Merged: Moss trade has all kinds of merit / Is he worth it? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Moss trade has all kinds of merit / Is he worth it?

if we were to go after a bigtime receiver, why would it be moss over owens? i know moss is better than owens, but to give up ogun, madison and a pick or whatever the deal would be, why wouldnt it be better to trade for owens which would require much less,probably only a pick instead of moss. the 49ers have to get rid of owens. also, moss' contract is much bigger than owens. i still think we should draft a wr and build our o line through free agency, if we get a good line, chambers will continue to emerge and our 1st round wr will grow into our #2.

I've read the reports that include madison and ogunleye and at that price i'd send them to minny quick. Though an avid madison fan, I think the deal would be worth it. Any talks that include Chambers should be cussed at. Whats the sense in sending away our top reciever so that everyone can just double up on Moss once he gets here. Anyhow, back to the intelligent trade, if that goes thru we'd still have our first rounder to draft a QB named Rivers or even Henson to get the ball down to the 84 combo, we'd still be able to get the line help in the later round. Plus just an idea theres a decent end out there, just-released Marcellus WIley from San Diego. Hey this off-season seems like anything's possible.
:D

Well, like other wisemen have said in the past, I will believe it when I see it.

Is Moss really worth it ?

Yes.... Randy Moss is a very talented reciver but to me he has a T.O. (give me the ball) attitude and is that the sort of thing we need. Sure he would be an excellent upgrade next to chambers but if hes the kinda receiver like in MInnesota where he always wants the ball, this sordof thing would take away from Ricky, Chambers and the other players. I would want him for those reasons.

Your Thoughts

I agree with the descenting opinion of this thread.

Why give up the farm when you can use the 20th pick instead?? Why give up Ogunleye for half a player (since you'd include Madison and/or Chambers) when you can get two for him (in the form of draft picks)??

Why rob three positions of big talent and only get Moss in return?? Doesn't that leave you worse off than you started?? You could draft someone at #20, but you've given up so much more on defense.

Ogunleye potentially represents two high draft picks. Madison is still one of the best CBs in the league. If we traded them for Moss, you've just created a gaping hole at CB and lost out on the ability to draft young, relatively cheap talent.

And Chambers.....I thought the problem was that he lacked a complimentary receiver. Trading him for Moss leaves Moss in the same predicament.....and weakened on defense.

Ive just never been a fan of giving up a whole lot for a WR. Their success is so dependant on other variables. By nature, a WR depends on others to get him the ball. Whereas a QB or a RB get the ball automatically and can make plays on their own (in a matter of speaking). Same for offensive lineman. They block. That's it. Same for defensive players. They simply execute.

I don't mean that those other positions are easier jobs or anything....or that it doesn't take 11 men to get the job done. Just that a WR requires more of other players by default. And that's why I feel that spending big on a WR gets you the least in return.

I'd rather just stay put, fix the OL, draft a WR, and go from there.

Id take him he can talk all he wants but when someone produces 17 td's you have to sweep that under the carpet and deal with it.

id take him for madison, ogun, and a pick next year without a doubt.

losing ogun anyway for probably 2 picks, late first/third most likely, madison we were considering cutting anyway and he is older and fading with a huge contract (as opposed to a younger moss with a huge contract)... moss doesn't come around every draft, and whos to say rashaun woods or reggie williams doesnt flop. you have to overpay a little for one of the top talents in the game.

i would NOT include chambers at all, but i would go after moss hard with a package of ogun/madison and picks

If we were to get Moss...who would you then want to draft?? I would say if we filled our Oline and WR up in FA then just trade up in the draft and go for one of those 3 franchise QBs. Then we would be set.

First off, I read the usual articles, and I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about trading Chambers, so can someone please either point that out to me or can we drop the 'chambers' thing until we see it otherwise?

That said, Ogun & Madison for Moss is an intriguing deal but one I don't see likely to happen. Remember, we're looking at getting Woody with a reportedly potential 8mill signing bonus and I'm sure a high yearly salary.....and that only fills ONE guard position. We still have the other guard position to fill (through FA which won't come cheap) and we're either going to have to shell out a ton of money for Wade or else go out and look for a RT as well. That means we need a bare minium of 2 Oline men, probably 3 which won't come cheap. So, even if the potential trade of Ogun/Madison for Moss was acceptable we wouldn't be able to afford Moss while also getting who we want on the Oline which is our biggest concern,......next is the #2 WR.

I just don't see this happening unless we get some crappy Oline men through FA which don't demand a lot of money.....which I just don't see happening.

I think we'll be without Moss, signing Woody and James and someone else to fill Wade's spot.......letting Ogun go, picking up the additonal 1st and 3rd, and I also see at least one out of Minor/Greenwood/Sage going for an additional pick in the 3rd.....us using our 2 first to either trade up for an outstanding Oline man (Gallery) or else using them to acquire Eli/Rivers/Ben and also a WR (or 2) in the first.

We need a receiver with a give me the damn ball attitude....because if we got moss, we better give him the damn ball because we need to. I have no problems giving the ball to Moss. But, I beleive this deal when it goes through. Every single other deal has fallen short I dont see this being any different.

Originally posted by Muck
I agree with the descenting opinion of this thread.

Why give up the farm when you can use the 20th pick instead?? Why give up Ogunleye for half a player (since you'd include Madison and/or Chambers) when you can get two for him (in the form of draft picks)??

Why rob three positions of big talent and only get Moss in return?? Doesn't that leave you worse off than you started?? You could draft someone at #20, but you've given up so much more on defense.

Ogunleye potentially represents two high draft picks. Madison is still one of the best CBs in the league. If we traded them for Moss, you've just created a gaping hole at CB and lost out on the ability to draft young, relatively cheap talent.

And Chambers.....I thought the problem was that he lacked a complimentary receiver. Trading him for Moss leaves Moss in the same predicament.....and weakened on defense.

Ive just never been a fan of giving up a whole lot for a WR. Their success is so dependant on other variables. By nature, a WR depends on others to get him the ball. Whereas a QB or a RB get the ball automatically and can make plays on their own (in a matter of speaking). Same for offensive lineman. They block. That's it. Same for defensive players. They simply execute.

I don't mean that those other positions are easier jobs or anything....or that it doesn't take 11 men to get the job done. Just that a WR requires more of other players by default. And that's why I feel that spending big on a WR gets you the least in return.

I'd rather just stay put, fix the OL, draft a WR, and go from there.

Good Post. I agree with you. For the future of the team we are better off bringing in younger, cheaper talent. Particularly with this year's crop of wide receivers.

Originally posted by jbond
First off, I read the usual articles, and I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about trading Chambers, so can someone please either point that out to me or can we drop the 'chambers' thing until we see it otherwise?

i dont have a link, but there was one earlier and in one article it definitely did mention "some combination of ogunleye/madison/chambers/and picks"

as for the contract issues, i'd be willing to wager that moss would be more likely to restructure than madison is at this point, so we could still possibly keep our current cap space, or improve it by restructuring moss/surtain/ricky and getting the O-linemen we want

Back
Top Bottom