MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

Would you be ok with the Miami Dolphins drafting a gay player?

I don't know anything about him as a prospect, but the only hesitation I would have is if he turns out to not be good, which happens with draft picks. If he gets cut or benched it'll be another scandal in the eyes of our idiotic press. If you thought the Incognito Martin non story was an invention of yellow journalism, just wait and see what happens if Sam is just another draft bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I had openly gay friends when I lived in Miami. Doesn't mean I'd like to shower with them smart guy.

But you don't mind showering with straight men? I'm not sure what the difference is. If you're in the same locker room shower with a bunch of openly gay men, they're probably going to be more into each other than into you.

everyone said that about the NBA player how he will definitely get a contract or it will look bad. Guess what happened.

Teo is a different story because just got played and his play dropped due to the mental hit he took. Not to mention he went from possible top 10 pick to 2nd rounder.

He will get drafted but not by a lower teir team that needs a guy to come in and play because he comes with distractions. look for him to drop a couple round from his projections and get picked up by a team where he will probably be a 3rd stringer. He hurt his stock big because as much as the nfl likes media the teams dont unless it is good for the team.

Like it or not religion plays a huge role in a lot of pro players lives so they wont agree with it. And then there are guys who just wont feel comfortable about it. ask any girl if they would feel comfortable with a guy in their locker room. majority will be uncomfortable.

Its not as simple as just accepting gays. I accept gays and don't have a problem with them but would i feel uncomfortable changing next to or showing with him, probably. Are you gonna make 50+ guys feel uncomfortable to allow 1 feel accepted? Thats the GM's call

Jason Collins was like 40 years old. He probably wasn't going to be signed by anyone regardless. This is a completely different thing. This is a player at the beginning of his career with good upside. A GM will definitely take a chance on that if they feel he can develop into a solid starter.

And again, the religion thing is all BS of they are all too willing to accept all the adulterers and sexual deviants in their lockerroom. Some of these guys play with guys who have like 6 different kids with 6 different women. How come we never hear a religious football player speak out against them?

Jason Collins was like 40 years old. He probably wasn't going to be signed by anyone regardless. This is a completely different thing. This is a player at the beginning of his career with good upside. A GM will definitely take a chance on that if they feel he can develop into a solid starter.

And again, the religion thing is all BS of they are all too willing to accept all the adulterers and sexual deviants in their lockerroom. Some of these guys play with guys who have like 6 different kids with 6 different women. How come we never hear a religious football player speak out against them?

A lot less GM's than you think will take a chance on a guy who will more likely be a role player. Its not like he is the honey badger and would be the best at his position if it wasn't for a story. He is a 3rd-5th rounder. team will probably shy away from it for a round or so so say 5-7th round. Why would a GM be chomping at the bit to bring in a role player who is gonna bring a circus to town with a bunch of distractions

How i see it is why do you have to make a media spectacle out of it? He could have just waited got drafted based on his skill instead of sexual preference and dealt with it internally with his team. Makes no sense unless he wants to be that center of attention guy and be that guy who was the first. That usually not a desirable quality unless you have proved yourself first.

IMO horrible way of handling it and it could cost him dearly. Even if it just drops him a round in the draft that's a salary difference that will definitely hurt his pocket.

Look at all the crap in NFL locker rooms. You have rapists, drug addicts, gangsters and wife beaters, just to name a few. A person being gay is not like those other things. Some people act like a person being gay is just horrible. It's a persons own choice. Just because I am not gay doesn't mean I look down on gay people. Some of you people need to learn acceptance and act like an adult.

This is a player at the beginning of his career with good upside. A GM will definitely take a chance on that if they feel he can develop into a solid starter.
I believe he's a little bit undersized for a defensive lineman at the next level. Also I think you're selling short the significance of this announcement and the hesitation many NFL executives and head coaches will have to willingly attach themselves to such a polarizing topic. In blunt terms, many expect a huge drop in Sam's draft stock.

http://m.si.com/3861060/what-nfl-execs-are-saying/

The executives and coaches (8 of them) were granted anonymity by SI.com for their honesty. Their answers were consistently unsparing.

“I don’t think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet,” said an NFL player personnel assistant. “In the coming decade or two, it’s going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it’s still a man’s-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It’d chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room.”

All the NFL personnel members interviewed believed that Sam’s announcement will cause him to drop in the draft. He was projected between the third and seventh rounds prior to the announcement. The question is: How far will he fall?

"I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down,” said a veteran NFL scout. “There’s no question about it. It’s human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote ‘break that barrier?"

“You’re going to have to have one confident general manager or head coach that is certainly entrenched in his position and established to draft a player like that,” the assistant personnel director said. “It’s one thing to have Chris Kluwe or Brendon Ayanbadejo, advocates for gay rights, on your team. It’s another to have a current confirmed player.”

“There are guys in locker rooms that maturity-wise cannot handle it or deal with the thought of that,” the assistant coach said. “There’s nothing more sensitive than the heartbeat of the locker room. If you knowingly bring someone in there with that sexual orientation, how are the other guys going to deal with it? It’s going to be a big distraction. That’s the reality. It shouldn’t be, but it will be.”

I respect both reactions. Although I'm religious I tend to agree with Grimes. Personally it wouldn't bug me either way.

I believe Wallace is religious and I believe he is entitled to his opinion as well.

Look at all the crap in NFL locker rooms. You have rapists, drug addicts, gangsters and wife beaters, just to name a few. A person being gay is not like those other things. Some people act like a person being gay is just horrible. It's a persons own choice. Just because I am not gay doesn't mean I look down on gay people. Some of you people need to learn acceptance and act like an adult.
Mostly all gay people would take exception to that.

They believe they are born gay.

I could careless if he was gay, black, purple, or straight. I'm a conservative, but I approve of gay marriage, since half of my family are lesbians. As long as he produces on the football field, I'm down for it.

No. We don't need the ****ing drama. We have had enough already.

Big mistake on his part. Look at the basketball player who came out as gay when he was a free agent... still a free agent.

No matter how the players feel about it a GM wont want to bring him in because it will turn the locker room into a media circus because all that makes is more distractions. And as a dolphins fan it was clear last year that distractions aren't very good for a team.

^This. Right or wrong this guy is going to cause a media circus and a problem in the locker room. Let him go to some other team...

Who in the blue hell cares what he, where he's from, what nationality he is as long as he can play good football. ****, all teams have drama. Not too long ago the Seahawks were embroiled in steroid issues. Look where they are now.

The main reasons why Jason Collins hasn't found a contract since he came out are that he's 35 and averages fewer than 4 points and 4 rebounds per game for his career. Of course if a team signs/drafts an openly gay player they have to deal with the inevitable media firestorm that surrounds him and a snide remark from another player or coach here and from a media figure there. Not to mention the abuse opposing players would give out (particularly on a football field). All that said, it is certainly possible that a lot of owners, GMs, and coaches just decided that it wasn't worth dealing with all that for a guy who is well past his prime. Now if we're talking about someone like Chris Paul coming out and not finding work, then something is definitely wrong. Michael Sam's situation is different since he is projected as a mid-round prospect. As long as he doesn't completely bomb at the combine and in his pre-draft interviews, he should get drafted. But if he does fine there and ends up going undrafted, then it's definitely something to think about.

I could careless if he was gay, black, purple, or straight. I'm a conservative, but I approve of gay marriage, since half of my family are lesbians. As long as he produces on the football field, I'm down for it.

confusedo-1.gif

I mean, even if what you meant was half the women are lesbians... that's still a lot of lesbians. And if half the total number of people in your family are lesbians, then I'm really just baffled.

Back
Top Bottom