MERGED-PFT Saban done after season-Spartans want Saban | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED-PFT Saban done after season-Spartans want Saban

And who would replace Saban?

Capers? Mularkey?

No thank you.

Finfan80 said:
I agree 100%, finally someone is listening to what Saban has said and not some unnamed source.

Anyone notice that there have been a lot of stories recently (PFW, PFT, poss others) citing unnamed NFL sources? PFW's unnamed NFL talent evaluator, PFT's 'market chatter'. The NFL is a place run by guys with big egos, many of whom act like silly morons because of it: Mike Martz, Polian, Billick, JJ...the list is endless. Last season's buzz around Saban probably bruised more than a few egos and caused a lot of jealousy. Now that he is down it's payback time.
None of those guys, NOT ONE, is willing to go on record. What does that tell you? That a lot of gutless wonders are taking free pot-shots at our guy and the press are all-too-willing to lap it up even given the fact that it is 100% baseless, grounded in no facts, nothing substantial at all. As rumors go, these are about as low quality as you can get. It almost falls in the category of schoolgirl gossip.
I have seen nothing that would make me think Saban won't be back. Not anything in the press, not anything in his career history, and not in his own words -the book he wrote. It goes totally against what his stated philosophy is.

My theory is PFT trolls the message boards of NFL teams looking for dirt to put up on their site.

So Saban's going to leave $15 million on the table with total organizational control of a historic NFL franchise to coach at MICHIGAN STATE?

I won't go any further.

you guys are hilarious. go ahead and dismiss the possibility that a coach who is being paid nearly $5 mil a year would A) want to leave a miserable situation or B) be asked to leave after a miserable season.

somewhere along the way you missed the fact that the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. why should wayne pay a coach $5 mil per when he can get the same results from paying a coach less than half that? where is the proof that nick saban is going to turn this franchise around?THERE IS NONE!!! name one move nick has mad thus far that has significantly improved this team. hell, name one move he's made that has improved this team period. he hasn't. we're 1-6, about to be 1-7 and will probably win 4 or less games this year. we did that in 2004. there has been no progress made. i'm willing to give nick another year, but would not be surprised one bit if he is no longer the dolphins' head coach after this season.

I'm a big Saban fan. I read his book, checked his stats as a coach, analyze his press conferences, I like the way he does things. From what I've seen from him I can't picture him leaving anytime soon, he's too convinced that his method works to just quit, especially after such a short time.

RWhitney014 said:
So Saban's going to leave $15 million on the table with total organizational control of a historic NFL franchise to coach at MICHIGAN STATE?

I won't go any further.

I agree with you, but you can bet some people on here are going to melt down over this rumor.

The people saying Saban should go will take it as gospel and start calling him a quiter and a loser while some people that want Saban to stay will start to freak out claiming the end of the Dolphins is here.

Should be entertaining around here as usual.

thecoordinator said:
you guys are hilarious. go ahead and dismiss the possibility that a coach who is being paid nearly $5 mil a year would A) want to leave a miserable situation or B) be asked to leave after a miserable season.

somewhere along the way you missed the fact that the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. why should wayne pay a coach $5 mil per when he can get the same results from paying a coach less than half that? where is the proof that nick saban is going to turn this franchise around?THERE IS NONE!!! name one move nick has mad thus far that has significantly improved this team. hell, name one move he's made that has improved this team period. he hasn't. we're 1-6, about to be 1-7 and will probably win 4 or less games this year. we did that in 2004. there has been no progress made. i'm willing to give nick another year, but would not be surprised one bit if he is no longer the dolphins' head coach after this season.
you've got a point.

b_hjelmeland123 said:
SABAN LOOKING TO FLEE FROM THE FINS?
Surprisingly, there's a rumor making the rounds that Dolphins coach Nick Saban might try to get out of Miami after the 2006 season.
The talk is that Saban sees no light at the end of the tunnel for a franchise with an aging nucleus and an unsettled quarterback situation. And the fact that he's on his way to the first losing record of his coaching career is "killing him," we're told.
Even if the Fins continue to flounder and win the Brady Quinn derby, it'll be a couple of years (at least) before Quinn can make a difference.
Of course, the mere fact that Saban might want out means nothing if the team doesn't want him to leave. He is under contract through the 2009 season. Though the franchise can't force him to honor the deal, they most likely can keep him from coaching for anyone else.
But we won't rule out a mutual parting of the ways, because owner Wayne Huizenga surely can't be happy with the current status of the team in light of the sky-high preseason expectations. If, for example, Saban wants out and Huizenga wants him out, then perhaps the two sides agree that he'll be released from his obligations and that he'll be owed no salary for 2007 through 2009.
If Saban leaves, the obvious question is where would he go next? Vacancies in the NFL might be scarce next season, even though there are several cities in which the current coach could retire (Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington, Seattle, Indy), quit (Tennessee, Cardinals), or be fired (Ravens, Browns, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, Cardinals, 49ers).
Want an intriguing possibility? How about the Bears, where head coach Lovie Smith still hasn't gotten an extension beyond the 2007 season. What if they win the Super Bowl and he asks to be released so that he can go coach, say, a team in his home state of Texas? Saban and Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo are good friends, and Saban could end up on the short list to replace Smith.
Or Saban could return to the college game. Though we don't follow "amateur" football closely enough to know which jobs might come open, Joe Collegio of our sister site recently has mentioned that Mike Shula could be in trouble at Alabama.
Keep in mind that this is simply wild-*** speculation. But what's not speculation is the chatter regarding Saban's unhappiness with his current situation. If the feeling becomes mutual, Saban's stay in South Florida could end up being just as long (and possibly not as successful) as Steve Spurrier's two-season stint with the 'Skins.

I personally don't think Saban would give up on the Dolphins, but I don't know him. All I know is what I read

It's PFT. Saban won't leave until the job is done or at least we make the playoffs consistently. But if Mike Shula's job at Alabama is in jeopardy, this is pure suggestion, but maybe we can bring him in to replace Mularkey at OC or QB coach if Garrett is promoted. A monkey with a switchboard can do a better job calling plays than Mularkey (who's better at designing gadget plays than calling em).

Interesting that you tab Medlock as your 7th rounder. I go to UCLA and the general impression is that he's a drunkard ala Janikowski. But he does have range and better clutch than our broken down Mare.

After just reading the first part of the article:

"The talk is that Saban sees no light at the end of the tunnel for a franchise with an aging nucleus and an unsettled quarterback situation. And the fact that he's on his way to the first losing record of his coaching career is "killing him," we're told.
Even if the Fins continue to flounder and win the Brady Quinn derby, it'll be a couple of years (at least) before Quinn can make a difference. "

It leads me to believe that it is indeed wild *** speculation. First of all, I doubt that a coach with his ego sees no light at the end of the tunnel, especially with the turnover he's made on the roster so far and his good friend Bill Belichick having had major success; secondly, they scouted Brady Quinn last year (and were reportedly enamoured with him) when they thought he may come out early. Would one year really make a difference?

Also, as a few others have posted, It would be surprising that with his drive to succeed, combined with his statments on building a team for the long haul and finally having money under the cap, he were to suddenly bolt.

The only way I really see Saban leaving is if he truly misses the college game, which wouldn't be impossible given how hard it was for us and other teams to try and get him to leave the college ranks.

I don't believe it for a second.

However if it did come to be true, I would instantly lose all respect for Saban. I don't think he's that type of guy at all.

i just listened to the nick saban show & a caller brought up the rumor of him going back to michigan state & saban said he's happy where he's at & he's not interested in going back north.

Back
Top Bottom