MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

This is a sign that things are changing when a player can be completely honest about this before the draft. I commend him for his honesty and guts. There are estimated to be over 50 gay players in the NFL, (not 1 or 2) and several are stars. I hope that Michael Sam is good enough to warrant getting drafted. This is a barrier that deserves to be smashed.
In some NFL circles, gay players have been known for a long time. Some will surprised that toughness and football talent have nothing to do with sexuality.

I highly doubt it's over 50.

Couldn't give a damn about a player's sexual preference. Hell, I respect the guy's honesty and his attempt to get out in front of it so that he can just focus on football. Good for him.

No difference at all, except that if they came out the media would create the biggest cluster**** since "bullygate." But I agree they should not have to hide who they are. I'm surprised by all the positive answers. I thought a lot more posters would go all Russia on me.

I think the real question is: if he became a dominant player, would you wear his jersey?

I think the real question is: if he became a dominant player, would you wear his jersey?

That's irrelevant because plenty of people will wear it even if he doesn't become a dominant player, simply because he came out of the closet. It goes both ways.

Each of the 31 teams that does not draft him, ESPN or some other rubbish news outlet will be calling the franchise homophobic..

Would you be ok with the Miami Dolphins drafting a gay player?

they already have, some time ago... old old news. anyone who thinks there haven't been any gay players in nearly 90yrs of pro football is fooling themselves. get over it.

The Fins will not draft him. The team has already had enough scrutiny and this player would be a lightning rod for the media to create more drama.
The player should just keep his preferences to himself and his immediate friends.

I know it's not PC but i long for the days of don't ask don't tell. The odds are some of the guys I showered along side at phys ed class or on the HS football team were in fact gay. If they were openly gay it certainly would have been very uncomfortable. I'd like to think i'm not homophobic but that's the truth.
I'm sure lots of the certain day players feel the same way.

What an idiotic business move by this kid.

It is not appropriate nor necessary to disclose your sexual orientation to an employer, nor the country!

If I was an NFL organization I would stay clear from this draft prospect, not because he is gay, but because he is not even in the NFL and he is NATIONAL NEWS.

I think it was a rhetorical question. I'm sure plenty of people won't wear it for that reason.

I'm sure plenty wouldn't, but to say that you wouldn't . . . means you think there's something shameful and/or embarrassing about it, and in my book, those people are bigots. Or am I missing something?

I know it's not PC but i long for the days of don't ask don't tell. The odds are some of the guys I showered along side at phys ed class or on the HS football team were in fact gay. If they were openly gay it certainly would have been very uncomfortable. I'd like to think i'm not homophobic but that's the truth.
I'm sure lots of the certain day players feel the same way.

I'm sure you would.

It really is too bad we're moving on from a world in which people have to hide who they are. It was totally awesome back when they were hidden enough no one had to think about them.

Back
Top Bottom