[MERGED] OC Finally: Dan Henning appointed Offensive Coordinator | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] OC Finally: Dan Henning appointed Offensive Coordinator

What exactly is that and how does it work? I'e seen this mentioned on this board before and don't get it. Especially when time is limited on the field of play.

Ummmm, well Hennings calls a play that Sparano doesnt like so Sparano calls one that he things would work.. OVERSEEING.. Billick in Baltimore did it with Fassell and Fassells playcalling got so bad he got fired midseason for it. Cam did it with Poolarky last year (Although neither cam nor poolarky know how to play call). PLenty of coaches hear the calls being made. Interms of having enought time.. Well if they thing the wrong plays are being called, they better get the change done quickly

I think people forget that when Hennig built the Panthers offense, it was built on the power run with Steve Smith and Mushin Muhammad (who both had an All-Pro year apiece with Hennig as their OC) catching passes. Fact is the Panthers no longer had the personel to run Hennig's schemes. Our offense won't change too much but there are some differences...

1)More power running
2)More 2 TE sets with the TEs
3)FB involvement in offense
4)More WR options
5)More vertical passing

Let's be honest about Hennig's last couple years in Carolina. After their Super Bowl run Stephen Davis got injured, and DeShaun Foster has always been a walking injury. The best RB they've had since their Super Bowl run was backup FB Nick Goings (maybe not in terms of yards, but definatly in effectiveness). The Panthers were also never able to replace Mushin Muhammad and Ricky Prhoel (or even Kevin Dyson). Kerry Colbert had a great rookie year, but has regressed. Drew Carter is good for a big play every now and then. Keyshawn was old. Neither Dwyane Jarrett or Ryne Robinson got a look on offense.

Bottom line: aside from Steve Smith the Panthers do not have good skills players.

Well this signing is going to mean Ginn is going to be used as a double threat like Steve Smith was used and secondly ... can this lead me to believe that we're going to have the Johnson Cousin's in our team? :bighug:

Alright i was thinking about it and i went back and watched some of the highlights from the NE/Carolina Super Bowl and 2 key plays that kept them in the game were both draws called by Dan Henning. The Steven Davis draw play that got them in FG range before the half and the Desean Foster TD play were he broke like 6 tackles and dove it in.

Again - I'm sorry - I don't mean to log in and spread doom-and-gloom. Henning may work out just fine in Miami and I hope he does. There's nothing I'd rather see that Miami kicking New England's tail year after year . . .

I'm just saying during his tenure here in Carolina, he ended up being hated by just about every Panther fan I know. He was literally run out of town on a rail. . .

Sure - Henning looked good when we had Stephen Davis - a big power back that could just flat run over folks and carry them for a couple of yards . . . but what made Panther fans furious was what I said before - his inability to adjust - either to personnel or game time decisions. That's the major issue here and the big knock against him. Once Stephen Davis left, I'm not sure Henning knew . . . he just kept calling the same darn draw plays - but without the personnel to make it work. And believe me - he took a lot of crap here on sports radio and in the Observer and his play calling - yet he never changed.

Enough of that. That's my last post about Henning. I'm excited about the Dolphins new brain trust and the direction they are heading. You have to trust that they are making the right decisions - and maybe Henning will be a perfect fit - time will tell. All I can say is GO DOLPHINS!!!

Back
Top Bottom