MERGED-PFT Saban done after season-Spartans want Saban | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED-PFT Saban done after season-Spartans want Saban

Bjorn

Go Giants
Reaction score
SABAN LOOKING TO FLEE FROM THE FINS?
Surprisingly, there's a rumor making the rounds that Dolphins coach Nick Saban might try to get out of Miami after the 2006 season.
The talk is that Saban sees no light at the end of the tunnel for a franchise with an aging nucleus and an unsettled quarterback situation. And the fact that he's on his way to the first losing record of his coaching career is "killing him," we're told.
Even if the Fins continue to flounder and win the Brady Quinn derby, it'll be a couple of years (at least) before Quinn can make a difference.
Of course, the mere fact that Saban might want out means nothing if the team doesn't want him to leave. He is under contract through the 2009 season. Though the franchise can't force him to honor the deal, they most likely can keep him from coaching for anyone else.
But we won't rule out a mutual parting of the ways, because owner Wayne Huizenga surely can't be happy with the current status of the team in light of the sky-high preseason expectations. If, for example, Saban wants out and Huizenga wants him out, then perhaps the two sides agree that he'll be released from his obligations and that he'll be owed no salary for 2007 through 2009.
If Saban leaves, the obvious question is where would he go next? Vacancies in the NFL might be scarce next season, even though there are several cities in which the current coach could retire (Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington, Seattle, Indy), quit (Tennessee, Cardinals), or be fired (Ravens, Browns, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, Cardinals, 49ers).
Want an intriguing possibility? How about the Bears, where head coach Lovie Smith still hasn't gotten an extension beyond the 2007 season. What if they win the Super Bowl and he asks to be released so that he can go coach, say, a team in his home state of Texas? Saban and Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo are good friends, and Saban could end up on the short list to replace Smith.
Or Saban could return to the college game. Though we don't follow "amateur" football closely enough to know which jobs might come open, Joe Collegio of our sister site recently has mentioned that Mike Shula could be in trouble at Alabama.
Keep in mind that this is simply wild-*** speculation. But what's not speculation is the chatter regarding Saban's unhappiness with his current situation. If the feeling becomes mutual, Saban's stay in South Florida could end up being just as long (and possibly not as successful) as Steve Spurrier's two-season stint with the 'Skins.

I personally don't think Saban would give up on the Dolphins, but I don't know him. All I know is what I read

SECfootball said:
It's PFT.

I know, but ever since I have been reading there sight they haven't completely pulled something out of the arse. I know alot of people dislike their sight but it is listed under "rumormill" and not the "football facts of the week". They are merely informing everyone of the things that are floating through the NFL grapevine.

As PFT admitted as much, I'll take their word for it that it's wild-*** speculation. ;) Indeed, the part about Lovie Smith *not* getting a contract extension is laughable. I think Saban stays and we get better next year.

This is the type of stuff we use to read and laugh at about other team's coaches...never ours. Now it doesn't seem as funny anymore.

I read PFT daily and love the site.

That said, I think this "rumor" is nonsense. Saban is unhappy in Miami. No kidding. None of the players or coaches are happy. We suck.

And why would Saban be a candidate for another NFL job if he "failed" in Miami?

Gardenhead said:
I read PFT daily and love the site.

That said, I think this "rumor" is nonsense. Saban is unhappy in Miami. No kidding. None of the players or coaches are happy. We suck.

And why would Saban be a candidate for another NFL job if he "failed" in Miami?

Especially to take over the Bears? This is just the NFL rumor meme, it'll pass after some other rumor takes over.

That would mean Saban was admitting he couldnt do it. And if I think I know anything about Saban its that he wouldnt admit he couldnt handle a challenge

That colum lost credibility when they stated Saban would replace Smith in Chicago....Chicago is winning right now, why would they release Smith? Just because Jerry Angelo is good freinds w/Saban???

That's ridiculous.

On-top of all that he has said repeatedly when asked about players "not buying in" , that he was going to be here and those players would not.

Like any rumor, the likelihood that there's truth to it is minimal.

PFT gets some stuff right. Some stuff wrong. I do question what they throw up on that site though. I know for a fact that one recent story they published regarding the Phins was pure hogwash. Not to say that they simply fabricated it. But perhaps they got it from a"source who completely fabricated it or isn't much of a "source" to begin with.

At any rate, I seriously doubt Saban will leave at season's end.

This is wild speculation.Wayne didnt give up on Wanny until he resigned.The only way I could see this happening is if Saban quit and if he does quiit which I doubt then we dont need him.

That's a very sensationalist thread title.

I've heard the rumors, but the people I've heard the rumors to are mostly very bitter nonsense people like Hank Goldberg.

PFT is right far more often than they are wrong. Combined with many people commenting on the change in Nick's demeanor and that he may be buckling under the pressure of his first losing season - there may be more to this than you think.

Look at Pete Carroll - gets run out of the NFL and then basically becomes top dog in the college ranks. Nick knows he can win in college and may be inclined to go back to that if the money is similar.

Back
Top Bottom