR is route running ability and hands... also agility is important, jones will never be able to run up the field if CBs are playing him 10 yards off each time because he doesn't have the footwork to disguise that out pattern and agility to stop on a dime and change direction...

i dont know i think he'll be aight, just dont hype him too much...

WR, the guys athletic ability is almost scarey. That big and running that fast, will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft

You know what's funny? The Matt actually did the QB and WR workouts at the combine! He looked extrememly comfortable throwing the ball. He had good velocity and is HUGE! He probably had the softest hands out of all of the players at the combine.

This is just one of those guys that can probably do it all. He will definitely be an asset to any team who drafts him because, though not a great QB, he played QB in college. He can save a team at least one spot on the roster because of his possibility of being a 3rd string QB. This guy is a MONSTER athlete! I wish Miami had a chance at him, but there is just no way. He is definitely a first day pick, if not a first rounder. Mark my words.

Jones went into college and was recruited as a WR. He could easily have started at WR at Arkansas if he wanted to. So, while it may take him a while in running routes, he has the discipline to get the job done. Route running is a key - but the real key to that is discipline, training, and athletic ability.

Jones is not just an athlete, however, he has great football instincts.

WR is definitely his position - he doesn't have the bulk or power to play TE.

The comparison to McCaffrey was not unfair - b/c it noted Jones would be a faster McCaffrey. It is similar in that both have tall, lanky, athletic bodies. All Jones will need is a year or two at WR, plus some luck in remaining healthy, and he'll be a big time playmaker in the NFL.

Another work out warrior, who has never played receiver. Players moving to other positions is always a crap shoot. Can he run solid routes, or is he simply going to be a post pattern receiver. It takes much more that running fast to be a great receiver. Bob Hayes was the fastest man on the planet, but was only an average receiver.

how about mike williams and braylon edwards have played the position for 2 and 3 years.

gimme a break.

I disagree. The NFL Network showed him lining up as a wideout at the senior bowl and he turned the defender, who was playing 10 yards off of him, completely around. He knew to eat up the space before making his move. When the defender played tight, he muscled through the check and burned by him. They also showed an Oronde like 1 handed grab in the end zone. If Saban moved to the bottom of the first round, I would have no problem with him being the pick.

arsenal said:
because he doesn't have the footwork to disguise that out pattern and agility to stop on a dime and change direction.....

:confused: :confused: :shakeno:

Jones has tremendous agility. He's made a lot of players fall down from cuts in the open field. He will have to learn route running to some degree, but this analysis above is obviously prejudicial.

have you seen this guy play?...he can do it all "white slash"...he can pass, run and catch...hes a superb athlete...you put him at TE or WR he will be a beast...give him a couple of years and everyone will be like drew bennett who?

I hope we get him somehow. Chambers Booker and Matt Jones in the slot...that spells death...and not to mention Randy McMikey tearing it up the middle...sweet.

He would be a better TE, IMO. He would be used like Gates. Split him out wide against a LB and it's over.

I say leave him at wr...the guys faster than 3/4 the nfl as it is anyway and no 5''8 180 lb. cb wants to cover a 6''6 240 lb. recieving monster

Back
Top Bottom