MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

What an idiotic business move by this kid.

It is not appropriate nor necessary to disclose your sexual orientation to an employer, nor the country!

If I was an NFL organization I would stay clear from this draft prospect, not because he is gay, but because he is not even in the NFL and he is NATIONAL NEWS.

Did you even listen to the interview? He said that rather than rumors spreading about it, he wanted people to hear it from his own mouth.

Mostly all gay people would take exception to that.

They believe they are born gay.

A few friends of mine are gay and it wasn't a choice for them to either choose whether they like men or women. It's not just a "flip a coin and see what happens" thing.

I wish him the very best in his career. Look forward to him landing in a supportive professional team who don't care about this kind of distraction.

That doesn't exactly describe Miami though, if we did draft him it would be 3 days before the first "scandalous" reports were "leaked" by "journalists" Kelly, Beasley, LaCanfora, Kiper or Salguero.

I believe he's a little bit undersized for a defensive lineman at the next level. Also I think you're selling short the significance of this announcement and the hesitation many NFL executives and head coaches will have to willingly attach themselves to such a polarizing topic. In blunt terms, many expect a huge drop in Sam's draft stock.

http://m.si.com/3861060/what-nfl-execs-are-saying/

Thank for posting this, but it's terribly disappointing.

So a bunch of college kids were able to make it work to the point Sam praised their support and acceptance, but NFL players (grown men) who are paid millions of dollars aren't ready?

I couldnt care less. I'd rather have a good gay football player on my team that some caveman like Incognito shoving golf clubs up female volunteers or complete wussbags like Martin. I don't care if the guy is straight, gay, bi, transexual, has a fetish for goats, whatever, as long as they can perform on the field.

Heck, if Nick Mangold's sister wants to get a sex change and play in the NFL, I'd sign her up to play on the Dolphins OL in a nanosecond.

Thanks Scape, now I don't have to write a diatribe. This pretty much sums it up for me. I don't care who you screw, play like a champ and you will have my full support. Heck, having a bad ass gay guy crushing quarterbacks could bring on a whole new level of trash talking! "Tom Brady just got Homogenized!" I like it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

After the Martin-Cogs thing drafting a gay player is the last thing our team needs.This team has have enough drama already. Why bring more.

Ozzy rules!

A lot less GM's than you think will take a chance on a guy who will more likely be a role player. Its not like he is the honey badger and would be the best at his position if it wasn't for a story. He is a 3rd-5th rounder. team will probably shy away from it for a round or so so say 5-7th round. Why would a GM be chomping at the bit to bring in a role player who is gonna bring a circus to town with a bunch of distractions

How i see it is why do you have to make a media spectacle out of it? He could have just waited got drafted based on his skill instead of sexual preference and dealt with it internally with his team. Makes no sense unless he wants to be that center of attention guy and be that guy who was the first. That usually not a desirable quality unless you have proved yourself first.

IMO horrible way of handling it and it could cost him dearly. Even if it just drops him a round in the draft that's a salary difference that will definitely hurt his pocket.

You realize there wouldn't BE a media spectacle if people would just accept others as they are and allow them to live openly instead of living a lie? The reason it's a story is because there are still people out there that would rather people like Sam live in hiding, so the interaction between he and those people becomes the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem with it. In fact I think his draft status slides bc of this and the "distraction" factor.
Fins should grab him late if that is the case, he led the SEC in sacks, he can play football.
It will be a distraction for a little while. The same media assholes calling him a "pioneer" or "hero" will be the first snakes asking every teammate how they feel about it. Thus, making it a distraction, trying to get a story out of a teammate or coach.
Im sure more gay NFL players will come out after this **** storm passes

Thank for posting this, but it's terribly disappointing.

So a bunch of college kids were able to make it work to the point Sam praised their support and acceptance, but NFL players (grown men) who are paid millions of dollars aren't ready?

Unfortunately he is right.
NFL locker rooms are trained to not be a "distraction" This will in fact be a distraction. I don't think it is a real distraction at all, but coaches hate distractions, owners don't like polarizing topics.
Obviously Sam's teammates at Mizzou weren't "distracted" they went to the SEC championship..

We dont need the distraction.

Let him go to the Jets...there TE could use his help.

You realize there wouldn't BE a media spectacle if people would just accept others as they are and allow them to live openly instead of living a lie? The reason it's a story is because there are still people out there that would rather people like Sam live in hiding, so the interaction between he and those people becomes the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesnt matter because thats the way it is like it or not. You bring in the guy who isnt anything special you get the media distraction. Along with that you get players who dont feel comfortable and are off there game. Eventually you get guys who are too uncomfortable they ask for a trade, free agents that have options who may not feel comfortable go elsewhere.

Its not like he is the top player and the upside is greater than the down side. You think Jackie Robinson in a similar situation. He was a great player while Micheal Sam is just an average player that teams can get very similar guys elsewhere without the baggage.

Back
Top Bottom