MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

Would you be ok with the Miami Dolphins drafting a gay player?

I want to see this franchise win a Super Bowl at some point in my life. I couldn't care less about a dude being gay- can he play football and will he help the Miami Dolphins win? If so, draft him. If not, don't. That's it.

Imagine that first opposing player to get blown up by Michael Sam.

Poor guy might commit suicide because of all the ridicule he'll receive from social media.

Also I think Sam will go undrafted and will have to work twice as hard to earn a roster spot.

Michael Sam just came out of the closet publicly. We don't need another DE and from watching his film he doesn't seem like a great football player either. I think he will be drafted or signed after the draft, specially now that he is openly gay.

My question is... would you be ok with him or any other gay player playing for this team?

Personally, I think everyone who merits being in the NFL should be free to play regardless of their background, but I do think it will cause a lot of drama in the locker room with awkward questioning of players regarding their gay teammate.

What do you guys think? Would you buy his jersey? Would you stop being a Dolphins fan?

If he helped Miami make the playoffs then I don't care what he does. If they were 2-14 and he wasn't a good player on the team I'd be all for them releasing him. Bottom line is his personal life has no affect on me or his play (assuming) so there's no sense for me to care.

Now if he was a dog killer like Vick? I said before I'd stop being a Dolphins fan if they signed Vick.

Dolphins players react to first openly gay football player news

I actually think his timing is brilliant. He knows that the media is supporting him, and you know the NFL will urge teams to be accepting of a gay player. They badly want that for PR reasons.

If he goes undrafted now, it looks bad on all the teams. He will get drafted, guaranteed.

He also doesn't have to evade questions during the combine or draft process, it's all out in the open.

If he was a lesser draft prospect, I could see it hurting him, but he had a draftable grade going into this, so the media support behind him will make at least one GM try to make a splash by drafting him.

Manti Teo had one of the weirdest pre-draft stories I can remember and he still got drafted highly.

You have to be pretty ignorant to think that teams that routinely draft drug dealers, rapists, drug abusers, wife beaters, drunk drivers, etc. are going to not draft a guy because he is gay.

And by the way, any guy in those lockerroom that has a problem with a gay teammate on religious grounds is a straight up hypocrite because they are surrounded by adulterers and sexual deviants all the time and seemingly have no issues with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you would.

It really is too bad we're moving on from a world in which people have to hide who they are. It was totally awesome back when they were hidden enough no one had to think about them.

I had openly gay friends when I lived in Miami. Doesn't mean I'd like to shower with them smart guy.

Abramson retweeted this. Gillislee made this statement shortly after the news broke. I suppose there is a chance he wasn't talking about this, but considering his twitter profile is a giant picture of Jesus with the words BLESSED in his bio, I'd say there is a good possibility he was reacting to the news of a gay football player.

Gillislee deleted the tweet and then did the whole "sorry if I offended" bit, but he also didn't offer any support to Michael Sam, so... yeah. :lol:

At least he didn't say he was hacked. The "I was totally talking about something else" thing is right up there, though.

I actually think his timing is brilliant. He knows that the media is supporting him, and you know the NFL will urge teams to be accepting of a gay player. They badly want that for PR reasons.

If he goes undrafted now, it looks bad on all the teams. He will get drafted, guaranteed.

He also doesn't have to evade questions during the combine or draft process, it's all out in the open.

If he was a lesser draft prospect, I could see it hurting him, but he had a draftable grade going into this, so the media support behind him will make at least one GM try to make a splash by drafting him.

Manti Teo had one of the weirdest pre-draft stories I can remember and he still got drafted highly.

You have to be pretty ignorant to think that teams that routinely draft drug dealers, rapists, drug abusers, wife beaters, drunk drivers, etc. are going to not draft a guy because he is gay.

And by the way, any guy in those lockerroom that has a problem with a gay teammate on religious grounds is a straight up hypocrite because they are surrounded by adulterers and sexual deviants all the time and seemingly have no issues with that

Fair points.

I'd just like to add I don't think he'll go undrafted due to his sexual preference, but more so because he's limited as a player.

Experts say he may go between rounds 3-5. If he's still on the board by round 5 I could easily see teams pass on him.

Also this will be much bigger than Manti Teo, and unfortunately will carry much more scrutiny.

I wish him the best though.

Could care less.

48 tackles, 19 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 1 FR for a TD

[video=youtube;vsdyJczbp48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdyJczbp48[/video]

That's all I see. Wouldn't mind spending a 3rd or 4th on him.

Let the media have their fun, we'll just have a dominant D-Line.

He might be the openly gay person in the draft, but I'm pretty sure Esera Tuaolo was openly gay with Green Bay in the 90s.

everyone said that about the NBA player how he will definitely get a contract or it will look bad. Guess what happened.

Teo is a different story because just got played and his play dropped due to the mental hit he took. Not to mention he went from possible top 10 pick to 2nd rounder.

He will get drafted but not by a lower teir team that needs a guy to come in and play because he comes with distractions. look for him to drop a couple round from his projections and get picked up by a team where he will probably be a 3rd stringer. He hurt his stock big because as much as the nfl likes media the teams dont unless it is good for the team.

Like it or not religion plays a huge role in a lot of pro players lives so they wont agree with it. And then there are guys who just wont feel comfortable about it. ask any girl if they would feel comfortable with a guy in their locker room. majority will be uncomfortable.

Its not as simple as just accepting gays. I accept gays and don't have a problem with them but would i feel uncomfortable changing next to or showing with him, probably. Are you gonna make 50+ guys feel uncomfortable to allow 1 feel accepted? Thats the GM's call

He's not really that good...very one dimensional as a pass rusher and flat terrible vs the run...situational rusher in the nfl that better develop some counter

So you're saying we're going to package our 1st and 2nd to move up to get him?

I'd be OK with a homosaxshull as long as he's a pitcher and not a catcher like Jonathan Martin. Let him be queer at wilton station, not in the locker room.

Then again, we have no say, so whatever.

Back
Top Bottom